How do they determine which dining room?

BigMomma409

We're just off the Magic & I wondered all week long how they decided what dining room & table we would be assigned. We were in Cabin 12001, the furthest cabin forward on the highest deck with cabins. Our table was in the Southern Lights Dining table 555 room alllllll the way in the back of the room. We literally had to go from the very front of the ship to the very back of the ship every night for dinner. Not to mention since only a couple of floors actually go all the way through, it was always either take 2 elevators or take one elevator and walk down a floor. It was a little frustrating, but more than complaining....I just wondered if anyone knew how these things were assigned.

I don't understand. Is Northern Lights anytime dining only? There was a long line at 6:00 every night to gt into it, so I assumed there was a 6:00 seating there too.

Only one MDR has anytime dinning, if you had ATD, that's why you were there.

Anytime vs fixed.

wrong. northern lights mid ship is 'your time' on deck 3, fixed on deck 4. southern lights aft is fixed time only.

I don't understand. Is Northern Lights anytime dining only? There was a long line at 6:00 every night to gt into it, so I assumed there was a 6:00 seating there too.

the answer is 'nobody knows'. some will say they put you in the dining room closest to your cabin, but there is plenty of evidence from postings here, and personal experience, that would indicate that is not true, and certainly not steadfast.

Only one MDR has anytime dinning, if you had ATD, that's why you were there.

We didn't have anytime, we had early. It was a little rough getting back onboard around 4, getting cleaned up, and making the trek from one end to the other. We didn't make it on time after the first port...got stuck eating on Lido.

We didn't have anytime, we had early. It was a little rough getting back onboard around 4, getting cleaned up, and making the trek from one end to the other. We didn't make it on time after the first port...got stuck eating on Lido.

That's why we opt for the late seating, no rushing to get back for dinner, especially formal night.

We're just off the Magic & I wondered all week long how they decided what dining room & table we would be assigned. We were in Cabin 12001, the furthest cabin forward on the highest deck with cabins. Our table was in the Southern Lights Dining table 555 room alllllll the way in the back of the room. We literally had to go from the very front of the ship to the very back of the ship every night for dinner. Not to mention since only a couple of floors actually go all the way through, it was always either take 2 elevators or take one elevator and walk down a floor. It was a little frustrating, but more than complaining....I just wondered if anyone knew how these things were assigned.

This is one thing that annoys me about Carnival ships, not all the floors go front to back. It is one thing that we liked about Celebrity and RCCL, not a single floor has a blockage like Carnival.

I don't know how they determine what MDR you will be in. Again another thing I like about RCCL ships, only one dining room. You would think from this that I am raging on Carnival, but we actually prefer Carnival over RCCL and Celebrity.

We were also on your Magic sailing. Our cabin was deck 9 forward. We had late seating Southern Lights. Our table was 632 - the very first table for 2 right next to the Captains table.

I know the Northern Lights dining room was YTD both decks.

I do not know how they decide who gets what table. I enjoyed the table on the main floor. We got to see Catherine sing up close and personal.

Edited by gone_cruisin

This is one thing that annoys me about Carnival ships, not all the floors go front to back. It is one thing that we liked about Celebrity and RCCL, not a single floor has a blockage like Carnival.

I don't know how they determine what MDR you will be in. Again another thing I like about RCCL ships, only one dining room. You would think from this that I am raging on Carnival, but we actually prefer Carnival over RCCL and Celebrity.

The blockage does take some getting use to.

i doubt it. regardless much has changed since the oft quoted '2011' you're throwing around today - pre- or post-shrimpgate, and fact of the matter is that currently, that explanation is wrong, as aforementioned in terms of current dining assignments.

there is no simple explanation unless you're also a carnival maitre d', which i doubt since you don't like and haven't sailed carnival in years, or are otherwise privy to how they make such assignments. regardless, anytime vs. fixed does not answer the op's question and is not the reason for the dining assignment.

You weren't onboard for my cruise on the Carnival Magic so how would you know, especially with your limited cruising experience? The post below yours stated Northern Lights was YTD on both decks during his cruise, just as was mine. The information you are referring to is still relevant. On ships that have not switched over to American Table, they are still operating with the menus from 2011 Post-Shrimpgate.

Take a look in the roll calls, falkcor. ;)