San Diego Pre-Cruise Help

mjarens

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]We will have two full days precruise in San Diego next February before our Mercury sailing. Any suggestions for "must see" attractions, restaurants, gardens? We plan on using public transportation and taxi. Suggesitons on precruise hotel would be appreciated too.

Thanks

Not being from San Diego, just a frequent visitor who has a friend to take her places, I'm not sure of logistics, but I can tell you where I love to go: Hotel del Coronado for brunch out on the terrace by the ocean, the gaslight area downtown, outlet malls by the Mexican border, Cheesecake Factory, San Diego Zoo, Wild Animal Park, La Jolla, Kobe's Swap Meet, and tons of other stuff I'm sure others will tell you about. Zoo and Wild Animal Park are world class! Wish I could go with you!

Until the Zenith! Second X Cruise In Two Months!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;11;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

A little bit touristy, but we have done this a couple times, The Old Town Trolley. It takes you all around the town and you can get off at a number of spots. Go to [url="http://www.historictours.com"]www.historictours.com[/url] to read up on it. I would also suggest Sea World, I love it there. The Zoo is wonderful, as is Balboa Park, Old Town, Gas Lamp District, Coronado, etc... we drive down a couple times a year and never get tired of San Diego.

As far as hotels go, there are so many it is hard to suggest only one. My suggestion would be to do a search on Expedia, then go direct to the hotel site, usually you can get a better price direct.

Kathy

Just moved from downtown San Diego so I'll give you my 2 cents worth. Both San Diego Zoo and Sea World are great, as is Balboa Park where there are several museums. You should also go down to Seaport Village, kind if touristy but very pretty and charming.
For dinner I would reccomend Humphreys on Shelter Island; Candelas downtown (elegant spanish/mexican dining); also, the Gaslamp district has dozens of fine resturants, all within walking distance of each other.Also, right next to where the ship will be, Anthony's by the Sea is fantastic, pricy but fantistic (not to be confused by Anthonys resturant next door, same owners but different style of dining). Bon Appetit [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

03/03 Carnival Spirit/Panama Canal/17 days
03/04 Norweigan Dream Transatlantic/Europe/17 nights
07/04 Celebrity/ Century/Caribbean/7 nights
09/04 Celebrity Summit/Alaska/14 nights
12/04 Celebrity Mercury/Mexico/10 nights

As a life long resident..

Here's what I always recomend to first time visitors...

First Day

A day at the San Diego Zoo is really much more than a zoo day some where else. First the zoo itself is the [B]"BEST IN THE WORLD"[/B], and is worth the trip by itself. Second the zoo is located in the Balboa Park, and share's the park with all of San Diegos many fine Museums ,as well as its "Old Globe theater,and IMAX complex, so in reality you'll have an entire day well spent in the Park by visiting the Zoo.

Your Second day..

Sea World is basicly just an amusement park and requires the entire day .. (yawnnn !!)
But as an option, why not a morning enjoying "La Jolla cove and La Jolla Village" area and its quaint shops and restaurants, and then the afternoon at the near by "La Jolla Scripps Aquarium" (not "Sea World", but You'll still get to see pretty fish in tanks .. LOL)... In my option the La Jolla area of San Diego around UCSD campus is absolutly beautiful, & again a day well spent.

As far Hotels..
If you stay near the Bay or the Downtown area you really can't go wrong.
Another option about a 10 minute drive from the cruise terminal is the "Mission Valley" area and its famous "Hotel Circle" and its 2 Shopping Malls, again a good location.

So do a web search and find out what works for you and your budget.

Hopes this helps

Srpilo

~~14 Cruises & Counting~~

~~ Last Year's ~~
Rhapsody - Western 2/02/03
Zaandam - Alaska 5/31/03
Zenith - Bermuda 10/04/03

~~ This Years Just Back ~~
Horizon - 10 day Ultimate 4/02/04

~~ Next up 15 ~~
<MARQUEE> Zuiderdam - Eastern 9/11/04 ... Zuiderdam - Eastern 9/11/04 ... Zuiderdam - Eastern 9/11/04 ... Zuiderdam - Eastern 9/11/04 ... </MARQUEE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iamirish:
mjarens:

What part of town (hotel) are you staying at? As you can see from tuggers reply, there is much to see and do here.

Tom<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>We stayed at the Holiday Inn it is a nice hotel and right across from the cruise boat terminal Lorelle

You might want to think about renting a car while you are in San Diego. As a native of Southern California I can tell you that public transportation can be non-existent for the areas where you want to go. By the time you buy a few taxi rides, you will more than cover the cost of a rental car.

Everyone else's suggestions of where to go are right on the money. My favorite is Coronado Island and the Del Cornado Hotel. It is an awesome place for brunch. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] A close second is La Jolla, which is where my Mom lives, so I am spoiled. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Mindi

[img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/boat.gif[/img]
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;12;4;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Constellation - Southern Caribbean

Infinity to Alaska 8-03 [url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=147097554&m=8233026937"]Review[/url]
Millennium to Eastern Carribbean 11-02

If you go the "Webcam--Summit in San Diego today (Friday)" thread on Celebrity and on the first comment, if you click on the "here" it will take you to the San Diego Cruise Terminal. If you zoom out - you will see the Holiday Inn - it is the shorter building that is blue on the left side and "pink" on top. You can see why a lot of people stay there.

