Geelong AU-taxis available at port?

R & R Carroll

We will be tendering in Geelong and need transportation to Queenscliff to catch the ferry to Sorrento. Has anyone done this? Does anyone know if there are taxis readily available in this port and/or at the Queenscliff ferry terminal? Has anyone used Uber in Australia? I posted on the AUS/NZ board but have not had a response. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

We will be tendering in Geelong and need transportation to Queenscliff to catch the ferry to Sorrento. Has anyone done this? Does anyone know if there are taxis readily available in this port and/or at the Queenscliff ferry terminal? Has anyone used Uber in Australia? I posted on the AUS/NZ board but have not had a response. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Taxis are not a problem in Geelong and generally they will align themselves to meeting cruise ships.

At the moment Uber is illegal in Victoria but it is a current issue that could change. Uber are offering to speak to the regulators but at the moment they are facing fines every day.

Having said that, they do exist but personally I would not be involved in an "illegal operation"

I will try and get some more information for you... stay tuned:)

Hi Roseann, I just called the Geelong Tourism Office re your enquiry and they suggested using Geelong Taxis which you can contact via their website:

http://www.geelongtaxis.com.au

Should be no problem taking you to Queenscliff but would be best to book for both directions.

If anyone is interested in a leisurely visit to a beautiful little seaside town with wonderful eateries then Queenscliff is a place to visit.

Had a wonderful day there a couple of weeks ago; pub meals available at the lovely old Queenscliff Hotel in town and great seafood café at the Marina which is a short walk from main street.

Unfortunately I won't be in Melbourne when Marina visits this year as we will be in Canberra for a wedding.

Hope we turn on some good weather for you!

Jennie

Taxis are not a problem in Geelong and generally they will align themselves to meeting cruise ships.

At the moment Uber is illegal in Victoria but it is a current issue that could change. Uber are offering to speak to the regulators but at the moment they are facing fines every day.

Having said that, they do exist but personally I would not be involved in an "illegal operation"

I will try and get some more information for you... stay tuned:)

Thank you for the valuable information. We will most definitely not retain the services of Uber if they illegal. Greatly appreciate your input.

Hi Roseann, I just called the Geelong Tourism Office re your enquiry and they suggested using Geelong Taxis which you can contact via their website:

http://www.geelongtaxis.com.au

Should be no problem taking you to Queenscliff but would be best to book for both directions.

If anyone is interested in a leisurely visit to a beautiful little seaside town with wonderful eateries then Queenscliff is a place to visit.

Had a wonderful day there a couple of weeks ago; pub meals available at the lovely old Queenscliff Hotel in town and great seafood café at the Marina which is a short walk from main street.

Unfortunately I won't be in Melbourne when Marina visits this year as we will be in Canberra for a wedding.

Hope we turn on some good weather for you!

Jennie

Hello Jennie,

Hope you and Ron are doing well. As always, thank you so much for the wonderful information and recommendation. We will be taking the ferry to Sorrento to meet a tour guide who is taking us on a tour of wineries for the day. We are very much looking forward to visiting your beautiful country!

Enjoy the wedding and I hope at some point you can visit the east coast of the U.S. and we can show you around. How is the weather there?

Roseann

Hello Jennie,

Hope you and Ron are doing well. As always, thank you so much for the wonderful information and recommendation. We will be taking the ferry to Sorrento to meet a tour guide who is taking us on a tour of wineries for the day. We are very much looking forward to visiting your beautiful country!

Enjoy the wedding and I hope at some point you can visit the east coast of the U.S. and we can show you around. How is the weather there?

Roseann

The weather is as always, hot or cold and in between. Have had a few days of heavy rain and cooler weather which is a relief after several very warm and humid days.

At least everything has freshened up and a tinge of green is back in the grass.

Melbourne's weather can be anything and everything so always best to be prepared!

I will be in NYC for 3 nights in April after a wedding in LA and before heading to London, Paris and Belgium.

