skip formal??

jcike1980

It should be apparent that some of us like to dress up and some of us don't. You pay a lot for a cruise and it is your vacation. You should do what YOU enjoy, not what someone else thinks you should do.....We have been on two cruises and twice we have done formal night and have enjoyed it. This third trip coming up we are think of skipping it and I'm sure will enjoy our selves if we do.....:)

bdjam, I know what you mean, LOL. My DH wears a tux cause he thinks he's hot, which he is, and he thinks it helps him get lucky.

It is a proven fact than men who wear a tux before bedtime have lots more fun after.. :D

bdjam, I know what you mean, LOL. My DH wears a tux cause he thinks he's hot, which he is, and he thinks it helps him get lucky.

See what I mean?

You should do what YOU enjoy, not what someone else thinks you should do

Absolutely – that’s why it’s great that Princess offers the casual alternatives so those who don’t want to partake in formal night have somewhere to go. I would hope that someone wouldn’t do what they wanted if it were contrary to the designation for the evening on ships where casual alternatives were not offered.

Our cruise next month will be the first we've decided not to attend formal nights. We're on vacation and vacation doesnt include suit and tie it include relaxation, shorts and suntan lotion! There are plenty of other places on the Coral to find food.

Dive in head first- to formal night, not the ocean.

That gave me a chuckle, thanks! :D

I find it interesting that the OP was wondering what options someone had if they didn't want to get dressed up on formal nights, yet this thread has turned into yet another "Is formal night fun or not" thread. I'm not trying to pick on anyone or say that we shouldn't have this discussion over and over, I mean, this board is for discussing things related to cruises. I'm just saying I find it interesting that people continue to have such strong feelings about it that they DO continue to discuss it over and over, probably because I don't have strong feelings one way or the other.

That gave me a chuckle, thanks! :D

I find it interesting that the OP was wondering what options someone had if they didn't want to get dressed up on formal nights, yet this thread has turned into yet another "Is formal night fun or not" thread. I'm not trying to pick on anyone or say that we shouldn't have this discussion over and over, I mean, this board is for discussing things related to cruises. I'm just saying I find it interesting that people continue to have such strong feelings about it that they DO continue to discuss it over and over, probably because I don't have strong feelings one way or the other.

I'm sorry that this has been discussed over and over again, but I am a new cruiser and have never experienced formal night before. I was looking forward to this as my entire family was going to be there; we had matching outfits (to some degree) and was going to get a great family picture taken. Now, my husband cannot attend and I'm a little torn about getting dressed up - making the four children dress up - and NOT get our picture taken. I was just wondering if there was anything "special" that I would miss.....I'll do a better search next time.

I've found this interesting since on our upcoming cruise we are considering not packing the formal stuff. It's our 17th cruise and our normal traveling mates (10 really great folks) have been bailing out of the cruise due to personal schedule problems and it looks like it will be just DH and I. Even though I have a closet full of dresses and hubby owns his own tux we are thinking about leaving that stuff at home and just going smart casual. Our biggest problem is the food on formal night we will be missing in the dining room. We did the Horizon one time with the group - don't remember why - and I really missed all the selections of the dining room. Hubby loves the different soups and I love the selection of desserts. :eek: It would be my luck to miss a soufflé. Checking the menu in advance wouldn't work, because if I pack formal we will dress formal. Oh dear, decisions, decisions, decisions.......

My husabnd has before.He hates to take a jacket for 1 night and I like the extra room in suitcase.We have seen men including my hubby go with nice dress pants,shirt and tie.Seen some just with golf shirt and khakis He has never been refused entry and he is never the only 1 in the dining room without the jacket.

Go and enjoy the meal.I could see the fuss if you were trying to go with old jeans and t shirt.

I would rather sit with someone without a jacket than someone with body odor anyday no matter how dressed up they were.

bdjam, I agree. We are not pathetic people who want to play dress up because we have no other opportunities. We have more than our share of opportunity to attend formal events off ship, but still participate in formal nights on the ship. As Cruise Fever said it is part of the whole cruise experience. It is nice that there are alternatives for those who don't want to dress for dinner.

Archived