Tortola - Are they still stopping here?

tamilyn

I thought I read somewhere that RCI is not being allowed to stop at this port due to construction of a pier or something. Does anyone have information on this? We are on Jewel in April and it still has it listed as a stop on our itinerary.

Supposed to be completed April 2015

A recent report from the BVI Beacon indicates the contractors working on the cruise ship pier and the construction of the Tortola Pier Park is well underway. According to the BVI Port Authority the required drawings for the pier have been completed by the architects and construction workers had driven 123 piles, the posts that are driven into the ground to support the structure above. The dredging project required to lower the seabed on both sides of the pier to 37.5 feet began on November 23, 2014. Approximately, 17% of the dredging is complete with 13,800 cubic yards of material already removed by the contractors who are working around the clock.

The previously signed berthing agreements required that the pier be completed by April 2015. The Tortola Pier Park must be “substantially complete” by the summer of 2015. If not, Norwegian Cruise Lines and Disney Cruise Line can exercise a clause in the contract to port elsewhere and would not be required to pay the committed per passenger tax.

Courtesy from a Disney Blog By Scott Sanders.

Hope this helps.

Google "Tortola Pier Park Construction" to see maps and images

Hope this helps.

Happy Days!

We are on the Legend at the end of this month and we are not going there. Going to St Thomas instead.

Anyone else? We've received no notifications for our March 20th sailing and our cruise planner still shows Tortola. Were you given a heads up re: St. Thomas ahead of time via email? on your cruise planner??

I thought I read somewhere it depends on the size of the ship. We will be on one of the smaller ones, so I think we can still dock.

Hi Sharonlacy. You probably scanned over it too fast and didn't see it... Read the original post I quoted. That cruiser specifically said Legend

I think our March 20th Legend OTS cruise will stop there, but will tender. All current scheduled Tortola visits indicate anchorage on the BVI cruise ship schedule.

Aaaah! OK, thank you very much for this. :)

Hmmm, our March 23 date in port is the only day they'll have 3 ships in port in all of March so I can see tendering maybe being a bit of an issue ... hope not.

Anyone else? We've received no notifications for our March 20th sailing and our cruise planner still shows Tortola. Were you given a heads up re: St. Thomas ahead of time via email? on your cruise planner??

Yes we got an mail from TA which came from RCL. You might get lucky and still be going if you haven't received an email.

We all know the RC website is far from "accurate" but it currently shows JW still stopping in Tortola on the Feb 28, Mar 28, and Apr 25 cruises this year. Those are the only RC ships showing as stopping at Tortola before Nov 2015.

Just been to Tortola and no way will that peir be finished for some time yet, maybe not til end of 2015.

We were tendered in.

Where do you "land" "go ashore" when you tender? Is it near the pier construction or over by the ferry's or elsewhere? Thanks!

Edited by skiiergirl

I thought I read somewhere that RCI is not being allowed to stop at this port due to construction of a pier or something. Does anyone have information on this? We are on Jewel in April and it still has it listed as a stop on our itinerary.

Are you on the 4/25 sailing? If so, come over to the Meet & Mingle thread and chat with us. (I don't recognize your name from there...sorry if I overlooked it.)

Edited by skiiergirl

I think our March 20th Legend OTS cruise will stop there, but will tender. All current scheduled Tortola visits indicate anchorage on the BVI cruise ship schedule.

Just got the notification our March 20th sailing on Legend OTS will not be going to Tortola:(

FYI:

I sent an email directly to BVI port authority regarding this as to confirm if the Jewel would be in port Mar 1. Just this week got a reply and it said NO, the Jewell will NOT be in port. So after all the back and forth questions, concerns, I have no idea who to believe. Guess have to wait and see where we end up. As long as there is sun, I don't really care.:)

FYI:

I sent an email directly to BVI port authority regarding this as to confirm if the Jewel would be in port Mar 1. Just this week got a reply and it said NO, the Jewell will NOT be in port. So after all the back and forth questions, concerns, I have no idea who to believe. Guess have to wait and see where we end up. As long as there is sun, I don't really care.:)

Wow! I have sent several emails over the last couple of months to port authority and no reply. (for JW 4/26 visit) what email address did you use?

On Our January cruise on Jewel, someone at the Meet & Mingle asked Dennis the Cruise director why we were not informed by RCCI about the change in our Itinerary, His reply stated they only make the decision on the Day the ship departs San Juan if they will go there or not.............Utter Bollock$!!

They removed Tortola from our Excursion list in August 2014.

Don't believe everything the CD tells you:o

He also said he didn't think the Pier would be ready until the end of this year as someone had totally underestimated the amount of work involved when they made the original plan.

Edited by clarky213