Rays Reefs combo with lunch

britchicknyc

We did the Rays, Reef and Rum point tour with Nativeway on Aug 19.

Excellent day. There was a group of 8 of us. We met at the tender dock

then took a bus to the marina. Small cabin craft took us out to the reef.

The Rays area was crowded at first so we started at the reef. Then switched over. Really enjoyed it. They give a menu to select lunch then called it in to Rum Point. Everything was ready when we docked. Rum point is gorgeous. Hammocks, tables, nice beach. A place I would love to spend

a few days at. Lunch was good. I had the Jerk Pork sandwich with fries and slaw. Large portions, with three sandwiches. The menu is pretty

good with fish, burgers, chicken, pork, salads and fruit. We left rum point

about 3:30 since everyone was getting antsy about doing some shopping

and of course not missing the ship. Nativeway does a great job with

this tour. I would definately do it again.

BTW....if you are prone to seasickness, suggest you take something

before the tour. It's a pretty bumpy ride out. DW really got it bad during

the trip and the bathroom is tiny LOL.

FRANKM - Do you know if this tour runs at a different time each day? When I emailed Sharon at Nativeway about this tour for 12/7/05, she said it would depart at 9:30am and complete at 2:45pm...Just wondering since you said you were still at Rum Point at 3:30pm?? :confused: We are in port from 8am - 5pm and I have been assured by a few that we will be okay, but I just wanted to make sure. Again. :o :) I really don't want to worry about missing the ship! Thanks! :)

BTW....if you are prone to seasickness, suggest you take something

before the tour. It's a pretty bumpy ride out. DW really got it bad during

the trip and the bathroom is tiny LOL.

FRANKM-was the rough ride the whole way or the trip to rum point? Or the trip from rum point back to the pier? I was wondering about this for me and my daughters...that maybe we should just do the rays and reef and froget rum point, but I am wondering where the long or choppy boat ride is. Maybe rum point isn't the issue-it could be choppy on the way to the rays:confused:

We were on Explorer docked from 9:30 to 5:30. Make sure

they give you ships time. Sharon was good about this and

explained that there was a 1 hour difference for Explorer.

Ship was ahead 1 hour. We were met at 10:30 by Ashton at tender dock.

We left maybe 11:00 or so. Had to wait for last couple to

arrive.

The ride out to the reef was a little rough. Maybe it was just

the day we were there. From reef and rays to rum point was fine. DW

had a large breakfast so I can see why it happened. She felt

better when we got to Rum Point although didnt want lunch. Too

bad, the Mahi Mahi I ordered for her was great. LOL

Dont know what other times they do the tour. I suppose it's

based on the ships in port and what time they arrive. I was also

worried about the time beforehand. But Sharon assured me it's

not a problem. They do this everyday. Your group can request

to leave rum point early if it's a concern.

Thanks FrankM! :) Sharon confirmed there will be no difference in ship time v. island time when we're there b/c it's in December. So that will be 1 less for me to worry about! B/c just reading everyone's posts about it, gets a little confusing already!! :o Thanks a lot for all of the info! Glad you had a great time! :)

Thanks I was looking at that one with Nativeway and loved the look of it. This is my first cruise and am nervous about taking independent tours.

I was referring to the tour run by Royal Caribbean.

That said, I am v. tempted to go with NativeWay!

Any feedback on the RC tour would be welcome.

Thanks.....

TBAG...

No need to feel apprehension about the sting rays. They are gorgeous

creatures and very friendly. They love to be petted and of course fed.

Just dont pull the tail or stingers. The boat crew will instruct you on

how to handle and feed them. You will be amazed at how lovable

they are. Some of them have wounds on their backs from the boat

propellers...poor things. We felt so bad.

The snorkeling is ok. Nothing great. The reefs were torn up last year

from the hurricane as was a good deal of the island. You will see this

on your way to the marina. We didnt see a whole lot at the reef. A

small sand shark, an eel and some schools of fish but nothing elaborate.

Nativeway will provide all the snorkeling gear and instructions.

Thanks, FRANKM!!! I am willing to give it a try! Normally when we are in the water and I see a fish, I go the other way! :o But everyone raves about the experience on this tour so I really just want to get over my ridiculous "fears" (not even sure what they are!) and go have a great time!! The more I hear about the Stingrays, the more I think I will enjoy this part of the tour! The snorkeling part...well...we'll see!! But I'm up for trying it at least now!! Thanks again, you've been so helpful and kind!! :)

I'll be on the Nativeway Rays, Reef, and Rum Point next Tuesday, can't wait. You must try the snorkeling. I was nervous when I first did it in Key West years ago but trust me, it is a whole other world under there that you have never seen. Once you get used to breathing through the snorkel, you will never want to take your head out of the water.

I'll be on the Nativeway Rays, Reef, and Rum Point next Tuesday, can't wait. You must try the snorkeling. I was nervous when I first did it in Key West years ago but trust me, it is a whole other world under there that you have never seen. Once you get used to breathing through the snorkel, you will never want to take your head out of the water.

Thank you for the encouragement!! :) Hope you have a wonderful time! Please let us know how it goes!!

We did the Ray, Reef and Rum Point with Nativeway back in May. It was wonderful. The boat ride was rough. We (my husband and I ) were taking Bonnine during the cruise). My husband did not do too well on the boat ride. He looked pretty bad on the way to rum point beach. My youngest son (8 years) started looking pretty bad as soon as we were going to the ray area. But as soon as he got in the water he was able to enjoy the entire excursion (even though I thought he was going to lose it each time the boat was going to take us somewhere). I was surprised that I was perfectly fine. I get motion sickness in cars and do not even go on rides. I took by bonnine and wore my seabands, maybe the seabands did the trick. Would we do it again?

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The water was as smooth as glass when we arrived on 8/23. My DW and kids almost convinced me not to book this tour for fear of the stingrays. They relented at the last moment. The snorkel and stingrays are the main thing that they remember. My DW liked Rum Point better than any of the other beaches we visited. She would rank Rum Point, Majahual and then Paradise Beach but that's because she wasn't looking for the crowds or party scene at Paradise Beach in Cozumel. Others may rank the beaches in reverse order.:p

Archived