Picture Review of SUNSHINE and Western Caribbean Ports of Call

mpcaruth

I think some ear plugs, easily obtained at Walgreens might be in my bag of necessary things. .

My wife picked up some ear plugs from the dollar store the other day. I think it's like a set of 4? Anyway, $1, I'd bet walgreens gets 2.79 or something crazy. They make a ton of money on these little items. Just a thought!

it would be fun to ride bikes along the Mahahaul.

Thank you so much for your review. We love visiting Majahual (old spelling). Our first trip was before the Cat 5 hurricane in 2007. Back then, the Malecon (or boardwalk) was dirt. After they rebuilt the little village, they put in a concrete Malecon. That is the path you referred to. Csota Maya is one of our favorite ports as you said -- relaxing day of beach, food, and drinks and inexpensive transportation. :D

Thank you so much for your review. We love visiting Majahual (old spelling). Our first trip was before the Cat 5 hurricane in 2007. Back then, the Malecon (or boardwalk) was dirt. After they rebuilt the little village, they put in a concrete Malecon. That is the path you referred to. Csota Maya is one of our favorite ports as you said -- relaxing day of beach, food, and drinks and inexpensive transportation. :D

You're welcome. The Malecon is a very nice amenity and makes the area more unique and inviting than other beach ports.

Mpcaruth, can you tell me how you access the walkway outside? Do you have to go through the lobby or is there a door forward of the cabins? I am most interested in the port side and I know you stayed on the starboard side but was hoping you knew. Thanks so much! Looking at booking these cabins for a group.

Our cruise is March 5, and there',s been no price drop and no 4j openings on Deck 3. Seems like NCL and RCI are having a lot of promotions but not Carnival. But this is the itinerary we want so sticking with it.

Mpcaruth, can you tell me how you access the walkway outside? Do you have to go through the lobby or is there a door forward of the cabins? I am most interested in the port side and I know you stayed on the starboard side but was hoping you knew. Thanks so much! Looking at booking these cabins for a group.

See post #197 where I draw in red the path from our cabin to the deck area outside of our cabin where I put the deck chairs. It is a mirror image for the port side. The deck plan also shows a hallway all the way forward on the port side, but I don't know if it leads to an outside deck access or not. I suspect no, and that it leads to a crew area, but could be wrong.

Thank you for responding. After I posted the question, I did go back and read all 12 pages of the thread and saw where you had answered that question. I should have done that first! But I was so excited to see your description of 4Js...there is very little written about them. I do wonder whether the port side is different though because the deck plan shows an empty spot where there COULD be a door. That really would make it feel like your own balcony if you didn't have to go through the lobby to get to it. Maybe someone who is sailing soon can check on that☺.

And I also should have started my post with a huge THANK YOU for this review. It is absolutely awesome. It really gives an objective view of the ship and answered so many of my questions (like whether you could get a deck chair out on the walkway.) You have a beautiful family.

Thank you for responding. After I posted the question, I did go back and read all 12 pages of the thread and saw where you had answered that question. I should have done that first! But I was so excited to see your description of 4Js...there is very little written about them. I do wonder whether the port side is different though because the deck plan shows an empty spot where there COULD be a door. That really would make it feel like your own balcony if you didn't have to go through the lobby to get to it. Maybe someone who is sailing soon can check on that☺.

And I also should have started my post with a huge THANK YOU for this review. It is absolutely awesome. It really gives an objective view of the ship and answered so many of my questions (like whether you could get a deck chair out on the walkway.) You have a beautiful family.

Thanks! Glad I could help. I agree, if there is a door on the port side, that would be wonderful. Also, keep in mind the port side deck is a smoking area. You may or may not want that.

