25th Anniversary - 10 day Vista - Too busy?. Help please

wnorman

Will be 25 year anniversary in 2016 and looking at vista. Beautiful ship but seems very busy with only 1 day at sea and won't be on ship for most of the time. Great opportunity to see countries we never have. Have only been to Izmir. With being in port all but one day is it still worth getting a balcony or cove balcony. Can't decide whether to book or not. Also air is not out yet for sept 2016 from Toronto so that is worrisome even though I'm sure flights will work out somehow. Also wondering whether to start from Athens or Barcelona. Would want to spend time in both before/after. Starting in Barcelona we'd miss seeing Malta and Sicily. Would be the only way we'd get to see all those countries so maybe the business would be worth it. Opinions

Will be 25 year anniversary in 2016 and looking at vista. Beautiful ship but seems very busy with only 1 day at sea and won't be on ship for most of the time. Great opportunity to see countries we never have. Have only been to Izmir. With being in port all but one day is it still worth getting a balcony or cove balcony. Can't decide whether to book or not. Also air is not out yet for sept 2016 from Toronto so that is worrisome even though I'm sure flights will work out somehow. Also wondering whether to start from Athens or Barcelona. Would want to spend time in both before/after. Starting in Barcelona we'd miss seeing Malta and Sicily. Would be the only way we'd get to see all those countries so maybe the business would be worth it. Opinions

All valid concerns and points. In our case we feel it will be busy but we are going to do things that allow us to not be to rushed. We are leaving the week before our cruise (6/21/16 Athens to Barcelona) We are spending 4 days in Rome and 2 days in Athens before the cruise. This will allow us to adjust to the time change before the cruise, allow us to have a relaxing boarding day and also stay on the ship in Civatavicchia (Rome). We have booked a balcony as we enjoy the ability to sit and chat with the sound of the ocean. My wife is claustrophobic so that is part of the balcony to .:)

Your 25th anniversary is special, so a trip like this would be a great gift to one another! You did not mention if you have kids going with you but I am sure if you do they would find it a great way to celebrate with you. As I tell everyone about cruising, a cruise is everything that you make it, no more no less. As you said this is an opportunity to see things that otherwise you will not! As for flights from Toronto I bet you will be in the 1,200 to 1,800 range return. I am shadow booking (June 2015 dates) from Vancouver with flights to Rome, then Athens. From Barcellona to Paris and then home to Vancouver. I use Google flights(multi city) and I have been as low as 1,200 and as high as 5,000.

We choose Athens to Barcelona as it fit our schedule and the ports all look fabulous. Our daughters also had a say in it and they are extremly happy about this cruise.

My opinion is decide which ports you want and then book the cruise! You will have a fabulous time :D

I also thought it was a port intensive itinerary, but my logic was since I'm going to pay an arm and a leg for airfare, I might as well get as many days as I can. I also plan on doing some half day excursions and enjoying the ship as well. The only full day excursion I will probably do is Rome as it's just a magical city to me. Maybe Naples too if I decide on Capri.

I chose the Barcelona to Athens itinerary as I like that it stays overnight in Athens so I'll have more leeway on airfare choices on the way back. And due to popular advice here, I will fly in a day early and stay in Barcelona one night.

This is a dream itinerary for me (except it doesn't include Santorini) so just may have to return one day.:cool:

I also thought it was a port intensive itinerary, but my logic was since I'm going to pay an arm and a leg for airfare, I might as well get as many days as I can. I also plan on doing some half day excursions and enjoying the ship as well. The only full day excursion I will probably do is Rome as it's just a magical city to me. Maybe Naples too if I decide on Capri.

I chose the Barcelona to Athens itinerary as I like that it stays overnight in Athens so I'll have more leeway on airfare choices on the way back. And due to popular advice here, I will fly in a day early and stay in Barcelona one night.

This is a dream itinerary for me (except it doesn't include Santorini) so just may have to return one day.:cool:

i love Capri and the Almafi coast spent most of june last year wondering around italy!! best vacation ever! there is a chair lift in Capri that blew my mind!!

Even though the 10 day is port intensive, there are some ports that really can be relaxing.

In Marseille we just took a cab to the old port. It really is lovely and there and there are a lot cute little shops and cafes. You can also hop on a ferry to Chateau D'If from there or on Le Petit Train to go up to Notre Dame de la Garde. It's a very easy, pleasant day.

We used Rome in Limo in Naples and they were fabulous. Just hop in a van and go where you please. We went to Pompeii, Positano and Sorrento. Strolling around Positano and Sorrento was gorgeous. Pompeii was a lot but I guess it is just one of those "must do" things.

There are certainly a lot of the ports that can be as relaxing or as strenuous as you want them to be. For us it is exactly as it has already been said, airfare is prohibitive so we are going to see as much as we can. But we are also going to fly in 2 days early and stay in Athens and stay a day or two later to see what we missed our first time around in Barcelona. :D

• 2 weeks later...

It's not too busy. I have health concerns and mobility issues at times and we did a 12 day (11 port) trip on the Sunshine a few years ago and I am about to book the Vista. If you are concerned with the days you could always go for the 8 day cruise instead. Either way I bet you will not be disappointed.

We had an overnight in Venice when we were there and we did stay on ship one day, basically giving ourselves a second sea day, which helped as well.

Your port days can be as physical only as you want them. Yes Florence and Pisa are remarkable (and walking heavy) but a pleasant tour of Tuscany instead with some wine tastings and lunch in a little local place will be amazing and memorable and a lot less tiring.

We tried to balance busy days like Rome or Pompeii with relaxing days like Tuscany or the driving tour of Bosnia and Croatia we did on Dubrovnik day.

Whatever you decide for your anniversary you will have a blast!