Alaskan cruise with kids on Jewel

mommyto3girls:)

I have not been on a ship with the Nick characters but I remember another frequent poster here (SD Mike)who was on the Jewel to AK with his family in 2011 or 12. Here is what the NCL web page has to say.

Nickelodeon

"Norwegian Jewel offers exclusive Nickelodeon entertainment at sea for kids of all ages. Whether you’re singing along with SpongeBob and friends at our Pajama Jam Character Breakfast or giggling during a playful Nickelodeon show, there’s something for everyone in your family to enjoy."

It took a lot of digging but here is a page that fully describes the Nick onboard activities http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/nickelodeon

It sounds like it is all free.

The Nickelodeon part isnt all over the ship like you might see on a disney cruise. However, each night they will do a meet and greet with a different character or two which is free. but they do take photos and try to sell those in the gallery. They also do a character breakfast with all the charcters which was about $20 per person. the breakfast food wasnt anything special but the party was kinda cute. They did dancing and then you could meet the characters, etc We did it in 2013 and we felt it was fun, but are doing the cruise again this year and didn't feel it was worth a repeat. I think they also do some nickelodeon activities throughout the week. And I think sponge bob is at the sail away party. Its all free except for the breakfast or any photos you purchase.

id also check out threads on the kids area, its not nick themed, but they do have themed nights and themed events. my kids were 4 and 6 and they LOVED the played area, they never wanted to leave :)

We just booked a cruise on the jewel this summer. We have a 6 year old and I understand there are Nick characters on this ship. Anyone have experience with this ? Cost?

We have been on the Jewel and we attended the Pajama Jam Character Breakfast. We paid around $20 per person (on Jewel and Gem) and it includes a complimentary photo. You can pick one from the pictures that they have taken. They also used our camera to take our photos. I'm not sure if the price already changed, we last attended the Pajama Jam Character Breakfast Dec 2013.

Aside from the Pajama Jam Character Breakfast, they also had FREE ACTIVITIES like character meet and greets, Story time with Dora, Dance Parties, etc... The schedule will be published on the Freestyle Daily.

In our experience, you won't see the characters walking around. We really had to seek them out.

Edited by aquarianne11

We spent 2 weeks on the Jewel in May of 2013. It's a great ship and your child will have an awesome time

I suggest as soon as you board, go to the Splash Academy. This will be your(as the parent) only opportunity to look around the kids play area. Sign them up and get that out of the was so when the club opens around 8pm that first night, your child can get checked right in and ready to have fun.

When you sign up to Kids Club, you will get a Weekly Itinerary of activities and themes for each day.

Also in the Regular Dailies you get in your Cabin each evening, Look for Nick Activities. They will list some Slime Time Game activities usually held poolside a couple days during the cruise (sea days) generally. They are fun to watch and they select lots of kids to participate.

There are also the Character M&Gs and Family Dance Parties or Family Art Activities that usually involve a character.

Bottom Line, is Look at and use those Dailies. Check them out in the Evening when you get them, so you don't miss something the next day.

Have a wonderful cruise!

We looked at doing an Alaskan with our 4 YO and my parents last year. Our TA recommended against it as Alaskan's tended to skew towards an older demographic and didn't have as many children for our daughter to interact with.

She could be wrong, but hasn't given us bad advice yet. We will definitely do an Alaskan, however, will wait until our daughter is older.

We looked at doing an Alaskan with our 4 YO and my parents last year. Our TA recommended against it as Alaskan's tended to skew towards an older demographic and didn't have as many children for our daughter to interact with.

She could be wrong, but hasn't given us bad advice yet. We will definitely do an Alaskan, however, will wait until our daughter is older.

I personally think your TA is VERY Wrong. Especially in the summer. Alaska is a wonderful itinerary for all ages.

My son turned 10 on our Alaska cruise and there were many younger kids. Now will your 4 y/o remember Alaska when older, I doubt it, but they probably won't remember the Caribbean either. We even went in May when there were not a lot of kids. We homeschool, so can cruise at off times.

ive been to alaska three times and have never felt that way. we took our kids in 2013 and there were lots of children. that cruise was in july and the ship was filled with families. and my son was 4yo when we went last and is still one of his favorite trips he talks about all the time. one of the reasons we are doing it again this year :)

I'm booked on the 5/7 cruise with my 5 yo gd. When I went on prior year the breakfast was just 10.00 but it wasn't anything different than what you would get in the dinning room.

Also, there is a schedule of the various activities that they would conduct.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Going august 22 and cannot wait! Only issue is daughter has celiac disease and cannot eat gluten, I'm hopeful for good food for her. We just were on disney dream and they treated her so well, hoping for similar experience.

Be sure you phone NCL's Special Needs dept. they'll send you paperwork to fill out so your cruise will be prepared. Then you can meet with head waiter each evening to choose menu for next night.