Having cruised a lot, how would you compare the Carnival Sunshine to the RC-Navigator of the Seas? I still have not yet decided on which cruise to take with my kids in March. Tough decision. The Sunshine is a 5 night Bahamas vs. Navigator 6 night western Caribbean (GC, Falmouth and Labadee). Any advice would be kindly appreciated:)

Having cruised a lot, how would you compare the Carnival Sunshine to the RC-Navigator of the Seas? I still have not yet decided on which cruise to take with my kids in March. Tough decision. The Sunshine is a 5 night Bahamas vs. Navigator 6 night western Caribbean (GC, Falmouth and Labadee). Any advice would be kindly appreciated:)

Carnival Sunshine (5-day) versus Royal Navigator of the Seas (6-day)

Unless there is a huge cost difference, I would go with the Navigator of the Seas. The itinerary of the Navigator is much better to me, and the voyager class ships are lovely. If the ship is most important to you AND you want the best ship for kids, then Sunshine may be a better choice. Here is a break down of how I would make the decision:

Carnival Sunshine

Pros:

·******* Great ship for kids with amazing waterpark/slides, ropes course, outdoor theater, kid-friendly comedy club, outdoor sports complex, mini golf, and Hasbro Game show. Good kids camp program.

·******* Good ship for adults too. We love the typical night time options of 3 choices: Seaside theater, main theater, or comedy club

·******* Lots and lots of complimentary dining choices

·******* Economical quad cabins with lots of space (220 s.f.) in the 4J cabins

Cons:

·******* Short itinerary (5-days)

·******* Ports: Freeport and Nassau – we have fun there, but have been there numerous times.* If interested, my Fascination cruise review from June 2014 explains how we spent the day at the Atlantis water park for FREE!

·******* Smaller ship and more crowded feel on the promenade deck

·******* Main shows in the Theater are just ok.

Navigator of the Seas

Pros:

·******* One day longer cruise with three port days!

·******* Itinerary: Labadee is a nice private “Island” and you don’t need to spend a dime to enjoy the beach.* Grand Cayman: We have done Stingray City before and will be going to the Turtle Farm and 7-mile beach this winter. Falmouth: You will either hate Jamaica or love it.* We are planning to take a private tour from Ocho Rios to the Blue Hole waterfall and then to a small private beach during our next winter cruise. I plan on loving Jamaica!

·******* We have sailed her sister ship, Explorer of the Seas, and she is a BEAUTIFUL ship! (Royal ships feel more “grand” and classier).

·******* Decent ship for kids with ice skating rink, rock wall, Flo-rider (I think), outdoor theater, and mini-golf, promenade parade. Good kids camp also.

·******* LOVE the open promenade concept of the Voyager class ships.

·******* Very good ship for adults: the ice skating show, Captain’s Party on the Promenade, good shows

Cons:

·******* Does not have a dedicated comedy club (again, my whole family really looks forward to the stand-up comedy shows)

·******* Smaller cabins (may have to consider getting 2 adjacent cabins, which would raise the cost even more)

·******* No water park or ropes course

·******* For us, the drive to Ft. Lauderdale for the Navigator is a few more hours than the drive to Port Canaveral for the Sunshine.

·******* Price: the price is typically much more per night on Royal for quad cabins than on Carnival.* (Carnival typically discounts 3rd and 4th passengers way more than Royal, at least during the off season). However, depending on when you plan to cruise, Royal has a special going on now for 3rd and 4th guests at 50% fare for cruises after January 2016; which may help even out the price with Carnival some.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
We were on the starboard side (right) and the exit to the outside deck was just past Guest Service (see red travel path showing cabin door to where we put a deck chair for lounging outside our cabin window). I think, the port side on Deck 3 may be one of the designated smoking areas, but I am not sure. So you may want to confirm before changing your cabins.

4j-3_zpsghizbvkl.jpg

Thanks for a great review. We will be in 3131 in November and were not too sure about the 4J location usually choose the upper decks but they were booked. Now I think that this is a great location based on your review. Thanks for the location to the nearest outside exit door.

Thanks again

pat

murrells inlet, sc

Thanks for a great review. We will be in 3131 in November and were not too sure about the 4J location usually choose the upper decks but they were booked. Now I think that this is a great location based on your review. Thanks for the location to the nearest outside exit door.

