Cash or credit on islands?

Jeads323

We use credit as we find the exchange rate usually better plus we can get points.

If we are in a market or place that won't accept Visa (which is rare) we've never had an issue finding an ATM.

Only had issues with theft 3 times in my life, and twice it was due to breeches at stores a few miles from my home. The other time was an online merchant.

Edited by Lerin

Guest maddycat
I worked the islands for many years and used CC freely

never had a problem ... still use CC freely when cruising

have had more problems in MIAMI over the last 15 months than all the islands combined!

I watch my account activity via the web, but my CC company has caught bad activity b4 me ... usually within MINUTES

yes it is a bit of a pain to change all the account numbers for auto pays etc but my liability has been ZERO.

I carry a primary card that I use, and a backup (left in safe just in case) because if the primary is flagged as bad the account is locked and it can be several days (or more) b4 a new card catches up with you . . . .

I also use island ATMs to grab a little local cash . . .

I have one cc that I use strictly for automatic payments. The cc that I use for practically everything else has been canceled and re-issued twice in the last year due to merchant security breaches.

We use cash on the islands. We never buy anything expensive. We carry one cc just in case of an emergency.

Edited by maddycat