Magic to port canaveral

kybluecruiser

Most of those other ports stops in Charleston were just that, a one off port stop, or at most, a seasonal series of cruises. Carnival is the first line to park a ship there as a home port, year round. The year round homeport is what they are howling about, I think. Carnival just happens to be the cruiseline that did it.

Although not year round, both Norwegian Majesty and Celebrity Galaxy were homeported in Charleston for years, one with weekly departures and the other doing a 10/11 night rotation during the regular Caribbean season, so it was more than just a handful of cruises.

Reading some of the interviews and articles from the conservationists, it's easy to see their true colors. More than once they mentioned concern for the type of people that Carnival would attract to Charleston and for the increased crime as a result of that. Straight out of their own mouths. They cant say flat out that that's the main reason for their boycott without sounding like pompous elitists, but I have a feeling that they are more concerned about the Carnival clientele than of any actual damage to the preservation of the city.

Edited by Tapi

An prejudice against Carnival's clientele doesn't sound like conservationist concerns to me. Then again, maybe it does.

Somewhere else I would agree with you. But this specific group of conservationists is also a very affluent, elitist and upper class bunch who may not want 2-3,000 budget minded cruise passengers dumped off a few feet from their front doors every week. JMHO

Edited by Tapi

If Carnival puts a larger ship there, it will only incite another round of lawsuits, nevermind that they are probably just the nuisance variety. That might be enough for Carnival to just pull out in frustration. Also, from what I gather, the current terminal facilities are substandard, and a larger ship would probably only exaggerate any shortcomings that they are dealing with now. I would be surprised if Charleston gets anything other than another Fantasy class until things calm down and a new terminal is in place.

They are just a small group of people. 98% percent of people want a cruise ship there. If Carnival decided to bring a larger ship to Charleston I think the terminal will get upgrades. It is frustrating for Carnival to deal with silly lawsuits bur revenue is their top priority!

Somewhere else I would agree with you. But this specific group of conservationists is also a very affluent, elitist and upper class bunch who may not want 2-3,000 budget minded cruise passengers dumped off a few feet from their front doors every week. JMHO

OK. :rolleyes: Very small minded. As if cruisers of other lines have no care for a budget. I wanted to know what the Charleston problem was. Now I know. Now back to the Magic in PC.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

I am from south Carolina and everyone wants the cruise port and carnival to expand.🚢😎 The only folks who object are the historical society and 2 lawyers who's wives belong to the historical society.:rolleyes: I would not call them a sleeping bear rather a yapping toy poodle. Irritating but not threatening.