Cuba?!

nyroadrunner

Am I the only one who has a feeling the Vista will stop in Cuba? (This being the reason why we have to wait to find out the American itineraries.) If it was just leaving from NY or even Miami and going to the usual Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, why the secret? Also, such a HUGE emphasis on Havana. (I know the Sunshine had a Havana bar as well.) Plus, John Heald asked on FB about a month ago for people's thoughts about a cruise to Cuba...

BTW Posted in the Vista group, but wanted more people's opinion!

I don't think it will happen unless Congress passes removal of the embargo. Also, I don't think the Cuban infrastructure could handle almost 5,000 passengers like the established ports can. It will be many years before the mega ships get to Cuba.

Carnival, along with other big cruise lines, always play this game with new ships. They release the first inaugural sailings and then they save the official Homeport and regular itineraries for a later date. It builds excitement and anticipation, even if they are going to announce that the ship will be based in Miami, going to Nassau, Freeport and St. Thomas and year round. :rolleyes:

Will we see Cuba in cruise itineraries from the USA? I'm pretty sure we will, but I doubt that it will be when the Vista schedules come out. Besides legal issues, they need to build the infrastructure to handle modern cruise ships. The real Cuba will be a rude awakening to those who are glamorizing this destination and thinking that it will be as Carnival is portraying it on their Havana inspired venues and accommodations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

^^^ No kidding!! My nephew has been there as a missionary. He said its soooooo disgusting how the citizens are treated compared to their "govt." The glitzy stereotype dreams everyone has of this place is just that...a dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by t1adams

I saw a restaurant owner in Cuba interviewed and he said he doubts their ability to get the food to prepare meals for a large number of customers.

The cruiselines will build their own area as they have on many of the other islands. I think that will take a lot pressure off the locals when they first start making calls.

The cruiselines will build their own area as they have on many of the other islands. I think that will take a lot pressure off the locals when they first start making calls.

If that is the case, then I really have no desire to go. I haven't been to Labadee nor would I seek out a cruise to go there. Not that I necessarily want to visit Haiti, but these manicured experiences are not really my thing. In my opinion, this is like a stop over at LAX and saying you have visited California.

Edited by dioxide45

I think the huge fuss about the Havana areas are a nod the cuban population in Miami, which will be it's home port (I hope/think!:cool:)

Cuba is no where near ready to start taking tourists. As someone said, infrastructure will need to be built to take the influx of all these people and the cruise ships themselves will probably the ones building out the ports as a shared project.

Vista is not going to Cuba. Travel to Cuba solely for tourism is still illegal, and that is unlikely to change anytime soon. There is no way Carnival would be planning where it's brand new ship is going on the hope that the embargo may be lifted in time. NO CHANCE!