Ron has been reading some old National Geographics which have inspired him to want to explore areas around New York and Long Island Sound so planning that in 2017 with a Transatlantic Cruise and onto Belgium for 100th Anniversary of my Great Uncle's death in WW1.

Also looking forward to our Greek Islands and Turkey cruise on Riviera in September and then back to French Polynesia on Marina in March 2016.

We are hooked!!!

Enjoy your last few weeks of anticipation!

Jennie

Sorry to butt into your reunion :)

I am sure any input is greatly appreciated!!

Just happy that so many cruise ships are now visiting Australia allowing our International cruising friends to see our beautiful country.

As a Geelong resident I offer this advice . You will be tendered to the Geelong Waterfront below the Central Business District, where ample taxis should be available . Taxis in Australia are not cheap. Queenscliff is a 45 minute road trip from Geelong to the Sorrento ferry terminal at Queenscliff . The Sorrento ferry leaves Queenscliff on the hour for Sorrento. Returning from Sorrento to Queenscliff also departs Sorrento on the hour .

More cost effective if you get a group of four together to defray the taxi costs.

Contact Geelong Taxis and pre book cab for both forward and return journeys, as taxis will be thin on the ground in Queenscliff .

Really in Geelong you would be better and cheaper to take a ships tour as taxis are expensive in Australia .

Alternatively you could just go to Queenscliff by taxi or public bus (I can give you times if you like) . Queenscliff is lovely coastal village with great shops and eateries. (PS: Queenscliff Hotel no longer doing meals as of January 1st, 2015) but plenty of other eateries. ) Allow 60 minutes for bus trip each way . Ten minute walk from tender point to bus departure point in Central Geelong to Queenscliff. If interested I can provide both Weekday bus timetable and departure location and how to walk there from the tender point which is usually the Royal Geelong Yacht Club .

The weather is as always, hot or cold and in between. Have had a few days of heavy rain and cooler weather which is a relief after several very warm and humid days.

At least everything has freshened up and a tinge of green is back in the grass.

Melbourne's weather can be anything and everything so always best to be prepared!

I will be in NYC for 3 nights in April after a wedding in LA and before heading to London, Paris and Belgium.

Ron has been reading some old National Geographics which have inspired him to want to explore areas around New York and Long Island Sound so planning that in 2017 with a Transatlantic Cruise and onto Belgium for 100th Anniversary of my Great Uncle's death in WW1.

Also looking forward to our Greek Islands and Turkey cruise on Riviera in September and then back to French Polynesia on Marina in March 2016.

We are hooked!!!

Enjoy your last few weeks of anticipation!

Jennie

Thank you Jennie, will send you an email this evening.

As a Geelong resident I offer this advice . You will be tendered to the Geelong Waterfront below the Central Business District, where ample taxis should be available . Taxis in Australia are not cheap. Queenscliff is a 45 minute road trip from Geelong to the Sorrento ferry terminal at Queenscliff . The Sorrento ferry leaves Queenscliff on the hour for Sorrento. Returning from Sorrento to Queenscliff also departs Sorrento on the hour .

More cost effective if you get a group of four together to defray the taxi costs.

Contact Geelong Taxis and pre book cab for both forward and return journeys, as taxis will be thin on the ground in Queenscliff .

Really in Geelong you would be better and cheaper to take a ships tour as taxis are expensive in Australia .

Alternatively you could just go to Queenscliff by taxi or public bus (I can give you times if you like) . Queenscliff is lovely coastal village with great shops and eateries. (PS: Queenscliff Hotel no longer doing meals as of January 1st, 2015) but plenty of other eateries. ) Allow 60 minutes for bus trip each way . Ten minute walk from tender point to bus departure point in Central Geelong to Queenscliff. If interested I can provide both Weekday bus timetable and departure location and how to walk there from the tender point which is usually the Royal Geelong Yacht Club .

Thank you so much kuldalai for the very helpful information and taking the time to post. It is very much appreciated. Will let you know how we make out. There will be four of us sharing the taxi.Currently trying to get more specific information from the port authorities as to where our tender will drop us off so that I can accurately tell the taxi where to pick us up.