Oxygen on a Cruise

PDXJAS

We just found out my hubby has to have oxygen at night. Glad for all of the info re: this. We will be on the Norwegian Spirit Sept. 6 Venice to Barcelona. He is a vet so that sounds like a good option, although our supplier we are now using also provides POC's, but probably more expensive. Any suggestions for the airplane? since he only uses it at night, I read something about packing it in the stored luggage.

Nan: confused::confused:

We just found out my hubby has to have oxygen at night. Glad for all of the info re: this. We will be on the Norwegian Spirit Sept. 6 Venice to Barcelona. He is a vet so that sounds like a good option, although our supplier we are now using also provides POC's, but probably more expensive. Any suggestions for the airplane? since he only uses it at night, I read something about packing it in the stored luggage.

Nan: confused::confused:

You will have to notify the airline regardless of what type of POC and none of the airlines will allow you to check it.

If your husband gets his POCs through the VA, just contact their Prosthetics and they will order the portable one for you and in turn the supplier will contact you for delivery and pick-up dates. If he requires continuous flow, chances are they will provide a POC on wheels that you will have to tote.

If you plan on staying in either Venice or Barcelona, please take a heavy duty converter. My POC was too much for the converter and I had to purchase another one on the spot. I have not ever been provided a charger that could run on both 110 and 220 thus had to use the adapter.

For your flights you will also require a certification letter signed by your doctor. Some airlines require that you use their form. However, if you get it from the VA , just let them know you have it from the Government.

Regardless what, pack a couple emergency inhalers.

Below is the basic certification letter. I get mine renewed every year.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Date

To Whom It May Concern:

Re: (insert name)

This letter is my verification that (insert name) DOB (insert date), requires the use supplementary oxygen while traveling and this requirement can be met through the use of an approved Portable Oxygen Concentrator (POC). I further verify the following:

The passenger has the physical and cognitive ability to see, hear and understand the device's aural and visual cautions and warnings and is able to take the appropriate action in response to those cautions and warnings.

The passenger's use of the POC is medically necessary.

(insert name) understands that the POC is his responsibility.

The POC is not normally necessary during any phase of the flights. He will be transporting a FAA approved POC.

The oxygen flow rate setting for the POC is (insert) liters per minute (insert continuous or pulse).

Sincerely,

Doctor's name

Title

State license #