Carnival Fantasy Cruise Suprise

psudab23

So here is my problem (if you can call it a problem). I am looking to surprise my wife and son with a cruise this coming summer. I purchased and paid for a 7 day carnival fantasy cruise for August 2015. We all are veteran cruisers so passports and paperwork will not be the problem. I have already covered myself taking time off of work, and my wife is a teacher so I don't have to worry about scheduling around her work schedule. We live within driving distance of the departure port so air fair is not a problem. I need to figure out the perfect time to reveal the surprise. If we fast forward to August 2015, my son is at scout camp for a week, then there is a week between camp and the cruise. How much time would you want to have to prepare to cruise? Or should I try (and I would like to stress that I know I would screw something up) to pack for everyone and let them figure it out when we pull into the port? Or are there any crazy/fun ways to reveal a surprise cruise?? Thanks in advance for any help.

I think I would not try to pack for them. I don't know their personalities, but for myself, I would be crazy not knowing what I had in my suitcase. That being said, I would tell them soon enough to give them time to pack. So if they normally pack the night before, tell them then. :D If you're going to wait last minute, just make sure all the dry cleaning is done, house is clean etc so as not to stress the little wifey. Wow! I'm excited for you, that is going to be awesome fun!

So here is my problem (if you can call it a problem). I am looking to surprise my wife and son with a cruise this coming summer. I purchased and paid for a 7 day carnival fantasy cruise for August 2015. We all are veteran cruisers so passports and paperwork will not be the problem. I have already covered myself taking time off of work, and my wife is a teacher so I don't have to worry about scheduling around her work schedule. We live within driving distance of the departure port so air fair is not a problem. I need to figure out the perfect time to reveal the surprise. If we fast forward to August 2015, my son is at scout camp for a week, then there is a week between camp and the cruise. How much time would you want to have to prepare to cruise? Or should I try (and I would like to stress that I know I would screw something up) to pack for everyone and let them figure it out when we pull into the port? Or are there any crazy/fun ways to reveal a surprise cruise?? Thanks in advance for any help.

I would tell them you are going to the beach for a week. That way they can pack swim wear and shorts. I would also tell them you made a reservation for a nice resturant for the family so they will bring a nice outfit for formal night. Tell them on your way down you are going to spend the first night in charleston and tour the beautiful historical city. Then when you get there and pull up to the cruise terminal your surpise works out. I would stress that you do not forget the passport/birhcertificates. I would put them in your suitcase when you pack so no one will know.

I would tell them you are going to the beach for a week. That way they can pack swim wear and shorts. I would also tell them you made a reservation for a nice resturant for the family so they will bring a nice outfit for formal night. Tell them on your way down you are going to spend the first night in charleston and tour the beautiful historical city. Then when you get there and pull up to the cruise terminal your surpise works out. I would stress that you do not forget the passport/birhcertificates. I would put them in your suitcase when you pack so no one will know.

The ruse may work well, and I sincerely & truly hope it will, but remember August is the start of peak hurricane season here so prepare for the question of "we're going to a beach when there is a hurricane coming?" Always have a plan B. Perhaps cruise insurance eh? :rolleyes:

I would never want someone to pack for me. And I always like to buy 1 or 2 new outfits for vacation. And for me, anticipation is part of the fun. I would want to be told about 2 weeks in advance. As for how to reveal, I surprised my daughter with a trip to Jamaica one year. I wrapped up a new beach towel, sunscreen, and a photo album which had a print out of our itinerary in it. I'll never forget how excited she was when she realized that the photo album was not the real gift.

I am so excited for you :)!. I would wait a day or 2 prior to tell them,it still would be a wonderful surprise! I sailed the same time last year, same ship no hurricanes! Travel Insurance is a good backup plan, just-in case. Good Luck and have fun!

No packing for the wife, I would not want my DH or anyone to pack for a vaca for me! Give her at least a week ahead to know, we women like a little control over the details coming our way and planning (even if last minute) is half the fun.

I think we will be on same cruisel, the week before school starts here in NC, driving to port as well :D....

Good Luck!!!

Edited by Drazil65

I asked my DW last night how she would want it to be handled and she said definitely a little notice. I suggested saying, " hey honey, we are going on a cruise in 2 days, go shopping and get a new outfit!" She said that would be a wonderful way to find out. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did something this on our last cruise, except it was my wife and I surprising our kids, so that made it a lot easier than trying to surprise my wife.

