Shopping And Orient Beach

blondy

please give me advise on the best way to do st. martin including shopping and orient beach, will be on royal carribean explorer in january,better off on our own with taxi, or shore excursion throgh the ship????? blondy

I would recommend a taxi to Orient, enjoy the day before it gets too hot, then taxi back to P'Burg to shop and return to the ship. What you save by using a taxi over the ship excursion will buy many a rum punch on Orient.

You don't want to take all of those purchases and precious gems to the beach, do you?

gary

• 1 month later...

We are sailing Serenade on Nov. 26 and will be on St. Maarten Nov. 28.

We have rented a Hertz Jeep wrangler Auto/Air 5 psgr soft top for the day.

$ 80.00 U.S. but we will split with another couple. This gives us control over when, where, how long. We usually try to head out on our own whenever we travel but not always a good idea. We will not do it on St. Lucia or Barbados.

Plan to drive to French side (Marigot open market), Grand Case beach for lunch, then to Dawn Beach to snorkle and back to Phillipsburg to shop.

According to my Frommers book: Driving is on the right side and roads are pretty good and well marked. Island is fairly small but remember : Head to the furthest point out first and work your way back - that way if there is a problem you are not way out and may have trouble getting back to ship.

We paid about $4 pp in March of 05 for a taxi to Orient. We went there first and were glad we did. By noon or so most of the chairs and umbrellas had been sold and people arriving after that had a hard time getting them. Beautiful beach and lots of fun water activities going on for our teens. We intended to go back in time to shop a bit but were having so much fun we spent most of our day there. Good luck.

Once again I pull out my Frommers Caribbean Ports of Call book. These are direct quotes from book:

St.Lucia:

Getting Around: by rental car: Driving is on the left and roads are decent but not great. The roads are not always clearly marked and are narrow. We wouldnt recommend renting a car. End quote

Barbados:

Getting Around: by rental car: While its a good way to see the island if you've got an adventurous streak and an easygoing attitude, before you decide to rent a car, keep in mind that driving is on the left and that signs are totally inadequate (boy - could we tell you stories!) End quote.

We also have cars rented for San Juan (2 night precruise stay) and plan to head to rainforest on our own as well as St. Martin and Antigua. Both of these are small islands and according to research, easy to manuver and still see alot in 1 day.

My husband has no problem driving on the left, did well in Jamaica and they drive like crazy people there! But we were there twice each time for a week and here only have 1 day. Since roads are poorly marked and these two islands are larger - we have opted to take cruise tour on St. Lucia and hired a private tour for 5 hrs. on Barbados (will let him do the driving !) but still get to tell him our itinerary (where and when)

I figure this is poor dh's vacation too so gonna give him a break or two :D

Thanks very much for the speedy reply :)

We are British (Scottish) so driving on the left is NO problem for us!

We drove in Barbados 16 years ago, but didn't have time restrictions. Our ship doesn't leave until 8pm so I guess we may be okay taking our chances :eek:

Hubby is the one who wants to hire as taxi's there are rather expensive for the 4 of us, plus the entrance fees. I think we'll just have to plan where we want to go and not venture far off field.

Actually we have a private tour booked for $150.00 for 5 hrs. for 4 of us (also 2 couples) so split it is easier to handle (75.00 each couple or $37.50 pp) which is not bad for that amount of time. If you would like to just see what he quotes you - let me know and I will reply with his email address.

Also bear in mind that it will be dark at 8 pm ---ack !!!!!

we went to st martin on our honey moon. if my memory serves me correctly orient beach is a nudist resort. in my opinion if this is the correct beach i wouldn't be taking my kids there unless you are into nudist resorts.

phillipsburg had the best shopping

we went to st martin on our honey moon. if my memory serves me correctly orient beach is a nudist resort. in my opinion if this is the correct beach i wouldn't be taking my kids there unless you are into nudist resorts.

we actually stayed at a hotel which was the last hotel on the beach. to be able to take a romantic walk on the beach we had to walk thru orient beach everyday to get to the rest of the beach. it was quite a site to see multigenerational families laying on the beach and playing in the water totally nude. one day it was really hot and i went to buy a soda at the stand and bought it from a naked guy..........i was kind of grossed out that he was standing there totally nude handing me my can of soda.

Just want to elaborate a bit on this. First, Club Orient and Orient Beach are not synonymous. Club Orient Resort (the very last area on the right, looking at the water) is a fully clothing optional resort on one small part of Orient Beach. (It is NOT a "nudist resort" where full nudity is required. We walked along the beach and then had a snack at their restaurant. We saw people wearing nothing but a smile and people wearing a swimsuit with a cover up.) At that end you will see more fully nude people than at the other end of the beach.

OTOH, Orient Beach and all the beaches on the French side allow topless female sunbathing anywhere on the beach. It's part of the culture and the norm.

In fact, it's funny to me to advise people not to take their kids there. (I am not at all saying that it's wrong not to take one's own kids there, but it is odd to me to advise others not to based on someone else's personal choices.) Considering that much of the world allows topless sunbathing, if the kids are not from the US they are probably not only fine with it, but used to it. It isn't morally wrong; it isn't somehow perverting the children. It is simply a difference in cultures.

