Ocho Rios on our own

Cruiser FL

I am consideing getting a Taxi or the like and having them take us to the Martha Brae river cruise, dunns river & maybe the Shaw park botanical gradens. Will I save money in doing this on my own?

We hired a guy Years ago to take us various places & it worked out well. What is anyone's thought on this?

If you want to do it on your own, I would suggest contacting one of the tour guides(Peat Taylor, Trevor Hudlin etc)listed on these boards. The taxi drivers in Ocho Rios were VERY aggressive, as were many of the locals. I would have safety concerns just going that far off on my own unless I was with one of the guides. Good luck:)

Since you want to go several places, not just one place, I'd suggest contacting some of the tour guides to see if any of them can take you where you want to go. I think a tour guide will look for you better than a taxi driver and will also look our for the timing needed to get you back to shore.

Don't use Peat Taylor for a private tour. He's better if you want to go as part of a group.

We hired him for a private tour and got ditched at Dunns Falls by his son. Took us nearly an hour before our bus showed up again, with a different guide no less. Kinda put a damper on the day...

Be sure you get a taxi from inside the fence as they are licensed and have a firm price. I would not trust going thru the gate and getting one outside.

Our taxi driver took us to a secure shopping area and agreed to pick us up at a certain time. We were relieved to see that he did come back for us, as we had to pay up front for the return trip to the ship.

we were wondering if anyone had done the dolphin swim in ocho rios? we looked into booking ourselves and were told by the co. that we had to use the ships excursion we could not book direct. has anyone run into this or heard of it before:confused:

Miss Bite Me...I love it !!

We just returned from a W. Carib...my 18 yr old daughter did the Royal Dolphin Swim (in Cozumel)..loved it...we booked directly over the 'net (www.dolphindiscovery.com), as the shore ex only gave an extra hour or 2 at

Chankanaab National Park, (where we were planning to spend most of the day), and as the "Royal Swim" (most interaction with the dolphins) was not available on the (Princess) shore ex.

• 4 weeks later...

Does Lincoln Stewart have a web site? I'm still trying to decide what to do. My husband hates to be pestered with people selling anything. It sounds as if he will have to grin and bare it here.

So the idea I'm getting is that is isn't a very good idea to roam Ocho Rios on your own? Rather than book a tour, my husband wants to rent a car and cruise the Island on our own. I have advised against it, but he seems unfazed by warnings. What is you opinion on this? Thanks!

we were wondering if anyone had done the dolphin swim in ocho rios? we looked into booking ourselves and were told by the co. that we had to use the ships excursion we could not book direct. has anyone run into this or heard of it before:confused:

I believe they may have an exclusive contract with the cruise lines, but you could see if they will take you if you tell them you are staying locally.

So the idea I'm getting is that is isn't a very good idea to roam Ocho Rios on your own? Rather than book a tour, my husband wants to rent a car and cruise the Island on our own. I have advised against it, but he seems unfazed by warnings. What is you opinion on this? Thanks!

Yeah, I was unfazed by warnings too... I thought "Hey, I'm 25, with a couple other people. I've been all over the world adn I'm not afraid of a little adventure". I thought we could go it alone and save a little money. Ocho Rios was the only place where I wish I would have booked something. I just was not ready to trust the cab drivers there.... the CD on our ship last week even warned us that if we took a cab that we shouldn't even lean on teh door while riding in it because the cabbie will think that we're trying to escape without paying.

• 2 weeks later...

When we are in Ocho Rios, we use Glenn (cab driver) his pet name is Soldier (because he served in Military) and is honest and SAFE. We have used him many times and have recommended him to many friends. Ask for him at the gate, we did an entire Island tour for $30 for the two of us, Fern gully, Plantation, Dunn's falls and shopping at the Taj Maha...great guy...

Barb

I think that if you don't want to do the cruises' excursions, definitely take the advice of people here that have experience with specific people!!

I just cruised past a thread of a not so great cab driver....you can read it at: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=248051

We are going to be in Ocho Rios in March and I am doing all the research that I can before we go...I love these boards for that very reason!

• 1 month later...

We just got back from Ocho Rios and used Trevor Hudlin. All the great things that are said about him are true. Picked us up right from the cruise ship dock and spent all day with us. Did all the highlights and even stayed with us while we shopped. Would definately use him again without hesitation.

I agree, if you find a good driver, stick with him. I posted Richard's name on another thread, but I'll add it here too.

He is mature, safe and reliable. He will pick you up right at the pier in Ocho Rios and take you wherever you want to go. Both my kids and parents loved him as much as I did.

He just recently got email. I used to have to call him directly to arrange.

Archived