What to do in Dominica

Trashy Woman

Not a great lot!!!! Only joking unless you do a tour of kind there isn't much we have been 3 times always docked in the out of town dock because there has been a Carnival or R Caribbean ship in dock.

We usually get the mini bus to town have a walk buy some gin and go back to the ship.

In December 14 we went to find the supermarket to get some water and lemonade and came straight out, it was filthy & smelt to high heaven did without until the next port.

I know there is whale watching trips and other things if you want to explore, we are just mooch about people and love a nice beach.

I'm not much help really am I? apart from give the supermarket a mis.

S

We were there in December and my advise would be stay on the ship ! unless you go on a trip, the town was very poor, we were approached by several beggars and someone of the ship was robbed , so beware!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were there in December and my advise would be stay on the ship ! unless you go on a trip, the town was very poor, we were approached by several beggars and someone of the ship was robbed , so beware!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sadly you are right.

We did the hike to the waterfall. Reasonable trip.

We did a private tour round the city then into the rain forest. It was very good. Have a look at the Ports of Call Board or search for tours. Only downside was it rained and we got soaked getting the shuttle back to the ship

Sadly not one our fav islands - the town is pretty poor. There are some trips around the rainforest and whale watching to be had.

It's a bit of a marmite island really, some love it and so don't. We are in the latter category and usually stay onboard

If you enjoy snorkeling get a taxi to Champagne reef. Fantastic underwater life, crystal clear water, called champagne reef because of the bubbles in the water from the volcanic rock. Great bar there where they serve the best rum punch ever. Lots of wildlife there, look out for iguanas as well as various species of exotic birds and butterflies. Huge Catapillars as well.

Whilst I agree that there is not much to do in the town where you dock, I do think Dominica is a beautiful island but you do need to take a trip to see it. As others have said it is a rain forest island so you could have some rain whilst you are there. If you just want a beach the best one nearest to the dock is Mero beach - get a taxi to it. It is a black sand beach and it does shelve fairly steeply into the sea. If you like snorkelling try Champagne Reef. I can recommend a local tour operator called Levi Baron - google him under Bumpiing Tours. Hope you can find something to interest you but, please, don't just stay on the ship. Sue

We did this island in November. Must be a marmite island. It was our favourite!!!

All the others merged into one hot/sweaty/dusty/built up island.

This is a rain forest, so there was lots of rain when we were there.

We did a ships tour ..the Carib Indians one. As per never lived upto the hype, but it took us out and about. Only thing I would say is get a decent seat on the mini bus.

We went to the market. OH purchased and amazing hand made yacht/ship made out of bamboo. Fell in love with it as we knew is was locally made.

In all the other islands the items seem to all be made in China or similar, and the only thing different was the name of the island on the item.

Yes the market was dirty/smelly , its a poor island. However its only on a par with all the other markets we have been to around the world. If you don't want smells and dirt I guess that just leaves shopping malls...

Hi,it is a really lovely island in my opinion. There are lots of mini bus tours here for a few hours to see a bit of the island including sulphur springs and waterfalls.We have also done the RIB trip twice with P&O which was amazing. We love to have a walk lin the town,enjoyed a look in the shops and up to the Botanical gardens which are well worth a visit.On our last visit here it was Carnival day which we felt so lucky to see,it was brilliant. Do hope you enjoy this lovely island!

I agree that it really is a beautiful island and you need to do a trip - either a ship's tour or with an independent company - if you are to appreciate Dominica. Yes the town where you dock is not particularly attractive but to write the whole island off because of this would be a pity. I agree that if you like snorkelling then the Champagne Reef Snorkel is a fantastic experience. My husband loved it so much he has done it twice now.

Hi we booked a private tour with Reyno tours well recommended on cruise critic check out ports of call.

We did the green emerald beauty tour,great day out on small mini buses, all refreshments included soft drinks beer etc.

They took us to many parts of the island, and was a fantastic day out, wouldnt hesitate to use them again

Cheers Mick.