Just booked Alaska Jewel on a whim!

maui07

Just booked my family on the May 23 sailing on the Jewel to Alaska! With the kids sail free promo how could we turn that down? Wish us luck as we sail with our 1 year old and 3 year old in an inside cabin. Ha! Haven't cruised in almost 3 years, this will be our 4th alaska cruise and 5th NCL cruise, first time cruising with the baby as he is only 10 months. Looking forward to our 3 year old being able to join the kids program this time. Mom and dad may get to eat somewhere other than the buffet and blue lagoon. Any new changes on NCL I should know about since our last cruise in 2012?

Sarah

Happy for you. We're booked on the Jewel for May 7. First time to Alaska. First time on the Jewel. We're very excited as the days get closer. I don't know that much has changed other than the introduction of the Beverage and Dining packages. I've only sailed NCL and have loved every time I've cruised. Hope your cruise is fantastic!

Also - Moderno is now on the Jewel too - the Brazilian Steakhouse. We love it!

Edited by sc2011

Thanks for the heads up everyone, we love alaska and are from washington state so just a quick drive to get to the port. Even living amongst some beautiful scenery here in washington, alaska takes things to a whole new level of beauty. We always cruise alaska in september so are looking forward to what a may sailing will bring. Like everyone says, alaska weather can turn on a dime so expect the worst but hope for the best. Happy sailing and day dreaming to all. ps. who saw that carnival cruise ad during super bowl and wanted to book a cruise immediately? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious about the Jewel, are the family insides much bigger than the regular insides (for 4)? Is the layout different in terms of bedding? The family insides on the cruise I am considering are being offered for about $150 more than an inside guarantee.

May I suggest that you wait until after final payment date to book, as the prices will likely be lower (wait until 55 days before and start price watching), and you don't have to worry about airfare since you will be driving to port.

You might be able to save a good deal on your existing room.

May I suggest that you wait until after final payment date to book, as the prices will likely be lower (wait until 55 days before and start price watching), and you don't have to worry about airfare since you will be driving to port.

You might be able to save a good deal on your existing room.

I also booked the Jewel to Alaska May 30-June 6th with the KSF promo. I have never sailed NCL before. I also live in Seattle. I was considering trying the last minute cruise route instead of booking now. BUT they offered the KSF and UDP and OBC- So I booked. I am a mom of 4 year old twins. There will 4 in a ocean view. This is the first time we will be sailing with the twins in the same room (we normally book connecting cabins) Would you in my case cancel and wait to rebook after final payment? We were thinking about switching to the Pearl in May because they visit Glacier Bay. I would assume that sailing will be more popular and possibly sell out-- right?

Edited by MoyCoy

Quote from you...

Serious question: Are you honestly happy with 4 people in the balcony room? Would a second room (an inside in addition to your balcony) provide a more pleasant cruising experience?

I ask this because I would HATE having 4 people in a balcony room. I would honestly rather stay home. I always get two rooms if I have 3-4 total people in my party.

If 4 in the balcony isn't a big deal to you (i.e. it won't increase your enjoyment much to have a second room), then just go for the KSF, as you are likely to do best with that.

However, if you would enjoy a second room, I would suggest the following:

1) Book the room early with the KSF promotion

2) Watch prices on final payment date.

2a) If the price of a balcony room has gone down or stayed the same on final payment date, CANCEL the room. Then use my 14-55 day trick to buy both a balcony room and an inside when they fall in price.

2b) If the price of a balcony room has gone up significantly over what you originally booked, keep the original KSF booking, as a bargain is less likely to appear.

Alternately, you can keep the KSF booking after final payment date, and then if you see a "dumped" inside room come up, cancel 2 of the people out of your room (one adult, one child), and book a new inside at the bargain rate. Then call back and ask them to upgrade you based upon the fare you paid. For example, if you paid $920 each for the room for the KSF promotion, and if a mini-suite is now going for $1050, you can probably upgrade to that mini suite for $130 per person. You can do this because you are no longer utilizing the KSF promotion on that room.

My Answer-- hum no we would prefer two rooms (connecting) BUT feel silly doing that if the kids could sail free. BUT I have zero experience with kids in our room, so my knowledge is limited. How can one book a last minute connecting stateroom?

Edited by MoyCoy

pokerpro5, thanks for your comment. I also checked out the thread in your signature and that was very helpful too!!! An additional question: on the cruise I am interested in, the final payment date is approaching. The 55 day limit is in mid-March, but the KSF promo ends on February 28. Should I book by Feb 28? In case it makes any difference, the NCF is $300 for the first 2 passengers, the current rate I'm being offered is $500 with the 3rd/4th free.

Edited by theloo

I tried to edit my last post, but it's been too long.

Here's my situation: we probably have 7 people sailing. Currently, in 2 rooms with KSF and TA OBC, the net price is $419 pp x 4 paid passengers + 3 free passengers = $1676. By the way, the NCF = $300. Even if I wait until 55 or fewer days out, it doesn't sound like it will go lower than about $400 pp and we would lose the KSF, so it would be a minimum of $2000, though we would be able to get 3 rooms. Advice?

My Answer-- hum no we would prefer two rooms (connecting) BUT feel silly doing that if the kids could sail free. BUT I have zero experience with kids in our room, so my knowledge is limited. How can one book a last minute connecting stateroom?

