Miami hotel for pre-cruise stay?

What hotel would you recommend for a one-night stay in Miami before a Christmas cruise? We're going to be flying in early afternoon, so we'll have the afternoon and evening to check out the city (We've cruised out of there before, but never stayed there). We may want to do some last minute clothes shopping, and we don't want to rent a car. I've been reading tripadvisor reviews of some the "budget" hotels (which still seem pretty expensive!) and the reviews have been a little scary. We'd like a decent, clean hotel room that is reasonably close to the cruise port and public transportation, preferably for under $200. Any ideas? Thanks!

Using Priceline, I've had the downtown Hyatt, a very nice upscale property for $50 per night. Room was on the 19th floor with balcony overlooking the city and bay and near the people mover. I've also had the Doubletree and Renaissance for the same price range. All very nice. Bid THREE stars and downtown. I've always been very satisfied.

Prices are up considerably this year over what they were the past few years, and accomodations during holiday times are going to be more expensive and harder to find. These are all "non-scary" downtown Miami hotels. You can walk to Bayside Marketplace from the Intercontinental, from any of the others take taxis. Another option, for better shopping and dining, is to take a taxi over to South Beach. South Beach is 10-15 minutes away and a spectacular place to shop and dine.

JW Marriott (would be my choice, great AAA rates)... http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/miajw

Intercontinental... http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ic/1/en/hd/miaha?irs=null

Hyatt Regency Miami... http://miamiregency.hyatt.com/property/index.jhtml

Biscayne Bay Marriott... http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/miabb

Courtyard Downtown Miami... http://www.miamicourtyard.com/

Conrad Miami... http://conradhotels.hilton.com/en/ch/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=MIACICI

Four Seasons... http://www.fourseasons.com/miami/index.html

Mandarin Oriental... http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hotel/526000001.asp

Holiday Inn Port of Miami is directly across from Bayside Marketplace www.baysidemarketplace.com , all the shopping, food & entertainment one could want!! Perfect location downtown!! Our price was right at $100 a night and that was when Priceline wouldn't give us a 4 star at $100 due to a Food & Wine Festival at the time.

BonVoyage

Dawna

What hotel would you recommend for a one-night stay in Miami before a Christmas cruise?

Last january we stayed at the winter haven hotel (1400 Ocean Dr.) at south beach. It's not really close to the port but it's a very reasonably priced ($100-$180) hotel. Staff is friendly and helpfull and it's clean! Breakfast is nothing special but there are plenty of places you can eat.

Also you are very near lincon rd. mall. A great area for some last minute shopping. As I just posted in another topic:

The airline had lost our luggage; mine was delivered to the hotel the next day bit my girlfriend had to do another day without. Since we didn't know for sure if the suitecase would be recovered we had to buy here some clothes there.. For a moment I thought she was actually happy about losing the luggage:p.

For the record: british airways recoverd both suitecases and payed for all the clothes she bought in SB.

common.Par.0001.Image.gifI agree with the above poster, CruisinDawn, on the Holiday Inn.

Holiday Inn PORT OF MIAMI-DOWNTOWN

common.Par.0001.Image.gif

Holiday Inn

PORT OF MIAMI-DOWNTOWN

340 BISCAYNE BLVD

MIAMI, FL 33132

WELCM_EXTR_01_C.jpg Take a Photo/Virtual Tour common.Par.0001.Image.gif

Holiday Inn

PORT OF MIAMI-DOWNTOWN

340 BISCAYNE BLVD

MIAMI, FL 33132

UNITED STATES

Tel: 1-305-3714400

Fax: 1-305-3722862

Email: lzelaya@soundhospitality.com

Check-In Time: 3:00 PM

Check-Out Time: 11:00 AM

Quality Performer: Commendable

Local Time: 9:58 AM EDT

WELCOME

Located in the heart of downtown Miami, across from the world-class Bayside Marketplace with over 96 specialty stores and 14 renowned restaurants. Overlooking Miami's Biscayne Bay, the Holiday Inn is just walking distance or a short ride away from the Port of Miami, American Airlines Arena, and South Beach. Business guests will appreciate our proximity to Miami's financial and government centers, banks, accounting and import/export firms. Our entire staff takes pride in providing a friendly and pleasant environment and would like the opportunity to host your next visit to Miami!

Our hotel staff speaks:

English , French , Italian , Portuguese , Spanish

I live in South Florida....Use one of the hotels listed above that are located at Bayside.

Lovely place to spend the afternoon and evening. Lots of shopping...outdoor type mall overlooking the beautiful bay. Lots of restaurants with outdoor dining. Live music...Tropical drinks...Anything and Everything you could want. You'll be starting your vacation as soon as you get there.

No car needed.

Have lots of fun on your trip.

Hi, we stayed at the Holiday Inn - same places as the other posters recommended above,--in October 2003, I have to say - it was super clean and the people were very nice and we walked right across the street to what I referred to as an outdoor type mall- Bubba Gump's was there- although we didn't eat there I heard it is good. My son (just turned 4 at the time) adored the fact that there was a few rides to go on. and there were other shops and restaurants to choose from.

I booked directly with the hotel through their website for Holiday Inn- and got an online reservation special rate $68.00!!!! which you had to be charged for immediately for at the time of booking but we didn't care about that it was CHEAP!! for a King size bed and when we woke up in the morning we could see the ships at the pier from our room. we took a cab over to the pier for I think about $8.00 but we had a babyjogger and alot of luggage to bring over to the ship so we had the front desk call for a MINI VAN Cab - so it might be cheaper, if your just taking a regular cab over to the pier. I highly recommend the Holiday Inn, I would stay there again. ;)

How far is Fort Lauderdale from here (Miami)? We are flying into FLL (Southwest Airlines) and need to get to Miami for our cruise to the Eastern Carribbean on Radiance next March. We fly in on a Saturday and the cruise leaves Sunday. Also, What kind of time should we allow going back if the ship docks in Miami at 8:30am and we need to fly back out of FLL.

Downtown Miami/Port of Miami is roughly 30-45 minutes from FLL, much longer during rush hours.

The ships dock at 5-7am, first pax are usually off by 7:30-8am.

For your return keep in mind that FLL is a zoo on winter weekends with all the cruise pax from both Port Everglades and the many from the Port of Miami who use it. It's not uncommon for 20,000+ people to get dumped on that airport in a 2-3 hour time period, which overwhelms the place and creates very long lines. I would stay over Sunday night and fly out Monday if you can possibly do it!

Archived