Jeans on first and last night

Mazzie

Hi, I'm going on a Royal Caribbean cruise to the med. After reading different posts on this forum, I didn't think jeans were appropriate for a cruise, but my boss, who's been on several cruises including Celebrity, says that lots of people wear jeans on the first and last night for packing reasons (on the last night they take you luggage, so you can wear your jeans the next day for travelling in).

Can someone tell me if this is correct as I don't want to take clothes that I probably won't wear (as I'd got outfits sorted for every night and don't want to look over dressed).

Thanks a lot.

My experience is that the ship is always more accepting and liberal on the first night since many cruisers may not have received their checked bags yet. However, there is really no reason why the dress code shouldn't be followed on the last night. After all, there's plenty of time to pack following dinner.

IME, "lots of people" do not wear jeans to the dining room on the first and last nights of the cruise. Yes, you will see some and it differs from cruise to cruise. It is by no means a majority.

I myself do not even pack jeans unless I am going to Alaska and then only for excursions.

I must agree with Caviargirl and others who stated that although *some* people do wear jeans to the dining room the first night, it has been my experience that most people still dress per the requested dress code.

This has been true for the last night on board as well, since luggage isn't picked up until early the next morning (but at least after midnight)

Can someone tell me if this is correct as I don't want to take clothes that I probably won't wear (as I'd got outfits sorted for every night and don't want to look over dressed).

You will not look over dressed if you wear something other than jeans, you will be dressed appropriately.

Enjoy!

~e

The Med is going to be much more formal at dinner than the caribbean for example. There will be more Europeans on the cruise and they dress more formally for dinner than we do in the US. There will be few, if any, jeans at dinner. In the Caribbean and Alaska you may see several pairs. Nice kahkis will be appropriate if you want pants.

Thanks for everyone's helpful replies. I'll stick to my original outifits - I like making a bit of effort in the evenings anyway.

Just in the middle of packing now, ready to leave tomorrow to set sail on Saturday - can't wait!:)

Archived