Norwegian Epic Western Mediterranean June/July 2015

ttiplock1973

Try finding your roll call on the roll call boards

Then, there are boards dedicated to the different ports. Would read posts on those.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=596

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

Check out some guide books like Rick Steves

https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/guidebook-updates-med-cruise

Tripadvisor is also a good source of information

Hi cruisers,

I booked a cruise to Europe! I am a first timer on Norwegian and in Europe. Any suggestions or recommendations? New thread-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just made a reservation for the epic for June 14, 2015' are you in the same cruise?

This was our first cruise as well--it's been 4 years now, but other than a couple of ports changing, I imagine most of our review still applies.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1421989

Enjoyed your review! We will be boarding the Epic this May after staying at the Hotel Colon for 3 days before the cruise departure. So glad to hear you liked the hotel. Do you remember the name of the gelato shop near the hotel that you liked? Any other recommendations of cafes/restaurants near the hotel? We will be touring Sagrada Familia and also have two day passes for the Bus Turistic.

Thanks!

Sonia

Enjoyed your review! We will be boarding the Epic this May after staying at the Hotel Colon for 3 days before the cruise departure. So glad to hear you liked the hotel. Do you remember the name of the gelato shop near the hotel that you liked? Any other recommendations of cafes/restaurants near the hotel? We will be touring Sagrada Familia and also have two day passes for the Bus Turistic.

Thanks!

Sonia

It was Gelaaati di Marco, Llibreteria 7. Hope it's still there!

We pretty much randomly picked the other spots we ate--all had tapas, paella, other good stuff. All had street or terrace dining...can't remember names. One was right in Placa Real, one was just outside the mall at the harbor (just beyond the monument at the end of Las Ramblas), one was on Placa de Sant Miquel in the Gothic quarter, one was right across from an old Roman cemetery in the Gothic quarter... Just walk around--you'll see that there's NO shortage of places to eat!

I also highly recommend the Runner Bean "Old City" walking tour of the Gothic Quarter--it will get you up closer to the interesting historical stuff than the bus will: http://www.runnerbeantours.com/

Edited by quercus alba

My guess it's the cruise embarking in Barcelona on the 28th June as this cruise is June/July. I'm embarking from Rome 1st-8th. This is the 3rd time doing this cruise so feel free to ask questions and if I can answer then I will.

It was Gelaaati di Marco, Llibreteria 7. Hope it's still there!

We pretty much randomly picked the other spots we ate--all had tapas, paella, other good stuff. All had street or terrace dining...can't remember names. One was right in Placa Real, one was just outside the mall at the harbor (just beyond the monument at the end of Las Ramblas), one was on Placa de Sant Miquel in the Gothic quarter, one was right across from an old Roman cemetery in the Gothic quarter... Just walk around--you'll see that there's NO shortage of places to eat!

I also highly recommend the Runner Bean "Old City" walking tour of the Gothic Quarter--it will get you up closer to the interesting historical stuff than the bus will: http://www.runnerbeantours.com/

Thanks for the info! I've been hearing more about Runner Bean so I think we will definitely make the effort to join the walking tour. I enjoy that sort of thing. Even here in my home city of Columbus we have wonderful (and free) walking tours around architectural and historical sites. Always very interesting.

Although others may disagree, I definitely would book an excursion in Livorno. I did for my trip. We are taking the one that goes to Florence to see the Statue of David and climb the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Although, there are many other good ones for that port that look interesting like the one going to Cinque Terre.

Cannes is a tender port. So, if you dont purchase an excursion from NCL, you will need to book a tender once you are on board ship. Here is a link to an explanation of what a tender is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship%27s_tender

In Rome, the cruise actually docks in Civitavecchia which quite far gfrom Rome. There are trains that you can take http://www.trenitalia.com/.

However,a ships excursion might be the safest. there are also private companies that do excursions in Rome and will pick you up at a cruise port such as RomeinLimo and RomeCabs. I havent used them but they have good reviews on Tripadvisor. We are booked with RomeCabs for a tour.

My guess it's the cruise embarking in Barcelona on the 28th June as this cruise is June/July. I'm embarking from Rome 1st-8th. This is the 3rd time doing this cruise so feel free to ask questions and if I can answer then I will.

I have a question - we are sailing the same route Sept. 2 departing from Rome. Guests will also embark/disembark in Barcelona on Sept. 6. (Just to make it even more interesting, NCL is also selling it as a 4-day from Rome/Barcelona and a 3-day Barcelona/Rome). With the ship just sailing round-and-round all summer letting people on and off, is there any "Welcome Aboard" or "Farewell" events? How is muster handled?

I've only ever once been on an itinerary that had dual embarkation ports (San Juan and Barbados) and on that one, San Juan was definitely the "official" start and end to the voyage. Any comments you have about how all of this works on the Epic and whether or not it affected your cruise in any way is much appreciated.

That same trip was mine/hubbys first cruise. Loved everything about it. We stuck to the ncl excursions-great for the cutting long lines in rome; knowledgeable guides, and not feeling like a stupid lost american. the tours we did:

boat ride to Sorrento/Amalfi Coast

Tour of Pisa w/lunch and wine tasting in Tuscan winery

Ultimate Rome (the Trevi Fountain made my cry, it ws so overwhelming)

a Train ride on Majorca

Toured Les Baux and another spot I can't remember the name of, in Marseilles.

Hubby and I loved all of it-needed more time in Rome tho-a year maybe? The tour of Pisa was great, after seeing the Miracle Square (where the tower is) we could do free time, or follow our guide thru Pisa-dont regret walking with Perino at all!

Barcelona is a wonderful small city-we were impressed with how clean it is (including their metro-rode it from the hotel to the beach) very easy to get around, great food, not-to-be-missed nightlife-the fountains everywhere are fab at night. We had arranged for a transfer from the airport to ship thru NCL-they toured us thru Barcelona, hitting all the highlights, and then a walking tour of the gothic quarter. It was a great tour, and let us see stuff that we wouldn't have seen on the back end of the cruise, when all we had energy for was lying on the topless beaches.

Enjoy-Im jealous-we long to get back to that part of Europe. We will have to settle for Breakaway leaving the 22nd outa NYC :o)

Arriverderci!

A good reference for what to do in ports is 'Tom's Port Guides'. Lots of infor for if you want to do it yourself. He actually recommends a tour in Livorno, although some people do their own excursions. Last year there was a ship shuttle to Livorno station. I have done ship tours there twice. Cinque Terre the first time around and Florence and the wine tour of Tuscany last year. The other ports I have done on my own as most things are easily accessible by public transport or walking.

To Ronandannette. Barcelona is the main embarkation port and is called Day 1-they get the balloons, welcome aboard etc. When embarking in Rome we just had a small muster in the theatre at around 4.30 as less people embarked there. On the Barcelona Day, I think we got a sticker or card saying we were in transit so we could come and go without having to join the embarkation line. It all works though and disembarkation at Rome was very easy two years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am trying to book flight arrangements to Barcelona, and I am having some difficulty. Hello,

I am trying to book flight arrangements to Barcelona, I am having some difficulty. How many of you have used the cruise line for your flight and transfer arrangements?How many of you have used the cruise line for your flight and transfer arrangements?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk