Cuba now

ONT-CA

I am reposting this because we understand there is a lot of interest in the U.S. regarding travel to Cuba considering the recent travel announcements.

There is and has been a 7 day cruise to Cuba for two years now, set up between the Greek line of Louis Cristal and Canada's YourCubaCruse. The ship capacity is 1,200 passengers but it has been sailing prior to the recent lifting of restrictions at half capacity at best. It travels around the island stopping at four Cuban ports plus Montego Bay. One can board in Havana on Mondays or MoBay on Fridays and fares are all in Canadian dollars. We completed a back-to-back last season then decided to travel with the line, pre-charter, from Athens to Havana (25 days) arriving just before Christmas. So back we go again in late February for another b2b because it's a great deal and a great way to escape our winters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Seven day cruise out of Montego Bay aboard the Celestyal Crystal should see more than just we Canadians aboard this coming season.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/07/23/gop-controlled-senate-panel-votes-to-lift-cuba-travel-restrictions/?intcmp=latestnews

Hi, there are 2 male & 2 female couples from Sarasota doing the 1/1/16 Cuba cruise with Aqua Fest on this ship, looks like the ship may be close to 1/2 gay.

Another gay group is promoting the next 3 cruises on Celestyal

Hi, there are 2 male & 2 female couples from Sarasota doing the 1/1/16 Cuba cruise with Aqua Fest on this ship, looks like the ship may be close to 1/2 gay.

Another gay group is promoting the next 3 cruises on Celestyal

That didn't take long...:D Went into Aqua Fest site for interest sake and found that they are sold out on this cruise. Any idea as to the group involved with the following three sailings? We are booked out of Havana, last of January and first two of February.

A few days ago a friend asked me if I wanted to do a cabin share on one of the three tours to Cuba sold through Al and Chuck Travel. After reading about the company and the ship, I decided not to do it, but I thought I'd throw out the information.

Edited by KenCT

A few days ago a friend asked me if I wanted to do a cabin share on one of the three tours to Cuba sold through Al and Chuck Travel. After reading about the company and the ship, I decided not to do it, but I thought I'd throw out the information.

Thank you for this information.

A Greek ship register in Cyprus chartered by Canadians to sail around Cuba is a little unusual. But believe us, it works.

Yes, the ship is a little dated but I can tell you that she is in wonderful shape. And in comparison to other ships, I have never seen so many staff assigned to keep her that way. We thoroughly enjoyed the crew who were a lot of fun and most friendly. Cuba now will not be the Cuba of the coming years so we were and are glad to be a part of this early cruise adventure.

Cuba now will not be the Cuba of the coming years so we were and are glad to be a part of this early cruise adventure.

That's exactly what my friend said, and it's a good point. He also said that Cuba's hotel infrastructure is currently such that in staying onboard a cruise ship we'd have a level of accommodation that we spoiled Americans are used to. That, I thought, was also a good point.

I was more turned off reading about the partying, theme nights, etc. I'm an older guy, partnered with someone who hates cruises and who doesn't have a lot of vacation time anyway. The last thing I want on a cruise is to be surrounded by people who just want to play.

I hope when you return you'll post a review and a place where I can locate it. I would not rule it out for 2017.

...I hope when you return you'll post a review and a place where I can locate it. I would not rule it out for 2017.

I should first tell you that my partner and I have been aboard the Crystal both on four cruises around Cuba plus a trans Atlantic repositioning when it sailed from Athens to Havana, a total of 53 days. We are both very much seniors. We can't remember when we have been so wonderfully treated by the staff aboard any ship and we have over 30 cruises to our name. That said I would suggest that you visit the site that deals with this very cruise at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1850565&page=116

It is very large with many postings including mine but just scrolling through will give you a good idea of what this trip is all about.

Al & Chuck do not take the whole ship, so if you want to be a part of their parties, it is your choice to join them or not.

Aqua Fest offered this cruise a while back while A & C just jumped on the bandwagon.

I have heard lots of good things about Aqua Fest & not so nice thince things about A & C, comments coming from people who have traveled with both of them in the past.

For us, it doesn't mean anything that there is a large gay group on board, just a cruise we wanted to do & doing it with others that we enjoy

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...