Laundry Facilities on Voyager

marchmama

Hi,

What is your experience with the laundry facilities on the voyager? I'll be traveling over Thansgiving.

How much is it?

Do I need to bring my own detergent and fabric softner?

How are the machines?

Is it crowded (ie, will I have to stake out the laundry room to do a load?

Thanks!

Hi! To answer your questions:

-The laundry machines and dryers are free. If you select dry cleaning or pressing by the ship's laundry, it charged by the piece (pretty reasonable).

- The laundry rooms include two beautiful Rowenta steam irons. Irons are not permitted in the cabins (safety considerations).

- Detergent is included and loads directly into the machine via a hose. Bring your own fabric softener sheets as it's not otherwise available on board. If you want a stain remover, bring that with you as well.

-The machines offer lots of different cycle choices and extra spin or rinse options. I have been very satisfied with them. I use the the shortest cycles on the washer; heavier weight clothing might need a longer cycle on the dryer. If you choose a lot of extra features or longer wash cycles, it can take up to 90 minutes each for the washer and dryer before it is done.

-Read and follow the directions in the laundry room for how to start the machines. It's different than the machine I have at home or a typical laundromat machine.

-There's a phone in the laundry room if the machines malfunction, need more detergent or if you need help learning how to use them. We got a quick response the one time we had to call.

- How crowded is the laundry room? It depends on how full the passenger load is, the type of cruise and the day (sea days are busier than port days). The only time we found the laundry in near-continuous use (and we needed to stake it out) was a completely sold out Panama Canal cruise with lots of active shore excursions. On other Voyager cruises, I generally found an open machine on my first trip to the laundry room. Least busy times are usually early in the morning (the rooms are open from about 7 am to 10 pm), during port excursion times if you're in port (fewer people on the ship) or during the hours dinner is served (if you're having a room service dinner).

- It's best to be there when the machines shut down so you can either get your wash into the dryers right away or fold your dried clothes. If you leave the clothes in the washer or dryer when the cycles finish, you may well find your clothes sitting on the laundry cart when you return if someone else needs to run a load.

- The dryers take a little longer for a cycle than the washers do.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Enjoy the cruise! Cheers, Anne

Archived