They took my wine but not my beer....interesting.

AandBmom

We had some beer left over from our pre cruise hotel stay and didn't want to leave it in our car for a week in the freezing temps so we decided to throw it in our checked luggage and see what happened. We also tossed a left over bottle of wine in there too. We didn't think the wine would be a problem, we expected to pay the corkage fee when consuming it in the dining room anyway and I figured we'd just see what happened to the beer cans. They were pretty cheap anyway so no loss. Another couple we were with did the same. Each of our suitcases were searched and the wine was taken each time but the several beer cans were all left in there. I found this surprising. We "rescued" our wine from the staff and paid the corkage fee on board. We consumed the beer on board as well but made sure we bought lots of their beer too :)

I wonder if the person who searched your bag doesn't read English well enough to have been certain that it wasn't cans of soda....

LOL

A co-worker's husband brings a 30 pack of Busch (YUCK!) on every cruise. He had never had it taken away.

Being first-timers, we were too chicken to try!

Because it got through does not mean they were okay with it.

It means they did not catch it.

That's all.

I'm not sure how that's possible it was sitting right beside the wine in the same suitcase. In fact, I'm pretty sure you had to move the beers aside to get to the wine.

Funny story, in St. Maarten my sister went to buy some gingerale from a shop near the port. It was on a shelf with beer that said $6.99 but above it the shelf with soda said $4.99. They charged her $6.99, and when she said but isn't the soda $4.99, the clerk looked at her kind of like she was trying to get one over and said no, that's beer... My sister didn't want to argue and just figured the $7 was cheaper than 6 sodas on board anyway...

But maybe it's correct that they just didn't identify it as beer... I assume the mistake could go both ways, that clerk was sure that because it said "ale" it was beer... Lol

Edited by Copper_beeches

So what are the rules? Beer and or wine. What is allowed?

Technically you can bring as much as wine as you want but you have to pay $15 per bottle up front as a corkage fee. Bringing any other alcohol is prohibited.

As for them mixing up beer, we had several bud light limes and several bud cans. Maybe they were mixed up or just didn't care.