West Coast Repo Cruisers-need Your Help

Lizzybell

Hello-we are on NCL Star repo cruise 9/25/05-i have never sailed on NCL & have several questions specifically for all of you prev Pacific Coastal cruisers on NCL

1) Since this is only a 5 nite cruise, is there a "formal nite" and if so, do most passengers participate as far as "really dressing up"? 2) in your experience on a repo cruise, was the menu essentially the same or was it missing some key items-i have heard mention that there is no choc buffet :( etc 3)By all i have read I like the idea of a more relaxed dress code-will I be dressed appropriately in nice slacks/top or nice dress etc. for dinner. 4) While I know the average temps of the ports we will be visiting, I am clueless as to what the temp will be at night and sea days in Sept. for west coast-is a heavy jck needed for lots of deck time?? 5) Lastly, any personal favorites that you would like to share: menu items not to be missed, same w/ desserts, quiet deck area, nook/cranny- public space that became your favorite, recommended entertainment acts. Thanks much-I really appreciate everyones responses. Liz

I have not been on Star yet (will be getting off in YVR when you are getting on), but I have done other Pacific Coastal with NCL. There was a formal night but, as with all NCL cruises that I have been on, less than 40-50% of passengers participated. Resort casual is still the order of the day for dress code (no shorts or jeans in the dining rooms after 6 pm). The long range forecast for the Pacific Northwest is for cooling weather and some rain by the end of September, so the at sea times should reflect that as well. Having a light jacket when at sea is never a BAD idea. I never noted much difference in the menus between coastals and regular cruises and we actually DID have a chocoholic's buffet, so that must be a new change. You are sure to enjoy it.

Hi, Lizzybell:

We did the Star's spring repo this year, and the Sun's spring repo last year. I don't recall seeing lobster on the menu on our Sun 5-day cruise, but then we ate in the specialy restaurants every night except the formal night. We did have them on the Star (a 7-day) this year, on formal night. Other than that, I feel that the menus are the same as for the longer cruises.

Formal night certainly doesn't require "really dressing up." Some women will wear their finest, but many will be in resort casual retire. We had dinner this year with some of our CruiseCritic friends, and DH (and the other men) were in their black suits. One woman was in a long, satin gown, and another woman and I were in tea-length dresses.

It will be COLD and WINDY out on the decks while at sea. Layer and you'll be fine.

There are some nice window seats along the hall next to the Sushi Bar. We really liked the Red Lion Pub (the tables near the back of the room by the windows), Gatsby's (downstairs from Ginza and the Sushi Bar and next to Le Bistro), and the Star Bar. If you're planning to eat in Le Bistro, IMHO the best seating is just outside the door inside the Wine Cellar, especially if you request the table at the very back. It's very private, and there's usually a pianist in Gatsby's. Don't miss the chocolate fondue there. There's ice cream available every afternoon right outside the fitness center (crazy place for ice cream) on the starboard side.

Your cruise director will be Kieron Buffery, who is so much fun and a genuinely nice person (my very favorite so far), and don't miss Shawn Farquhar's magic show (so good we bought his DVD). Jeffrey Allen was playing Elton John tunes on our trip, and we really enjoyed him. The Jean Ann Ryan shows are out of this world good.

You'll love the Star. I want to go! There's a link in my signature to our photos.

Adele

Seattle cruise lover and Adele-thanks for all the great information on the Star. Will change my wardrobe a little to reflect colder weather on deck. Good to hear @ the magician, looking forward to seeing him. Adele-your pics are great, thanks for sharing them-i am more excited than ever!! Liz

Archived