Thanks again

pat

murrells inlet, sc

Thanks. Enjoy your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is one of the best reviews I have ever seen. Very candid, yet positive review with loads of pictures. Instead of focusing on the negative aspects of a ship, you learn how to work around them, which is what I like to do. I really like how you have a frugal approach, yet still have fun; I would better describe this approach as "non-wasteful." You also plan very full and fun-packed port days. I would love to learn how you are able to get such great rates on the cruises. Do you look at the rates and watch the sales often?

It looks like you had a wonderful time and you have a lovely family. I haven't been on the Western itinerary in a long time, but after reading your review I am ready to give it another try! :cool:

The Ocean Plaza, located on the Promenade deck, seemed to be the heart of the social nightlife on the ship. There always seemed to be live music (or karaoke) playing before dinner and late in to the night.

P1080609_zpsberopwgf.jpg

Beside the Ocean Plaza is the famous Alchemy Bar, where you can order unique fresh cocktails. Menu: http://www.carnival.com/onboard/bars-lounges/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/Alchemymenupdf.ashx

Please note, the photo below was taken during the morning hours, when the area is used for breakfast seating for the "Taste Bar".

P1080607_zpshwuba3mp.jpg

The JavaBlue Cafe offers specialty coffee, lattes, and shakes. My daughter loved the lattes.

P1080603_zpskh8vpyz7.jpg

P1080605_zpsspvkjcb8.jpg

Nice review you have here :) We are sailing the Sunshine in April, I am curious if you guys have tried a milkshake ?? I here you can even get a spiked milkshake ?? I am a choco- haulic .. lol, and the wife loves the rootbeer floats as we here they have them as well .. correct ??

Well, continuing to read your review ..

This is one of the best reviews I have ever seen. Very candid, yet positive review with loads of pictures. Instead of focusing on the negative aspects of a ship, you learn how to work around them, which is what I like to do. I really like how you have a frugal approach, yet still have fun; I would better describe this approach as "non-wasteful." You also plan very full and fun-packed port days. I would love to learn how you are able to get such great rates on the cruises. Do you look at the rates and watch the sales often?

It looks like you had a wonderful time and you have a lovely family. I haven't been on the Western itinerary in a long time, but after reading your review I am ready to give it another try! :cool:

Thanks, and I love the "non-wasteful" twist. I have had to work very hard for what I have (including paying for my own college education), so I have a hard time wasting money, even if I can afford it.

I truly think the key to good cruise prices is booking EARLY. I typically book 10-12 months in advance, and have only seen the price drop once after booking. Also, I did book a Bermuda cruise about 7 weeks before sailing because Royal offered such a great deal on a guarantee cabin for October. That Bermuda cruise was probably the best cruise deal I have had. But an October cruise was a gamble.

I like the Western Itinerary, especially Roatan. Give it a try!

Nice review you have here :) We are sailing the Sunshine in April, I am curious if you guys have tried a milkshake ?? I here you can even get a spiked milkshake ?? I am a choco- haulic .. lol, and the wife loves the rootbeer floats as we here they have them as well .. correct ??

Well, continuing to read your review ..

Sorry, we didn't try a milkshake, but I recall posts on Cruisecritic raving over the spikes milkshakes. If they don't have root beer floats on the menu, I am sure you could be creative and make your own with a can of root beer and the free softserve ice cream on the Lido deck... or better yet, make one at dinner by ordering real ice cream and a root beer.

Most morning I got up early to walk a few laps on the jogging track. OMG! I love walking on top of the ocean looking out at the endless sea. I crank up my music on my phone and literally raise my hands up in the air. Maroon 5 has been my traditional ship music since 2009. I may look crazy, but I really don't care. After a mile or more of walking, I get my coffee and park it in a lounge to watch the morning news on the big theater screen. I do all of this while the family is still sleeping. (This reminds me of when we took our Dream cruise, and the morning news was dominated by images of the Costa Concordia sinking - NOT what I wanted to sea while in the middle of the sea!)

I love your morning routine! I am going to have to try this! I love your pictures of the locals and their homes. I too am fascinated by the way they live.