Street artists in paris

itsanita

I always struggle as to what to bring back to my kids/grand kids when we travel. I had a thought about Paris. I would take a picture (head shot) of each of my 5 grandchildren and have a street artist sketch a picture. Not a caricature, but a likeness of each child. These pictures would then be very easy to pack and bring home with me where I could then have them framed. I did used Google to find some info on this idea and found many artists are in the Montmartre area, where we planned to visit anyway. But in reading peoples reviews, it sounded like a bit of a nightmare...with artists in your face, sketching you without permission, then expecting you to pay them. And it seemed like these were all caricatures. Not at all what i am looking for.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions for me?

Where else would be a good place to go in the city, and any idea what range the price would be?

Thanks

I always struggle as to what to bring back to my kids/grand kids when we travel. I had a thought about Paris. I would take a picture (head shot) of each of my 5 grandchildren and have a street artist sketch a picture. Not a caricature, but a likeness of each child. These pictures would then be very easy to pack and bring home with me where I could then have them framed. I did used Google to find some info on this idea and found many artists are in the Montmartre area, where we planned to visit anyway. But in reading peoples reviews, it sounded like a bit of a nightmare...with artists in your face, sketching you without permission, then expecting you to pay them. And it seemed like these were all caricatures. Not at all what i am looking for.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions for me?

Where else would be a good place to go in the city, and any idea what range the price would be?

Thanks

Boy that is a tough one,and I am going to say you may not get what you want in Montmartre because they are after the tourist dollar for sure. I have bought a few small oil paintings ther over the years which I love,and I bought them from an elderly woman whom I dare say by now is not there anymore. The only thing I can say about being in the area is to feel out a fre artists,if they speak English, and tell them what you want them to do. It probably will cost you so know what you want to pay,what they say (if they will do it) and work out a price from there. If any of them there get in your face about doing a cartcatures just smile and say no sil-vous-plait and walk away. Look for someone who may be plder and have some other artworks as well,but ask first if the speak English so there is no misunderstanding when it comes to price and excatly what you want.Also,ther are a few galleries that you could stop in and ask if they know some one in the park area that may be of help to you.BUT, like I said know what you think is a fair price right at the start. It's a great idea so I hope it works for you. You may also check out the area around the Eiffle tower as well as a back-up,but go to Montmartre first and see what you can do.

How old are your grandchildren? They might think it 'cool' to get something French from a store?

Also, how long are you in Paris for and is your hotel a firm booking? The reason I ask is that it is possible to rent an apartment from 3 days and that will give you more of a 'feel' for Paris and whichever arrondissement (neighbourhood) you are in. Overseas friends of ours always do this at the beginning/end of their trip.

If you email me on

mpm535 AT hotmail dot com

I can offer you more advice.

But whatever you do, do NOT go to Place du Tertre with one of those little bags parked on your 'derrière' - you might as well be wearing an illuminated sign saying 'Pickpockets this way'!!:)

HTH