Early vs late dinning time

Naomigruis

Hi everyone

We have booked a 7 day cruise rome to rome around the meddetrainain in August 2015.

This is my first time on a Cunard cruise but have been on several with carnival and p&o. We are also booked on a Royal Carribean just before this cruise on the same European trip.

Now for my question every other cruise we have used my time dinning but that seems not to be an option with QV. At the moment we are booked on the early seating (6pm I believe), although we can change to the late seating as it's still available. We usually eat about 7pm and 6 seems early and 8:30 very late. Any suggestions on which is best and what happens if your late for your seating time? Do they still seat you or is there a cut of time?

Thanks in adavance.

Sylva.

If you are on a set seating time it's best to turn up at the start time. Your tablemates won't be held up that way. The waiters usually wait until everyone is seated before taking the orders. If you are going elsewhere to eat one night just let the waiter or table know if you can to save everyone being delayed. I think they close the doors after half an hour from the dining time.

Edited by caber

We normally eat around 7 at home. We found the early sitting too early, especially when you consider the time you have to start to get ready. 8.30 worked better for us. There is a cut off time and I believe it is 30 minutes after the doors open. If you are going to be late it would be nice to tell your table companions.

Hi everyone

We have booked a 7 day cruise rome to rome around the meddetrainain in August 2015.

This is my first time on a Cunard cruise but have been on several with carnival and p&o. We are also booked on a Royal Carribean just before this cruise on the same European trip.

Now for my question every other cruise we have used my time dinning but that seems not to be an option with QV. At the moment we are booked on the early seating (6pm I believe), although we can change to the late seating as it's still available. We usually eat about 7pm and 6 seems early and 8:30 very late. Any suggestions on which is best and what happens if your late for your seating time? Do they still seat you or is there a cut of time?

Thanks in adavance.

Sylva.

I think your only option would be to eat in the Grill a lot more flexible but more expensive. We always have the late dinning. If you have been ashore gives you more time to refresh you selves and you do not miss the sail away.:confused:

I think your only option would be to eat in the Grill a lot more flexible but more expensive. We always have the late dinning. If you have been ashore gives you more time to refresh you selves and you do not miss the sail away.:confused:

I like you like to eat around 7 - 7.30. On the cruise though I always go for second sitting especially if it is quite a port intensive cruise. By the time you get back and want to relax for just a little and then get ready. Go for a little pre dinner drink and the 8.30 second sitting comes round quite quickly. I also use the time in my cabin before to sort out the photos I might have taken for the day.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards Pat

Hi,

For a port-intensive cruise, I prefer late seating dinner. I realize that this is late to eat, but this gives you the opportunity to enjoy your time ashore and get ready for dinner. In November 2012, I did a 10-day cruise on the Queen Elizabeth from Civitavecchia (Rome) to Southampton. Because this was a fairly port-intensive cruise, the late seating dinner worked out well.

Chuck

I'm sure you will enjoy your Cunard cruise. My wife & I have been on both QM2 and QV and plan more Cunard cruises in the future. We've also cruised multiple other cruise lines. I agree that 6:00 (early) seating may be a tad early for some and getting there on time may be a bit rushed on port days; however, much depends upon how you like to spend your evenings. My wife and I enjoy dancing, so it is easy for us to start our evening at 5:30 with a pre-dinner drink and a quick dance or two before heading to dinner. After dinner, we may take in the evening entertainment, and then it's off to the Queens Room for dancing the rest of the night. We really cruise for the elegant evenings on board and not as much for the ports visited. In fact, our cruise on the QV was a 12 night transatlantic and made only one port stop.

Edited by Mountains.to.Sea