Process to obtain Second Room for Au Pair?

chfenton

Bob, can you confirm this? I'm going to be on Freedom in August and older DS has been talking to his three best friends about joining us. They will all be 17. Normally I book me and younger DS in one cabin, mom and older DS in the other (for a different reason) and since we usually have connecting cabins, we don't even need to get extra cards.

If these kids come, I was thinking I'd have to put me in a triple with 2 of them, and the third in the cabin with mom, so that an adult was with all underaged, not related people.

However, if I can put them in a triple cabin next door to mine, then I don't have to do the convoluted booking/extra key thing.

I thought only related underaged were allowed in their own cabin (next door or across the hall).

Misread at first - adding you can have unrelated underage in their own cabin, but I believe there is a limit to the number. Something like 1 unrelated for every one that is???

Not Bob, but can confirm this is correct. Have done it many times with my kids. As long as the cabin is directly next to or across the hall you can book the under 21's in their own cabin. Not one over, or diagonal, or any other combination.

Note, this must be done over the phone, cannot be done on-line.

That is correct you can only be responsible for 1 non related minor for each related minor in a separate cabin, we have always taken our daughter and 1,2,or 3 friends, and didn't have a problem until Summer 2012, when we tried to take our daughter and 2 friends, and book them in the same cabin, they allowed the booking but then called about 6 weeks later to say we couldn't sail as booked, had to put my wife in the cabin with the friends and my daughter with me, we just got extra keys when we were onboard.

That is correct you can only be responsible for 1 non related minor for each related minor in a separate cabin, we have always taken our daughter and 1,2,or 3 friends, and didn't have a problem until Summer 2012, when we tried to take our daughter and 2 friends, and book them in the same cabin, they allowed the booking but then called about 6 weeks later to say we couldn't sail as booked, had to put my wife in the cabin with the friends and my daughter with me, we just got extra keys when we were onboard.

A rule they choose to relax for the Quinceanera groups.

I specifically told the C&A rep that I was thinking about bringing 3 unrelated 17 year olds with me and wanted to know if I had to book me in the room with 2 of them, and my mother in the room with the other one, leaving my kids in the third room next door.

Her response was that as long as they were immediately next door to me, or directly across the hall, I did not have to be booked with them. Of course, the girlfriend's mother is still resistant to the idea so who knows if it's going to fly.

I can't honestly say I'd be sorry if they did NOT come with us because I kind of like my vacation with my kids. I also have concerns about my younger one being left out when the older son and his friends are off doing their thing. Not that DS1 spends that much time with him, but they do hang out in the evenings together. DS2 does not do the clubs so that would mean more time with me. I love the kid, but getting a couple of hours in the evenings alone is enjoyable.

Ah well, we'll have to wait and see how it all shakes out. Since I had no intention of booking until after final, I can wait all of them out and see what they decide to do. I figure if they do come, I'm going to be booking earlier than I planned, so I can secure the room setup I'll need (and pay more money in the long run).