which shows are on the dream right now? old or new?

Thankfully, the ship still has the old production shows, with the live show band, 12 dancers, & 2 singers. I'm not sure for how much longer though, as Carnival has really bought into the new playlist shows. Dream would have to go into drydock to get those playlist shows, and there isn't one scheduled right now.

The shows should still be the same ones that I've seen on all 3 trips on the ship. Dancing in the Streets is the best show. It uses the Fun Force dancers as well as a couple fly-on entertainers, in addition to the regular performers, so there will be 20 on-stage performers. Eight More Seconds is a country themed show. It uses Jimmy Hodge from Blackjack Band, who play in the oceans plaza most nights. Jimmy plays fiddle for the show, and does an amazing job. A year ago, they told me that they didn't have a guarantee to come back after their current contract ends in May. I do hope that they have been re-signed. They are amazing, and so friendly. And Jimmy adds a lot to that country show. The 3rd production show is Get Ready, a motown themed show. Not my favorite style, but I still really enjoyed it. No special performers added to that show. If it were my call, I would swap Get Ready for The Big Easy. That would give Dream my 3 favorite production shows, all on one ship. But they still have 3 of my 5 favorites.

I have been on at least one cruise with the older style productions and at least 1 with the newer ones (Playlist Production).

I like the older ones WAY BETTER, hands down. The sets, costumes, and simple number of people on stage add so much to it that stupid LED screens can't do. Not to mention the live orchestra is a nice bonus. I'm sailing on the Dream in 2 weeks and I cannot WAIT to see the old style shows after the Playlist on the last one!

Anyone that's been on the Dream recently, what other types of shows/entertainment do they have?

I've seen YouTube videos about a laser light show on the lido deck. Is that still a thing? Also, my first cruise on the Fantasy in 2009 had an AMAZING lineup, in addition to the production shows and comedians, they had a hypnotist, an incredible magic show, a great singer (Yolanda Barber), etc on nights their weren't big shows. Any comments on what they're doing these days besides the shows?

I have been on at least one cruise with the older style productions and at least 1 with the newer ones (Playlist Production).

I like the older ones WAY BETTER, hands down. The sets, costumes, and simple number of people on stage add so much to it that stupid LED screens can't do. Not to mention the live orchestra is a nice bonus. I'm sailing on the Dream in 2 weeks and I cannot WAIT to see the old style shows after the Playlist on the last one!

Anyone that's been on the Dream recently, what other types of shows/entertainment do they have?

I've seen YouTube videos about a laser light show on the lido deck. Is that still a thing? Also, my first cruise on the Fantasy in 2009 had an AMAZING lineup, in addition to the production shows and comedians, they had a hypnotist, an incredible magic show, a great singer (Yolanda Barber), etc on nights their weren't big shows. Any comments on what they're doing these days besides the shows?

I completely agree with you about the shows. I haven't been on the Dream in almost a year, but it is hard to say what other show(s) you'll have. There are several different fly-on performers that get on the ships in ports, then leave at the next one to catch a different ship. You would have to have access to the company's schedule for this to know who you will have, although there sometimes is a consistent rotation that can be figured out with tons of research. I have seen ventriloquists, a hypnotist, magician, comedy magician, different singers, comedy jugglers on different ships. I have seen a few of these performers on multiple ships.

Sometime around 2011, Carnival went to the thing where on the longer cruises, 6 or 7 days or more, there will be 1 night where there is no show at all in the theater. There was an uproar about that when it happened, but Carnival stuck with it, which is why I think the playlist shows will end up spreading to every ship, even though most people don't like them. So on the Dream, you will have 1 night with no show at all. Fortunately, the Dream has been good about scheduling some stuff on that night, while some other ships just shut down everything throughout the ship on that night. Dream has had some games in the theater, & a big deck party on the night where there's no show. It is cheap, but at least the ship isn't dead.

Laser light show was a failure on Dream. It's gone now. I saw it in 2010, and didn't think much of it. It's hard to do it on a moving ship, but I've never thought much of laser shows anyway.

Blackjack Band should be on the ship now, playing in the oceans plaza. Tell them that Colin says hi. If you get a chance, ask them if they'll be back on the Dream after their next vacation. I'm hoping that this spring will not be the end of them with Carnival.

Edited by k2excursion