The walls are thin!

TxSandMom

After reading all this, i'm begining to think they should hire a ships counselor LOL.

If they look like Deanna Troi, there'd be a *long* line! Especially if her office was on the F-Deck :D

Never mind the thin walls... what about all the thumping from the poor bed... I won't tell you how many times the audience at Karaoke had to send someone up to complain that they couldnt hear the music. And of course my biggest complaint was that everytime she was in the mood... the stewart picked that time to want to come in and clean the room. :D

Ever try the drinking glass against the wall trick ! :D

Yes and it works :D LOL,, on my first cruise, my sister-in-law got really pissed when my DH won at slots.. well she went storming to her room with her DH behind her.. so me and my friend went to my cabin which was next to hers.. and used the drinking glass trick, and boy was she letting her DH hold it.. why I dont know,, it wasnt his fault my DH won...

Well, you know what they say....if it last for more than 4 hours, call a doctor. To heck with that stuff, if it lasts more than 4 hours, call your friends! You da man!:D

Never call the doctor. He might prescribe something to make it go away. :)

The walls on the Valor was very thin because my friends would ask me and my room mate what did we have to talk about all not. We were not talking loud at all! I guess they was wondering what do a 43 year old woman has to talk about to an 86 year old woman so late about? I was truly surprised that they could hear us. We even trying lowering our voices to an whisper and that still didn't help:eek: .

Guest LetMeGo
Perhaps the walls were not that thin....Maybe she was just Loud..........

Yes, the walls actually are very thin. :D

The inside walls of each cabin are less than an inch thick (including the metal surfaces), and there's no soundproofing between standard cabins...

In fact the empty space between the cabins and the metallic fittings would probbaly add an extra resonance to the sound which you don't get in buildings. :rolleyes:

Ever try the drinking glass against the wall trick ! :D

one of those cheap stethescopes you can get in the drugstore work really good too!

So what would be proper ettiquette in a situation like that? Should you bang on the wall (no pun intended) or should you just say nothing?:confused:

what happens aboard...stays aboard...

Yes, the walls actually are very thin. :D

The inside walls of each cabin are less than an inch thick (including the metal surfaces), and there's no soundproofing between standard cabins...

In fact the empty space between the cabins and the metallic fittings would probbaly add an extra resonance to the sound which you don't get in buildings. :rolleyes:

Seems to me that most ships have very good soundproofing, especially given the thin walls. We could hardly hear the people pounding on the wall next door, in fact someone who was leaning against the wall felt the banging first... :o

It doesn't matter too much if it is just air in the empty spaces. It is what they put between the wall panels and the structure. That solid connection between the walls is how most of the sound is transmitted, and a thin rubber/foam pad will mute most of it.

Guest LetMeGo
Seems to me that most ships have very good soundproofing, especially given the thin walls. We could hardly hear the people pounding on the wall next door, in fact someone who was leaning against the wall felt the banging first... :o

It doesn't matter too much if it is just air in the empty spaces. It is what they put between the wall panels and the structure. That solid connection between the walls is how most of the sound is transmitted, and a thin rubber/foam pad will mute most of it.

Are you sure there was any sound to be heard? I doubt our neighbours e.g. have anything to complain about in that department. :D

I don't know about the other ships, but I do know that all the passenger cabins in the Spirit-class ships are separate pre-assembled units, and only have a common connection via the deck plating, buried under the carpet and "cement" covering. There is only air between the cabins, and the only places that have any separate soundproofing (extra mineral wool) are the ones that are next to the public areas. (Boring personal memories over for now. ;) )

Archived