Future Cruise Reward and Existing OBC

Dorhead1230

I hope that this question will not be too confusing. I am going to try to phrase this as clearly as possible. If I have OBC for my cruise, and then buy a future cruise reward certificate, does the balance that must be paid for the certificate get paid by the pre-existing OBC? To illustrate:

I get on the ship with $350 OBC. I buy the $250 future cruise reward. Now my OBC is $450, but the remaining $150 for the certificate must be paid. Will that $150 be paid by the original OBC? Therefore, the certificate would be paid and I would still have $300 OBC?

I hope that I explained that clearly enough that some of you might be able to provide some insight :o. I just think it will be easier to budget spending money if I know this in advance. Thanks for any answers you can provide!

Your math is wrong.

Initial OBC is 350. Purchase the 250 FCR gives you a balance of $100. Now you add the 100 OBC you get for purchasing the FCR.

Remaining OBC is 200. (350-250+100).

Another way to calculate it is the net purchase price of the FCR is 150. (250-100). Subtract the net purchase price from your OBC of 350 and you get your remaining OBC of 200.

Yes, if it is refundable OBC.

Yes, if it is purchased or gifted refundable OBC. I did it on my last cruise.

It does not have to be refundable OBC, I have purchased two FCCs and both came out of NCL OBC (non-refundable OBC).

So any type of OBC will work on an FCC.

Edited by pizzalady1

It does not have to be refundable OBC, I have purchased two FCCs and both came out of NCL OBC (non-refundable OBC).

So any type of OBC will work on an FCC.

I agree! I purchased two FCR's last week on my cruise. I had $450 non refundable OBC from NCL and I used it to make the purchase. Two FCR's net cost is $300. If it is not usable, the purchase would have shown on my final statement as an extra charge at the end of the cruise, it did not. If we spent the entire $450 OBC or more on the ship on drinks, gifts, specialty dining, etc our final bill would be at least $300 or more. Our final bill was only $220. If non-refundable OBC cannot be used to buy FCR's, anything less than a $300 final bill is mathematically impossible. Therefore we are definitely able to use non-refundable OBC to purchase FCR's.

I agree! I purchased two FCR's last week on my cruise. I had $450 non refundable OBC from NCL and I used it to make the purchase. Two FCR's net cost is $300. If it is not usable, the purchase would have shown on my final statement as an extra charge at the end of the cruise, it did not. If we spent the entire $450 OBC or more on the ship on drinks, gifts, specialty dining, etc our final bill would be at least $300 or more. Our final bill was only $220. If non-refundable OBC cannot be used to buy FCR's, anything less than a $300 final bill is mathematically impossible. Therefore we are definitely able to use non-refundable OBC to purchase FCR's.

Thanks for this info! It is very helpful to see your specific experience, and that any OBC will be applicable to FCRs.