Do You Have To Do Studio for Solo Privileges on NCL?

ajw827

I think the NCL solo cabins and their own studio lounge is fantastic. As a solo traveler, I tend to be by myself most of the day but would love to be able to meet people for meals and maybe a couple of excursions.

Problem is, I'm pretty claustrophobic. I honestly think I will lose it if I don't have a balcony. Honestly, I can't even deal with an inside cabin. I feel the walls caving in on me. I think those studios are just too confining.

So, if I call NCL and say I'm traveling solo, but want a balcony (I know I'd pay a supplement), will I be excluded from the solo area? I know they have a special access key, etc.

Thanks

On the Getaway (and I presume it would apply to all NCL with studio lounges), solos not staying in the studios could get access to the lounge for the solo gatherings or events, so usually, between 5pm and 7pm. The Solo Coordinator would unlock the doors to the studio area at around 5pm. That being said, most of our gatherings were actually at the Sunset Bar area at 5pm. The Coordinator would be there and after some general chit-chat any solo travellers wishing to eat together went to the MDR together. I think one of the solos I talked to, who was staying outside of the studios, did request and manage to get a card to be able to get through the locked door into the studio lounge area, but don't know if that was a special request. Just check with your solo coordinator on the first day, and you should have no problem. We were given a list of all solo events for the whole cruise which indicated which ones were hosted and which were a suggestion.

Edited by westcoasttech

What does the solo lounge get me? I will be solo on the NCL Epic on March 1, but I don't have studio room.

If I go to the bother to go to the solo lounge, what do I get from going there?

Or is it just of place for solo travelers to meet?

Solo lounge on Epic has:

• Pastries/snacks/cookies or some other (free) food at all times
  • The last of the "brew your own coffee drinks" machines -- you can make a cappuccino or latte or just enjoy foamy milk
  • A vending machine for sodas and other snacks, the stuff you'd find in a mini-bar in the non-Studio cabins. It takes your room key to purchase stuff with.
  • Chairs and tables and a bigger TV
  • A place to meet other solos
  • A bulletin board to leave messages or join solo events with
  • During reception time, a bartender who can sell you alcoholic drinks

I liked it when I was in a Studio on Epic. When I was solo on Breakaway, I don't think I bothered to go there. It's really up to you.

Most of that I don't have a need for, but for some reason I really like making my own Latte and drinking seconds after it was made.

Also I will be interested in the 'solo' events.

If they will let me I will drop by then.

Amazing to me, I did not even know about the solo lounge last week when I booked the cruise. My travel agent mentioned it in passing but the forum is where I go to get the real details.

Most of that I don't have a need for, but for some reason I really like making my own Latte and drinking seconds after it was made.

Also I will be interested in the 'solo' events.

If they will let me I will drop by then.

Amazing to me, I did not even know about the solo lounge last week when I booked the cruise. My travel agent mentioned it in passing but the forum is where I go to get the real details.

Be sure to report back in to CC on your experience so we know if not getting a studio effects solo lounge access and services at all. Hope you have fun.