Ease of use of manual wheelchair in Copenhagen?

flabuddy

We are taking a Baltic cruise that departs from Copenhagen. My husband has very limited mobility - he can climb a few stairs and maybe walk a half-block or so. We are planning to rent a mobility scooter on the ship. It's much more expensive to have the scooter rental company pick up or drop off the scooter in Copenhagen (as opposed to the ship), so we're debating whether to take a manual wheelchair for our initial overnight in Copenhagen and the few days we're spending in the city after the cruise. How easy is it to navigate a manual wheelchair around Copenhagen? Are there lots of cobblestones and uneven terrain? It will be extremely difficult for me to help push my husband up or down any inclines. Thanks

There are lots of bike paths in Copenhagen that are paved BUT the paths are full of rapidly moving bikes leaving you on the sidewalks. There are curb cuts at most of the corners but I was very happy to have my scooter with me. Copenhagen is fairly flat but the sites we wished to see were not close together. It would have been a lot of pushing or a lot of taxi rides to the various sites for us. Did you know that if you bring your scooter with you it does not entail a cost for the flight? I use a 35 lb scooter called a travelscoot that completely collapses. Another one I have read about is the Luggie which is said to collapse like a stroller. I have traveled enough with my travelscoot that it has paid for itself.

Thank you. Sounds like a manual wheelchair would be a lot of effort but not impossible (my husband would do most of his own pushing, but would need help getting up inclines, which I am unable to do). We don't currently own our own scooter, although that may change by the time of our trip this summer if his mobility continues to decline - my husband likes the four-wheeled gogo. If we did buy a scooter, we would be concerned with checking it on the plane and having it get damaged, which we've heard is not uncommon. Sounds like you haven't run into problems with flying with your travelscoot though.

I have limited mobility and took a manual wheelchair on our Baltic cruise in September 2013. In Copenhagen we used the HOHO bus which stopped immediately in front of our ship. There are quite a lot of cobblestones, but have been in places that are worse. We found Tallin to be the most difficult port of call on our Baltic cruise.

Don 't hesitate to buy a scooter you will not regret it. We have done 7 cruises with a wheelchair and 5 with both. We use the scooter mostly for the ship and believe me it has made such a difference to my husband! He can GO!! For example, when were in a shop he doesn't have to sit there while I look. Lol

We have taken both wc & scooter because some ports are just not practical for the scooter. Copenhagen is defiantly a scooter friendly city.

Our scooter was damaged on the flight to Venice but since we were there 4 days prior to the cruise they were able to fix it by the time we boarded. So happy we brought the wheelchair.venice isn't 'ta wheelchair let alone scooter friendly city. But even Venice which I consider one of the toughest cities was doable.

We have a Go Go with the bigger battery. We bought it on line new for less than half of the cost the med. supply store was asking for it I think we paid 500 .

We always gate check, give instructions to the guys that pick it up and pray it will be ok ..lol

Hope this helps, have a great cruise!

Karen

• 1 month later...

I have rented on TA and taken DW's Go-GO several times. WE were in Copenhagen last Spring for a week with her scooter. I would suggest that for what your going to spend for the rental, you can buy a new Go-Go from Internet retailers, take it with on all the planes for free and have it every day. CP was a lot of walking for me, but easy-Peasy for DW.

http://www.wayfair.com/Pride-Mobility-Go-Go-Travel-Vehicle-Ultra-X-3-Wheel-Scooter-SC40X-L2935-K~PRM1094.html?refid=GX50899285740-PRM1094_3364029&device=c&ptid=75699008460&PiID%5B%5D=3364029&gclid=CMKS45fVg8QCFZI0aQod_qUASA

When we were in Copenhagen I was still using a wheelchair and my husband pushed me all over. Well, we used the ship's shuttle to town and then he pushed me.

Our only problem was the height difference. He is very tall and bending over to push the chair was hard on his back. I have since learned that there are extension handles, which would have helped a lot. You can get them at mobility supply stores online.

We did a Baltic cruise last summer and my DH used his Tzora Lexus Light Scooter. It worked very well but be prepared for cobblestones. I don't see how you could push him through all the ports...You are going to hurt yourself!

We will be doing the British Isles this year and the scooter will come with us

Yoletta