Florence by train

Hersheywolf

We took the train to Florence this past summer when we were on the Spirit.

We found it to be very easy and cost effective.

We took the shuttle to town central and then boarded the #1 Bus to the train station.

We bought our tickets at the terminal using an automated machine. The station was crowded and the line for the machine was long but not as long as the tellers.

This was the first port stop after Toulon, which we had a private tour and we had never been to Italy before and we found it to be quite easy to do if you do your homework beforehand.

We had a great day in Florence, seeing the Accademia (took cab from station) strolling from there past the Duomo to Palazzo Vechio and then toured the Uffizi.

Had a quick bite of Pizza and Gelato outside near the Ponte Vechio and then took a cab back to the train station.

We used the train once to get to Pisa. The only comment I would make is that, whilst getting to the train station using the buses described above was fine, we though that it was a pain on the way back when we just wanted to be back on the ship. Is imagine that after the longer journey to Florence this would have been even more of an issue.

If I was doing it again, I would budget in a taxi from Livorno station directly back to the ship.

We used the train once to get to Pisa. The only comment I would make is that, whilst getting to the train station using the buses described above was fine, we though that it was a pain on the way back when we just wanted to be back on the ship. Is imagine that after the longer journey to Florence this would have been even more of an issue.

If I was doing it again, I would budget in a taxi from Livorno station directly back to the ship.

Didn't include in my post, but we did grab a cab from Livorno Centrale back to the ship.

Has anyone gone to Florence by train from port? I have heard totally different opinions. The excursion to Florence on your own is pricy at $99, x5 for us. Thanks!

I believe the Academia and Uffizi are closed on Mondays and do not open even for cruise excursions. This is based on my 2008 trip and things may have changed. If that's what your going for, I would rethink the trip since it's 75 miles each way. We went to Pisa and Lucca instead via the local trains and had a blast. Since we were in Rome the week before the cruise, we took the Eurostar to Florence to see the museums.

We took a taxi from ship to train station and then the train into Florence. Three of us, while walking to the taxi line near the ship, teamed up with 2 others doing the same thing and found a minivan taxi suitable for 5 and split the cost. Easy peasy.

However, on the return trip, we waited outside the train station for about 15 minutes with no taxi in sight. We asked the man inside the station if he could call taxis (there were now about 10 people looking for a taxi). He just shrugged his shoulders.

Having done my research, I walked over to the waiting busses and found the one that would take us to the center of town where the ship shuttles picked up. We were able to get on our ship shuttle with no issues. In our case, NCL charged for the round trip shuttle, but the bus driver didn't have a way to let us pay for it, so he just let us on for free.

Fun day.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

• 3 months later...

Notwithstanding checking to be sure the things you want to see, are open the day you get there.... we took the train to Florence...had pre-booked time-slot for Academia (they let us in early), and then from Florence to Pisa....walked to the Field of Miracles, looked around a bit, and then took the train back to Livorn o with over an hour to spare.

Just be on the first train to Florence... and it's an easy day.