Passenger air-lifted from Breakaway last night

fonekween

We knew it had to be very serious as we were less than 10 hours from NYC

It was pitch black and windy and freezing. It is incredible to think that they need to lift such ill patients up like that. The hoist alone seems like it could kill them

I am under the impression that they can't land to pick up the pax. Since we followed orders and did not try to see the procedure I wonder if there is in fact an easier way to lift the pax

I personally was concerned about the several pregnant women onboard

They were all skinny but they looked more than 5 months to me and I've had a few kids myself

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

I am under the impression that they can't land to pick up the pax. Since we followed orders and did not try to see the procedure I wonder if there is in fact an easier way to lift the pax

The Breakaway is not capable of receiving a helicopter. You'll notice the LZ is marked "Winch Only" -- the meaning of which is obvious.

Contrary to popular belief, folks with big machines and dangerous jobs do not generally pick the most difficult and hazardous way to perform a task. If there was an easier and safer way, you can be assured they would find it and do it.

Here's an interesting thread on helicopters and ships with some insight from those who have experience with this sort of thing...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42899551

The last time I was on the BA (week prior to Christmas) we stopped and dropped anchor about 2 hours after leaving NYC. Before we stopped, there were two helicopters circling the ship at a very low altitude with sirens. There was also a huge twin engine jet that buzzed our tower. I have yet to find out what happened or what was going on. I asked the concierge, and he didn't know it even happened, then I forgot to ask the captain the one time I saw him. Anyone here have a clue?