Bringing alcohol on board in European ports...

robinamn

There was a post on this board that alluded to the fact that it may be easier to bring alcohol on board in Mediterranean ports. Is this true? I'm only accustomed to how strict they are about this in the Caribbean.

Thanks in advance for your help!

:D

Edited by robinamn

That may have been me and I can say on our 2013 Sunshine cruise you could bring wine on at any port and all you would hear when you walked on board is ding and "welcome back". I would carry it openly w/o issue.

Not sure on harder liquor, I didn't buy any, but they weren't opening bags often so I don't know how they would know what is in the bottle...that's in the bag.

Not sure how it will be in 2016?

• 2 weeks later...

We brought wine onto the Sunshine in almost every port in Italy and about 4 bottles of Limoncello the day we were in Sorrento. I would def say this is a YMMV thing though. I am *hoping* the same will apply to the Vista but I am not counting on it and will get the cruise the Vineyards package anyway. I will also say on European voyages the wine packages offer a best of Europe package instead of the same old one I normally get on Carnival cruises. It was nice to have the "local" wines :)

I might have mentioned something as well.

I posted quite a few times how on our Baltic cruise in 2013 we boarded the ship in Amsterdam with 8 local beers and were let on (all my bags went through the scanner) then in St petersburg I had a clinking bag with 2 large bottles of vodka and a russian sparkling wine and I was let through.

Our fellow passengers noted the same thing even as far as a guy enjoying bottles of beer he had bought while in the Satchmos bar.

:)