The Amazing Vacation - Serenade to Alaska

barbyma

We just got back from the Serenade (8/21 - 8/28) and, although I don't have time to write a full-blown review, I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Here are my tips & comments on things that stood out for us:

1) My main complaint was that the ship was extremely warm. It felt like a sauna just about everywhere I went. There's little that's more uncomfortable than sweating like a pig in a formal dress...

2) If you plan to go whale watching, book DIRECTLY with Captain Larry. I thought we were booked with this company, but it turned out to be a rather tame experience. We saw plenty of wildlife, but the boat was not what we were expecting; it held about 120 of us indoors with wet windows that everyone tried to use at once.

3) Go to Chops & Portifino's. The food & service were superb and well-worth the extra bucks.

4) The Seaview Cafe is never very busy (it's also not open much) and has excellent made-to-order grill-style food. I recommend the tuna melt.

5) The Adventure Ocean staff were the BEST. My boys (ages 4 & 7) wanted to spend all their free time there, and did! You can drop them off after dinner and not worry about them until 1am (although mine never stayed THAT late).

6) If you are debating about paying for a balcony, I say go for it. We spent a great deal of time there and saw a lot of wildlife that we would not have seen without it. It's also the best place to view the glacier.

7) My husband really enjoyed the Neets Bay bear watching expedition, but he did get bit by some knats. Take your bug repellent.

8) Things I was glad I brought: over-the-door organizer, pop-up hamper, power strip. Things I either didn't miss or could have left at home: shower organizer, travel mugs (they sell these with hot chocolate on glacier day for a good price), work-out clothes:p.

All-in-all, trip was fantastic. Highly recommend Alaska. RCI had its good points and bad points, but we were impressed with their efficiency, attitudes, and general service.

Barb

we are book on the serenade for March 06

can you tell me your first impessions of the ship??

tia

It's a beautiful ship, inside and out. The glass & brass really makes her shine, and the wood gives her a classic nautical look. The cabin was even smaller than we expected, but the space is very functional and the balcony size is more than adequate. I can't think of any place on the ship that wasn't amazing, and we are pretty used to posh (we like to splurge on hotels & dinners).

Barb

Hello!

I was on the same cruise as barbyma, and I have to echo some of her comments.

The trip was FANTABULOUS! :)

The Serenade leaves from Ballantyne Pier - really quick boarding.

The ship was beautiful. We had an aft balcony (D1) and found it to be spacious and comfortable (there were only two of us).

The service from the crew was extremely polite, friendly and courteous.

I felt as though I were staying at a 5-star hotel the entire week!

The food was very good - (I agree that the Seaview is the ship's best kept secret - all their food is freshly prepared and very generous portions!! :eek:

The Windjammer food was more than adequate for breakfast, lunch or an in-between meal snack. The variety and presentation was always tempting.

The dining room dinners were elegantly prepared and quite good. Some of the entree's didn't suit our tablemates, but I was very happy with all of the suggestons.

Barbyma's recommendations for Chops & Portofino's was right on.

You must try thoses restaurants - the food is divine!!

We also took the Bear-watching trip to Neets Bay - good bear-watching opportunities and pleasant weather. The information on the Salmon Hatchery was an extra bonus - very interesting.

We also did the White Pass / Yukon Route railway tour in Skagway. Typical weather but beautiful scenery (what we could see of it through the fog, mist and rainy windows) :)

We also took the Orca Enterprises whale-watching tour with Capt Larry. His new boat is specatacular! He has a naturalist on-board to expalin all about whales, how to spot them, what their behaviors are and other fun facts.

He was a very good speaker and even though the whales didn't cooperate much (we only saw a few from a distance), the experience was still enjoyable and fun!

Ketchikan was a great town to roam. Creek street has some good shops with native Alaskan products and goods.

I enjoyed walking around that town the most.

Sorry barbyma, I didn't mean to piggyback your review... I just got so excited thinking about our wonderful trip,that I guess I just ran on...!

We had a memorable time with fantastic stories to tell our friends and relatives.

I would definitely sail Royal Caribbean again and maybe someday return to Alaska.

Thanks you all for helping us make this trip smooth and fun!

Good morning...

I was wondering if sushi was available on the Alaska sailing. It's my husbands favorite and they had it on Radiance every day last year.

We're on the last sailing 9/18..I've been on Serenade before..(second sailing in '03) and hands down, it's my favorite ship...

Can't wait to see Alaska for the first time....

I didn't see sushi anywhere & if it was there, I'm sure my husband would have found it!

You'll LOVE Alaska!

I forgot to mention one more thing: GO TO STEAMERS IN KETCHIKAN for lunch! The food was amazing. Get the black bean salsa!

Barb

I did see Sushi there I think it was in the windjammer at either afternoon snack time or windjammer dinner

That would explain it. If my kids didn't insist on the Windjammer for breakfast, my husband wouldn't set foot in it!

Barb

Archived