I agree the anticipation is half the fun. What we did was at Hanukah (November that year) tell them that we had a big gift but for XYZ reason we could not get it for the first night and that it would be here next week. So after a week of begging us to tell them what it was, we got them together and told that for ABC reason we still did not have it, should have it next week. We did this for hte 4 weeks between Hanukah and the day before we left for Florida when we finally told them we had to go to the big gift since we could not get it to us, but we didn;t tell them where we were going. So at this point, they knew we going on vacation, but it could be a ski vacation, cruise, beach vacation, or just a weekend in a nearby city doing museums. They had no idea what we had planned. Meanwhile, my wife was packing suitcases in our closet so the kids would not see that we were packing for a vacation.

So the next morning, we left and drove all day and stopped for the night and gave them clues that told them we were going to Florida, so they thought that was the big surprise. The next day we drove to Miami, spent the night at a local hotel and that moring drove to the pier, claimimg Dad liked to see the cruise ships. It was not until we parked at the car that they figured it out.

It was fun, let them anticipate something big without telling them it was a cruise. But, like I said it was my wife and I trying to surprise the 3 kids.

Eric813

Potential Future Cruises – 1-2?

17?. Carnival Vista (CCL) – December 24-31, 2016 (Western Caribbean. Miami, FL) [May do]

16. Carnival Vista (CCL) – December 17-24, 2016 (Eastern Caribbean. Miami, FL)

Past Cruises – 15

15. Carnival Victory (CCL) – December 23-28, 2013 (Bahamas. Miami, FL)

14. Westerdam (HAL) – August 3-10, 2013 (Alaska, Seattle, WA)

13. Voyager of the Seas (RCI) – March 31 – April 7, 2012 (Western Caribbean, New Orleans, LA)

12. Disney Wonder (Disney) – February 6-13, 2011 (Mexican Rivera, Los Angeles, CA)

11. Pride of America (NCL) - November 7-14, 2009 (Hawaiian Islands, Honolulu, HI)

10. Carnival Pride (CCL) - June 6-13, 2009 (Bahamas / Caribbean, Baltimore, MD)

9. Holiday (CCL) - March 3-8, 2007 (Western Caribbean, Mobile, AL)

8. Jewel (NCL) - July 2-9, 2006 (Western Mediterranean, Barcelona, ESP)

7. Explorer of the Seas (RCI) - November 6-13, 2005 (Western Caribbean, Miami, FL)

6. Imagination (CCL) - June 12-17, 2000 (Western Caribbean, Miami, FL)

5. Inspiration (CCL) - July 14-21, 1996 (Southern Caribbean, San Juan, PR)

Scandanvian ???? – December 27, 1989 (Bahamas, Fort Lauderdale, FL ??)

4. Britanis (Chandris) - December 1985 (Western Caribbean, Montego Bay, JAM)

3. Rhapsody (Paquet) - December 1983 (Western Caribbean, Miami, FL)

2. Festival (CCL) - December 18-25, 1982 (Eastern Caribbean, Miami, FL)

1. Norway (NCL) - December 1980 (Eastern Caribbean, Miami, FL)

My husband and I surprised our kids a few years ago. We told them we were going to Galveston to spend a long weekend on the beach. They were 6 and 9 at the time. When we got to Galveston, they noticed we were following the signs to the cruise terminal, so we just told them I wanted to go see the ship that was in port. When we finally got right beside the ship, we told them that it would be our hotel for the weekend. Their response??? They got upset because we lied to them!!! :eek::D:eek::D I have a video of it somewhere. It is sooo funny.

Good luck with however you plan to do it! And let us know how it turns out!!!

A few years ago I surprised my DW with a birthday cruise. For weeks ahead I made notes of things that she wore. I then ironed whatever needed to be ironed and then packed everything. I made a video of friends wishing her a happy birthday that I played for her on the ship.

I had originally planned to tell her the morning we were to go to the airport but instead told her the night before. I placed decorations in the house along with a note explaining what was going on for her to find when she walked in. I thought it only fair to give a LITTLE advance notice to her

She was THRILLED and Ive repeated a surprise birthday trip to Disney. Major hubby points were gained each time!