Fascination- How long from port to bridge?

ShdwKnght

20-30 minutes Ship has to turn around but port about a half mile from bridge.Ship always has to wait for low tide because of the 4' clearance at mean low tide. I drive over Dames Point Bridge everyday about 4:15pm It is impressively close.

Sometimes the turn around can take about 20 minutes longer if the tide is coming in, so the ship heads West a bit with a Tug close by while it does a 360 to head out. From our experience when that happens, it can take 45 minutes or so to reach the bridge.

The ship has about 4-6 feet clearance at High Tide according to the Captain on our Behind the Scenes Tour a year or so back.

4-6 feet is still close by any standard, but low tide is not required, only a fog free river....:)

Edited by jwjax

Sometimes the turn around can take about 20 minutes longer if the tide is coming in, so the ship heads West a bit with a Tug close by while it does a 360 to head out. From our experience when that happens, it can take 45 minutes or so to reach the bridge.

The ship has about 4-6 feet clearance at High Tide according to the Captain on our Behind the Scenes Tour a year or so back.

4-6 feet is still close by any standard, but low tide is not required, only a fog free river....:)

That does make sense Every-so-often I see the ship sitting short of the bridge in the morning waiting for clearance to get back to port.

Make that a 180 or she's be headed back to where she came from. :-)

Edited by RWolver672

Not long at all. On our sailing, we set sail right at 4, and we watched us sail under the bridge well before 5 pm....the sun wasn't even down yet! (January sailing, so early sunset)

We still had plenty of time to go back to the cabin and freshen up before our early seating dinner.

That does make sense Every-so-often I see the ship sitting short of the bridge in the morning waiting for clearance to get back to port.

I guess that could be possible on extreme high tides. :)

I know in my backyard, we get water over the dock and into the yard on occasion when the tides are way above normal, especially when storms are around or have just passed.:)

• 3 years later...

Good morning! My husband, son (11 yo) & I are super excited to be joining you for this cruise! This will be our 6th cruise but our first with Carnival so we're excited to see the differences. We're lucky enough to live here in Jacksonville so we'll be enjoying a leisurely (ha more likely chaotic last minute packing) morning at home. I saw someone mentioned that this is hurricane season, so far the Atlantic/Caribbean is quiet & expected to stay that way for the foreseeable future. We're crossing our fingers that Mother Nature decides to let the weather guys be right for a change lol. Speaking of weather we currently have a forecast of high 80's & a 40% chance of thunderstorms for both the 9th & 10th. Don't get too disappointed Ohioans (we moved from Canton, OH 4 years ago) I know 40% in Ohio means more than likely grey & gloomy all day, but here it means carry an umbrella cause you might get caught trying to from place to place during the 20-45 mins of down pour, the rest of the day has a good chance of being bright & sunny.

One last tidbit approximately 20 - 45 mins (depending on how long turning around takes) the Elation will pass under the Dames Point Bridge. I've been told it's an exciting show since her whale tail only has about 4 feet of clearance!

Anyone else know any other "secrets" that make the Elation unique?

Edited by Telles
Oops posted that to the wrong thread. Thats what I get for having too many tabs open lol Sorry