So, taking the kids or not is an entirely personal decision. Many US pax take their kids knowing full well that they are likely to see topless women and possibly see fully nude men or women. The best thing to do is to explain the differences in normal beach attire and the "rules" (no pointing and laughing, for example). Most often it seems that the whole issue is only a big deal to kids if the adults make a big deal out of it.

If we are taking our children to different countries, they are going to encounter different cultures. Their cultural norms are quite likely to be different from what we are used to at home. Bottom line (so to speak) is that if topless women (in particular) or nudity on the beach is offensive to you (general "you" not someone specific), you should not go to Orient Beach. There can be very little nudity at the far end of the beach away from Club Orient. It would be a shame to miss this gem of a beach (beautiful sand; clear, warm water perfect for swimming and relaxing; lounges with umbrellas, food, and drinks; water sports; etc. (And again, I am not saying anyone is wrong for choosing not to go to a beach that allows topless/nude sunbathing; only that they cannot and should not expect the locals to change their norms.)

However, Orient Beach is more than 2 miles long and is covered end to end with different beach "areas" referred to by the names of the restaurants/bars at that area. There are water sports as well on some spots. Almost all the areas also rent lounge/umbrella combos on the beach for the day; it usually includes a drink as well. Cost is about $7 p/p. It's well worth it, IMO. We got 4 padded lounges, 2 large umbrellas, and 4 drinks of choice for $28 total for 2 couples. What a fabulous time we had. I'd go back to Orient in a heartbeat--in fact, it's on our "must do this again" list.

This current thread lists the various areas on Orient (in order):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=221575

beachchick

Beachchick, I totally hear (or read!) what you're saying.

Being British we are 'used to' topless bathing as most of Europe allows it and if it's warm enough here then it's done here too. That aspect does not bother me at all. It's the full nudity that I don't feel I should expose my 9 and 10 years olds to. I think they are too young and it would embarass them and also they may 'point and laugh'. If my children were older I'd give them the choice.

Because I believe in following the rules of whichever country I'm in I chose to pick another beach so those who wish to can bathe etc in the nude without reprisals from others, can do so. If I miss out on a better beach, then so be it.

I very much appreciate all the info received here as without it I wouldn't be able to make my choices. I can't remember seeing anything in my Cruise literature about Orient beach being 'clothing optional'. :rolleyes:

Our experience is go shop first, then eat a fast lunch on the ship and hit the beach. While it does get hot on the beach as well, the heat in town while shopping seem to suck all the energy out of us. At least at the beach you can can get in the water or find some shade in the sand under an umbrella.

Kevin

QueakyDust: Yeah, I don't think the cruise lines indicate whether beaches (or whatever) are clothing optional or topless, etc. It makes sense not to, IMO. So many of the places that cruise ships go to for warm weather cruises are islands/countries that do allow it, that they'd be writing it for more than 1/2 of the ports. I recall someone writing that DCL had a notice on their ship's excursion about it, but that was a ship sponsered tour. I imagine that the cruise lines do expect us to do our own research (like coming here; what a wealth of information).

I can tell you that the beach areas at the far end from Club Orient have much less nudity. However, it's entirely possible that one or two full nudes would walk the entire length of the beach, so it would be an issue. Be sure to take your kids to Orient when they are older and ready for all that they will see--it is a wonderful beach. But, I hear (as you say, read) your concerns about why it's not a good idea now. There are many other good beaches on the island.

Have a great time.

beachchick

I really struggled with this one when I took my DD12 and DGD7 there last year. I thought my DH would not want them to be on a clothing optional beach as he is rather conservative and protective. He surprised me and said it didn't bother him in the least. We talked to both girls and told them that they might encounter some people who are naked or topless, the whole culture thing etc. I was worried about DD12 because she is at that awkward age and very modest. I worried for NOTHING because they could have cared less! We saw a couple of topless woman and one older man fully nude walking the beach from a distance. The kids were so busy having the time of their life, they didn't even notice or comment. What a gorgeous beach!! We went to Bikini and they played on the trampoline, rode the waves, saw the parasailors (Is that a word?!). It was the best day of our trip. It was paradise. I know everyone take is different but just thought I would share our experience because I was worried about it beforehand, and I'm soooo glad that we went! Just my 2 cents!

Jenn

• 2 weeks later...
Any new advice? I leave next week and anything would be helpful. Thanks

Cruiseseeker

We just returned on Saturday from a Southern Caribbean cruise on Princess. We stopped in St. Martin on Thursday 11/4/05. We got off of the ship and were on Front Street by 9:00am, most shops were just starting to open. We went up one side of the street and down the other. You shouldn’t have to pay the asking price for items, we were able to get the merchants to come down on prices, which is always fun. One thing that we did find out from one of the cruise ship shoppers that we saw on the street, was that they have had problems with electronics purchased in St. Martin, he said some of the items are refurbished being sold as new. Not sure how true this is, but we did not take any chances.

After shopping we took a ship excursion to Orient Beach from 1:45 – 4:45, which we found is actually a few differently named beaches, we were dropped at Waikiki Beach and as we all got off of the bus we all asked the same question, I thought we were going to Orient Beach.

The beach is a long stretch of white sand that is like baby powder. We thought that this is a must see, lots of lounge chairs and umbrellas if you like, we chose not too, with the cool breeze it was not too hot. As for the clothing optional, there were a few women that were topless and two gentlemen walking down the beach in their birthday suits. I would not let that detour you from visiting this beach, it is beautiful.

I hope this helps.

Archived