Tom

My daughter has lived in San Diego for 10 years we have visited her and taken several cruises out of San Diego. The 992 bus goes from the airport to downtown San Diego on the half hour for a cost of $2.25 each way or $1.00 if you are a senior (60 years old).

Horizon, 9/5/04, Sapphire Princess, 6/13/004 ?
Zuiderdam-2003, Constellation -2003, Infinity-2002, Vision of the Seas-2002,
Mercury-2001, Norwegian Sky-2000, Horizon-2000, Ryndam-1999, Grand Princess-1999, Westerdam-1998, Grand Princess-1998, Oriania-1997
1985-1996-3-HAL, 1-RCCL, 2-NCL, 11-Princess, 1-Royal, 1-Cunard

Hello,

We sailed on the Mercury's 10 day San Diego round trip (Mex. Riviera) in Feb.

We found the Holiday Inn on the Bay to be very central to everything. Request a bay front room, and you will wake up in the a.m. open up the drapes, and "Voila" there will be the Mercury!! You can, quite literally, walk across the street to the Cruise Ship Terminal. Ruth's Chris Steak House is right next to the hotel. A marine museum is right across the street...much to see and do. Enjoy

Don and Kathie

Carnivale - March 1980 Honeymoon Cruise
Horizon, Feb. '01 Deep Western Caribbean out of Aruba
Horizon, Feb. '03 Western Caribbean We Missed the Boat!!
Mercury, Feb. '04 10-Night San Diego Round-Trip
Summit, Feb 18, '05 10-Day Ultimate Caribbean Our 25th Anniversary

Okay, a slightly different approach from a "quasi-local" (One brother lives there, another went to school there and one daugther is currently in school at UCSD...and we just go down to La Jolla-where we have a beach house-a lot)...

First, where to stay:
Pretty much a function of what price range you want to be in, how long you're there for and what you want to do...With only a couple of days and leaving on a cruise, you will want to stay somewhere near Downtown/port...The Holiday Inn may be close, but, I would prefer one of two areas:
1) slightly down Harbor Drive, near Seaport Village, there is an Embassy Suites, a Hyatt and a Marriott...
2) Right in the Gaslamp/Horton Plaza area, the Westin Horton Plaza, the U.S. Grant or the Westgate...

Of course, those choices may be a bit pricy for some...The advantages of staying in those areas include the short walking distance to the restaurants, nightlife and shops of the area...

What to do in San Diego also greatly depends on what you like to do and how much time you have...

Obviously, the San Diego Zoo and Sea World are "standards"...but, of course, not for everybody...The Zoo is the world's best...but, I can largely do without Sea World (of course, my wife loves it)...To the north of San Diego, there is the Wild Animal Park (which I find more fascinating than the Zoo...but, it is a good ride out of town), Legoland--up in Carlsbad, for those with young kids, La Jolla--with its quaint shops and restaurants for the more sophisticated crowd...You can also get hot air balloon rides that float you over Del Mar and Rancho Santa Fe and surrounds...

In San Diego, aside from the zoo, there's the historical Old Town, there's the Mission...near the Zoo, in Balboa Park, there are a number of museums...You can also take a Harbor boat tour...

If you weren't already going to nicer places in Mexico, I'd suggest Tijuana as fun for bargain-shopping...

There are water sports available at Mission Bay...

In the evenings, I would wander the Gaslamp and search out nice restaurants and walk through Horton Plaza for shopping...

Check out the "Old Town Trolley tours" which offers an on-and-off bus for about $24...and goes to most of the sites...

Have fun...

Summit, July 3, 2004: Alaska: 13 night cruisetour

Tom,

We are not sure where to stay. We saw several hotels near the cruise dock, but wondered if there was a reason to stay elsewhere for Friday, Sat & Sunday night that would be more central to getting around. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
mjarens
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iamirish:
mjarens:

What part of town (hotel) are you staying at? As you can see from tuggers reply, there is much to see and do here.

Tom<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Next cruise: Mercury Feb 7, 2005 Mexican Riviera

Thanks to everyone for all of your suggestions. We will most likely do try the Zoo and Balboa Park excursions, and maybe the trolley tour. I don't know why but La Jolla seems to be tugging at me, too. Gaslamp in the evening - we are foody folks and love good restaurants. Maybe staying there would be fun too.

Thanks again,
mjarens
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mjarens:
[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]We will have two full days precruise in San Diego next February before our Mercury sailing. Any suggestions for "must see" attractions, restaurants, gardens? We plan on using public transportation and taxi. Suggesitons on precruise hotel would be appreciated too.

Thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Next cruise: Mercury Feb 7, 2005 Mexican Riviera

I second the idea of renting a car since La Jolla, if you decide to go there, is not an easy trip on public transportation and prohibitively expensive by taxi. The trip that all of my out of town friends love (we have now done it several times and it was wonderful everytime) is the photo safari at the San Diego Wild Animal Park (about 40 miles north). There are trips of varying lengths, but you have to sign up well ahead of time. You are taken out into the animal enclosure on an open truck. You will feed giraffes and will feed rhinos by basically sticking apples in their mouths. You will be within a few feet feet of numerous incredible animals and there is no fence! Check it out [url="http://www.sandiegozoo.org/calendar/wap_photo_caravan.html"]here.[/url]

Linda

For hotels, the Holiday Inn on the Bay is close (really close) to the cruise terminal, but really nothing else.

I would consider either the grande dame Westgate Hotel (Leading Hotels of the World) or the Manchester Grand Hyatt. The Westgate is an easy cab ride to the cruise terminal and at the downtown end of the Gaslamp district. The Grand Hyatt is right near Seaport Village at the other end of the Gaslamp District. Consider if nothing else having cocktails on the top floor of the Hyatt - incredible views!

One other thing to consider is February is prime convention time in San Diego (which is why I often travel there). So you might want to make sure and make reservations early - you can always change as the date approaches. The Westgate, Grand Hyatt and Holiday Inn are often host hotels for big conventions.

Another suggestion - Hilton has just built a boutique style hotel at the entrance to the Gaslamp district. I haven't stayed there but did have a business breakfast there. It looked very nice and it's in what I consider a super location.

Have fun with your planning! I always do!

Joe

Constellation Transatlantic 09-07-2004
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ffd700&cdt=2004;09;07;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000[/img]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mjarens:
Tom,

We are not sure where to stay. We saw several hotels near the cruise dock, but wondered if there was a reason to stay elsewhere for Friday, Sat & Sunday night that would be more central to getting around. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
mjarens [QUOTE]

mjarens:

If you want to e-mail me, I would be glad to help you. Please put Cruise Critic in the "re" line. My e-mail address is iamirish at email dot com

Tom

WE book a room on hotwire for 49 dollars a night and it is the Holiday inn harbor view on first street, the ohter holiday inn is $85. a 3.5 star. both have free airport suttle. I do love la jolla but it is pricy, about $300 a night for Torri Pines, but if you like to golf got for it.

The Holiday Inn on First Ave is [B]NOT[/B] the Holiday Inn across the street from the Cruise Terminal. The Holiday Inn by the Cruise Terminal is called:
Holiday Inn on the Bay
1355 N Harbor Dr
San Diego, CA 92101
(619) 232-3861

Tom

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Magillicutti:
I have to put my 2 cents in. If you like Mexican food go to Old Town and eat at Casa de Pico....it's wonderful and very inexpensive!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Neighbor...do I know you????? [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Celebrity Century 5/8/04 -Western Caribbean
Carnival Ecstasy 2/04 - Baja
Tahitian Princess 2/03- French Polynesia
Sea Princess 7/02 - Alaska
Carnival Ecstasy 5/02 - Baja
Royal Caribbean Monarch 10/00 - Southern Caribbean
Carnival Elation 10/99 - Mexican Riviera
Royal Caribbean Monarch 1/97 - Southern Caribbean

<a href="mailto:PrincessOfQAL1@aol.com"> Click here to email me

<a href="http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/princessofqal1">Celebrity Century pics

We love Mexican. Thanks for the suggestion. Old Town is on our list.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Magillicutti:
I have to put my 2 cents in. If you like Mexican food go to Old Town and eat at Casa de Pico....it's wonderful and very inexpensive!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;2;7;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Days until our next cruise Mercury Feb 7, 2005

JoePDX,

Thanks for the details re: conventions. I think we will hone in on our choice early like you suggested and change later if needed. Will definately check out the boutique hotel.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JoePDX:
For hotels, the Holiday Inn on the Bay is close (really close) to the cruise terminal, but really nothing else.

I would consider either the grande dame Westgate Hotel (Leading Hotels of the World) or the Manchester Grand Hyatt. The Westgate is an easy cab ride to the cruise terminal and at the downtown end of the Gaslamp district. The Grand Hyatt is right near Seaport Village at the other end of the Gaslamp District. Consider if nothing else having cocktails on the top floor of the Hyatt - incredible views!

One other thing to consider is February is prime convention time in San Diego (which is why I often travel there). So you might want to make sure and make reservations early - you can always change as the date approaches. The Westgate, Grand Hyatt and Holiday Inn are often host hotels for big conventions.

Another suggestion - Hilton has just built a boutique style hotel at the entrance to the Gaslamp district. I haven't stayed there but did have a business breakfast there. It looked very nice and it's in what I consider a super location.

Have fun with your planning! I always do!

Joe

Constellation Transatlantic 09-07-2004
[url="http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ffd700&cdt=2004;09;07;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000"]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ffd700&cdt=2004;09;07;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000[/url] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;2;7;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Days until our next cruise Mercury Feb 7, 2005

There a bunch of Holiday Inns in the area and they are deceptive. The one you want is, as said above, Holiday Inn on the Bay. You do NOT want Holiday Inn Bayside ot Holiday Inn Harbor View. They make it difficult, huh?

Linda

Archived