Bottled water

Italian Nancy

Take a couple with you when you board the ship.

Yeah, good advice. Keep the empty bottles and then fill them with the ship's tap water. Its as good or better than any commercially available bottled water. And, I consider myself to be somewhat of a water connesuier. :p

Tim

We take a small soft cooler and a 12 pk of water onboard so when we leave the ship, we fill the cooler with ice & put the water in it. Bottled water is also much easier to use at night next to the bed as you can close it and not worry about rough seas getting your bed wet.

I try to drink the recommended 6 to 8 glasses of water daily and was faithful to this practice during my 10 day cruise last winter. I was drinking the ship's tap water with ice. Around day 3 of the cruise I experienced swelling in my feet, ankles and lower legs and I'm talking about excessive swelling. ( This even though I was on a prescribed water pill) My feet would be normal size in the morning and I could actually see them blow up while in the shower. I had to cancel excursions and only had one pair of velcro closure sandals I could stuff my feet into. I did a search on the boards at that time and found others with similar problems and one of the alleged culprits seemed to be the ship's water which is desalinated (sp?) sea water. Even though it doesn't taste salty, it may contain high amounts of sodium. For my 2 week cruise on the Ryandam this winter I'll be drinking only bottled water and foregoing the ice.

I had the same problem with swelling ankles on our last cruise and so did my DH. We'd never had that problem before and were surprised. We both walk a lot and rarely use the elevators while on board but do drink a lot of water. Could be the culprit?? Will switch to bottled water only (and wine:)) on the next trip and see if there's a change.

Even with fat ankles...........Bon Voyage!!

Think there are multiple problems that cause the swelling in the ankles. Ruth has the same problems and light doses of Lasix (Diuretic) have solved her problems on recent cruises.

Ruth and I are both Registered Nurses and have talked with multiple MD's and they overwhemly say if it is not causing a serious problem don't worry about it.

LASIX is a prescription drug and you should check with your MD before taking it, especially is you have heart problems.

PS:

Have your other half give you a foot massage to help solve the problem in a more enjoyable fashion....

Jim & Ruth

Archived