You are unlikely to be able to get a connecting stateroom last minute (or even 55 days out), or even one right next door.

The kids sailing free is indeed a good deal, but keep in mind that you might be unhappy having 4 people crammed into one stateroom. I know that I would HATE it.

What you might want to do is just stick with your current room with the kids currently booked there, and then do some price-watching when it gets to 55 days out.

If you see the price for an inside cabin fall to something you're comfortable with, you can remove one adult and one kid from your original room and move them to the new stateroom. There will be no extra charge for doing this (provided it's more than 14 days out), other than the charge of the new stateroom.

I tried to edit my last post, but it's been too long.

Here's my situation: we probably have 7 people sailing. Currently, in 2 rooms with KSF and TA OBC, the net price is $419 pp x 4 paid passengers + 3 free passengers = $1676. By the way, the NCF = $300. Even if I wait until 55 or fewer days out, it doesn't sound like it will go lower than about $400 pp and we would lose the KSF, so it would be a minimum of $2000, though we would be able to get 3 rooms. Advice?

See the post I just made above.

Go ahead and book before February 28 as you were originally planning.

Then start price watching at 55 days. If you see a new room at a price you like, you can move 2 passengers out of one of your existing rooms and into the new room. There will be no penalty for doing so, as long as 14 or more days remain.

Of course, you will end up spending more money doing this, but I can assure you that 3 rooms for 7 people will be far better than 2.

Also, here is some food for thought.

I just cruised Alaska in August.

I can tell you that having a balcony room was GREAT, and I would have been very unhappy with just an oceanview. This is because Alaska cruises are all about the scenery, so having your own private balcony to view it is great. Looking through a window isn't the same as actually feeling like you're part of it in the open air.

Something you might want to do is price-watch the balcony rooms after 55 days, and if it gets low enough, buy one of those as your "extra" room in the manner I described above.

Alternately, you can also ask NCL if they will let you upgrade to a balcony (once the price drops) for the difference between what you paid and what it's going for at the time. They will always let you do this, but the trick is keeping your promotions intact, which is hit-and-miss, but you might be able to talk them into it.

Anyway, just keep in mind that you will really enjoy having a balcony on the Alaska cruise.

Edited by pokerpro5

You are unlikely to be able to get a connecting stateroom last minute (or even 55 days out), or even one right next door.

The kids sailing free is indeed a good deal, but keep in mind that you might be unhappy having 4 people crammed into one stateroom. I know that I would HATE it.

What you might want to do is just stick with your current room with the kids currently booked there, and then do some price-watching when it gets to 55 days out.

If you see the price for an inside cabin fall to something you're comfortable with, you can remove one adult and one kid from your original room and move them to the new stateroom. There will be no extra charge for doing this (provided it's more than 14 days out), other than the charge of the new stateroom.

Thank You~~

See the post I just made above.

Go ahead and book before February 28 as you were originally planning.

Then start price watching at 55 days. If you see a new room at a price you like, you can move 2 passengers out of one of your existing rooms and into the new room. There will be no penalty for doing so, as long as 14 or more days remain.

Of course, you will end up spending more money doing this, but I can assure you that 3 rooms for 7 people will be far better than 2.

I sailed to Alaska 3 years ago and REALLY enjoyed the balcony too, especially when cruising the inside passage. I will keep a heads up! I am not looking forward to being in the same room though. My kids are super active! Hopefully the activities on the ship will alleviate some of their energy.

Are there any parents out there who has sailed in a OC with 2 young children who would not mind giving me a quick comment , from your perspective?

Edited by MoyCoy

Also, here is some food for thought.

I just cruised Alaska in August.

I can tell you that having a balcony room was GREAT, and I would have been very unhappy with just an oceanview. This is because Alaska cruises are all about the scenery, so having your own private balcony to view it is great. Looking through a window isn't the same as actually feeling like you're part of it in the open air.

Something you might want to do is price-watch the balcony rooms after 55 days, and if it gets low enough, buy one of those as your "extra" room in the manner I described above.

Alternately, you can also ask NCL if they will let you upgrade to a balcony (once the price drops) for the difference between what you paid and what it's going for at the time. They will always let you do this, but the trick is keeping your promotions intact, which is hit-and-miss, but you might be able to talk them into it.

Anyway, just keep in mind that you will really enjoy having a balcony on the Alaska cruise.

Wow! Really great advice there! Thanks.

Currently booked on the Pearl - Alaska for 2016. We booked a Oceanview w/ Kids Sale Free and Free UDP.

I know the prices will still drop since the cruise is far away so I'm hoping we can get a Balcony. The price of the Balcony for our sailing is about $4000. Hoping it will come down to about $3000 by this time next year.

Wow! Really great advice there! Thanks.

Currently booked on the Pearl - Alaska for 2016. We booked a Oceanview w/ Kids Sale Free and Free UDP.

I know the prices will still drop since the cruise is far away so I'm hoping we can get a Balcony. The price of the Balcony for our sailing is about $4000. Hoping it will come down to about $3000 by this time next year.

Wow the prices for next year are really quite a bit higher than this year for Alaska. I thought prices would be lower because you are booking a year in advance. It that normal for NCL?

Wow the prices for next year are really quite a bit higher than this year for Alaska. I thought prices would be lower because you are booking a year in advance. It that normal for NCL?

Not so sure. Haven't book this far ahead before. But they have the KSF for Aug 2016... so we thought, why not.