Magic Dining

CountryCruiser

I need some opinions and I know there are plenty on this site. We have a group of around 14 people cruising together. We are trying to figure out the seating situation of traditional dining. We like sitting together, but with that large of a group, we worry about how long the dining experience will be each night. Will it take longer with more people at the table than if we were split into smaller tables? We have the early dining time and this is my first experience with traditional dining. If it doesn't increase the time very much, we would like to do that and if so, how do we work to arrange sitting together. What is the biggest group that can sit together? If we have to split, how is the best way to get our tables near each other. It won't ruin the cruise even if I have to sit at a table by myself, but I am just trying to figure out how to make it the best.

I need some opinions and I know there are plenty on this site. We have a group of around 14 people cruising together. We are trying to figure out the seating situation of traditional dining. We like sitting together, but with that large of a group, we worry about how long the dining experience will be each night. Will it take longer with more people at the table than if we were split into smaller tables? We have the early dining time and this is my first experience with traditional dining. If it doesn't increase the time very much, we would like to do that and if so, how do we work to arrange sitting together. What is the biggest group that can sit together? If we have to split, how is the best way to get our tables near each other. It won't ruin the cruise even if I have to sit at a table by myself, but I am just trying to figure out how to make it the best.

I would recommend traditional dining and don't think the time matters. If the reservations are linked, they will likely try to keep the tables together. The max size of table varries from ship to ship but 7 and 7 would be very doable. Worst case, you have 2 tables of 7, that might be a ways apart and you can rotate each night. You could also consult with Maitre D when you get on board to see where they are and if you can get them side by side.

ATD would be a nightmare IMHO. Even a table for 5 has been a challenge for us; we only do it if traveling with 4 or less.

typically the largest group they can accommodate is 12 and even those are somewhat limited, so a table for 14 probably will not be an option. they will most likely split you into 2 tables, of 8 and 6 which are near each other. make sure your bookings are all linked so that you're all seated together, and hopefully close to each other. i'd check your table assignments that first day when the dining room is open for requests of the maitre d, and if your location / table arrangement is not to your liking you can ask if it can be changed.

My last cruise, it was on the Breeze in November, there was a group of about 50 people all sitting together - all from the same roll call. They had put long tables and round tables together and had 2 rows of them on the main level, in the back of the center section.. There were several wait staff serving them, just like if they had all been at separate tables. I would think it would be as easy as emailing the Maitre' D then following up once onboard. I think the MDR always tries their hardest to accommodate.

My last cruise, it was on the Breeze in November, there was a group of about 50 people all sitting together - all from the same roll call. They had put long tables and round tables together and had 2 rows of them on the main level, in the back of the center section.. There were several wait staff serving them, just like if they had all been at separate tables. I would think it would be as easy as emailing the Maitre' D then following up once onboard. I think the MDR always tries their hardest to accommodate.

That's cool...hope it didn't slow down everyone else's service trying to get everyone's food out at the same time!

That's cool...hope it didn't slow down everyone else's service trying to get everyone's food out at the same time!

I don't think that was an issue. There were several wait staff - it looked like they got their food just as timely as the rest of us did. 50 people is 50 people whether they are all sitting in a row or at a round table. They whooped and hollered and had a blast and 2 little ladies at our table went on and on about how rude that was and I just giggled and said it was great seeing a group of people enjoying their vacation...the little ladies then got all into it and didn't complain again :)

We have 13 going on the Magic in 9 days. I emailed the Matre'd and he said he can try to accommodate but the biggest table seats 12.

I would tell him we would squish in another chair or they have tables for 2, one of which is by the kitchen door, maybe he would be willing to move that one and link it up with the table for 12??? I think just making sure he understands you are going to be happy with anything he will do, he will try....

How do you get the email address for the Matre'd?

ship's initials + maitred@carnival.com so, for example, if you are going on the Triumph it would be: timaitred@carnival.com this is an old list, I see it doesn't have the Breeze or Magic on it but it at least gives you an idea....

CQ Conquest

DE Destiny

DR Dream

EC Ecstacy

FA Fantasy

FS Fascination

FD Freedom

GL Glory

HO Holiday

IM Imagination

IS Inspiration

LE Legend