50% off 3rd passenger - fuzzy math

inq

What a joke is right. On the particular cruise I'm looking at guests 1 & 2 are $449.00 and guests 3 & 4 are $699.50 AFTER the 50% discount. I was convinced the website was broken until this thread made me realize Norwegian thinks it's customers are morons.

What they are calling "50% off" can be restated with complete accuracy as:

"Guests 3 & 4 pay 55.79% more than guests 1 & 2 after promotional code is applied."

Edited by ocntscha

How can NCL with honesty justify the full price for 3rd and 4th being $1,500 for a week in the Caribbean.

And anyway, the email I got says

Pack Up The Whole Gang- Friends, Family & Kids Sail Free!
- since when is FREE the same as 50% off an inflated number.

Consumers shouldn't HAVE to ask "What's the catch?"

Deceptive marketing can't be explained away with "Oh, people should just know better".

AMEN!!

Cruised mainly with 3 lines- RCL,DCL and NCL. This is the sleaziest promo that j have ever encountered

This is a really scuzzy trick that they are trying to pull.

Seashark- you share excellant info, but I fear that your relationship with NCL or with an NCL insider has really clouded your judgement!

Reading your promotion and defense of their promotion that deserves no defense is like listening to a politician! What is the meaning of the word "is" comes to mind.

I don't understand why one of the most articulate CC posters refuses to acknowledge that this is "icky".

Consumers get quite irked when they find that they are being played

I just now checked what the price of a balcony BD for 3 would be- booked at 1249 for passengers 1 and 2, passenger 3 at 699 with free UDP. Booked a month ago or so. The price on Friday remained at the price paid at booking

Today it is 1499, 1499 and pass 3 is

1799. Third passenger MORE than either one or two

Proclaiming a sale for which I personally have received 6 phone calls and numerous thrice- daily e-mails and then creating ridiculous prices making the sale worthless

( unless in the Haven) is Sleazy!

No one is expecting things for free- except when it is advertised as such

This has been a real turn off for us.

I love cruising NCL - but there is no defending advertising free perks when the perks come at a HUGE price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How can NCL with honesty justify the full price for 3rd and 4th being $1,500 for a week in the Caribbean.

And anyway, the email I got says - since when is FREE the same as 50% off an inflated number.

For one of our bookings we would be paying MORE for the "50%" off child-base fare went up 1000 overbite for the 3 pass in a balcony.

Please. Insanity.

What a scam

How can I tell quickly and easily which sailings have 3 and 4 free or 50% off? Also, how can 50% off still be $750?

If you have a PCC from NCL, call. I called PCC yesterday with a question about my current booking and he sent me an excel spreadsheet that has all cruises that are 50%off and ones that are free. Times that are free are generally when children do not have breaks.

Just for fun, I looked at a Hawaii cruise on 8/29/2015 and 3rd-8th guest would pay $108(port fees/taxes). Amazing!! Changed the dates and the fee was $600(not exact) for 3rd and 4th.

Yesterday the price of my mini suite was 1419 pp for 1st and 2 nd passenger and $599 for third passenger plus we had the beverage package. Looking online now price on 1 and 2 are the same (1419 pp), but 3rd now shows at $499.50. This sailing qualifys for 50% off. How is 50% off calculated? Obviously either the rate has risen dramatically or it's not 50% off. I still benefit by rebooking but only by $100 and not $300 as I calculated. Anyone else notice that what they calculated as 50 % off is not what shows up when you try and book?

Ok, I booked on this deal Saturday and the way it was explained to me was like this. I received 50% of the cabin rate and then 50% of taxes then port charges were added to that total. I hope that helps. Some how it turned out to be 50% of her fare for 3rd that was originally quoted.

Lol that makes no sense at all. More smoke & mirrors.

They'd never add only 1/2 of taxes and fees- those are always paid at 109% pp no matter the sale even if the person is free

Ok, never said it made sense. LOL I was just stating what was explained to me by my booking agent once I received my receipt.

Your booking agent was incorrect and it is silly anyone would buy an explanation like that. It makes zero sense.

Ok, thanks! LOL I dont care how she came up with it or whether it makes since to anyone else bc bottom line is I got 50% off 3rd on a springbreak cruise! Yay me! :D

I cant see any 3rd 4th for FREE

We lucked out. We are sailing in August 2016 on the Pearl to Alaska and our sailing has KSF. My TA repriced four staterooms in our group, saved me personally almost $1000.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

AMEN!!

Cruised mainly with 3 lines- RCL,DCL and NCL. This is the sleaziest promo that j have ever encountered

This is a really scuzzy trick that they are trying to pull.

Seashark- you share excellant info, but I fear that your relationship with NCL or with an NCL insider has really clouded your judgement!

Reading your promotion and defense of their promotion that deserves no defense is like listening to a politician! What is the meaning of the word "is" comes to mind.

I don't understand why one of the most articulate CC posters refuses to acknowledge that this is "icky".

Consumers get quite irked when they find that they are being played

I just now checked what the price of a balcony BD for 3 would be- booked at 1249 for passengers 1 and 2, passenger 3 at 699 with free UDP. Booked a month ago or so. The price on Friday remained at the price paid at booking

Today it is 1499, 1499 and pass 3 is

1799. Third passenger MORE than either one or two

Proclaiming a sale for which I personally have received 6 phone calls and numerous thrice- daily e-mails and then creating ridiculous prices making the sale worthless

( unless in the Haven) is Sleazy!

No one is expecting things for free- except when it is advertised as such

This has been a real turn off for us.

I love cruising NCL - but there is no defending advertising free perks when the perks come at a HUGE price.

Totally agree with this. Considering doing the 2 night out of New York. If we add a third person to the cabin, the price doubles. Why?

After watching NCL stumble through their new promotional pricing the last few days I see that my sailing has reverted back to the price I started with on the Friday before the promo. The automatic 50% off 3 rd person is $599 and option for beverage package is available to choose for my mini suite. At least they seem to have corrected 3 rd plus passengers paying the same or more than first two

My cruise in March 2016 is - to the penny - the exact same price now with the KS(50%) promotion (inc UBP) as it was when I originally booked it with just the UBP promotion two weeks ago.

I'm satisfied with the fare that I booked at (still 40% less than I would have paid on DCL), but for someone who has just started looking at the same cruise now thinking that KSF is the greatest promotion ever...

I was terribly disappointed in this "promotion". the 3rd and 4th passenger rates are pretty standard based on the number of days and have really always have been. For them to raise the rate to the point where the half off is more than the regular rate yesterday is pretty shady.

I was going to take advantage and book a surprise cruise for the fam this Fall but after pricing, it is WAAAY cheaper to go to another line for the same dates and ports. <sigh>:cool:

There are some good sales. I booked a cruise last Saturday, and I watched it and the price came down by several hundred. Depends in your cruise. I set price drop alert here and then figure out if it benefits me. I know what you guys are saying. Sometimes, it is fuzzy math.

Also, it depends on the cruise time. While kids ae in school, it is hard to get KSF. Why should they? This is there their peak season. However, for college students, the couple of weeks before returning to school in January is a good time. I know some parents take kids out of school for the promos. That would nt be my suggestion as a teacher but I see it done all the time.