New to NCL Suite Questions

texanaust

We have booked an Owners suite with double balcony on the Star and had a few questions regarding food service and the butler. We all have the UDP and wanted to know if we can order from the specialty restaurants for room service? If we can, do we need to make prior reservations as if we were eating at that venue?

Also, will the butler serve course by course or just deliver the whole order at once? We plan to eat out most nights, but there are very few reservation times left at the restaurants we would like to eat at (even though the cruise is still 65 days away...) Since 6pm is too early for us and 9:30 too late, can the concierge get us better times when we get on board? Thanks in advance!

Online available times vs what you can get once you board are two different things. Since you are in a suite, the Concierge should have pretty good luck getting you a slot once you board.

Keep in mind the butler has many other suites to deal with, and the restaurant might be a long ways away.

If you know the time you want to eat and which restaurant you want to go to once onboard just give a list to your concierge. Your concierge will do the best to accommodate you for your time. We have never had a problem with our time choice and usually wait until last minute to decide where & when to eat. You will love the "suite life" and being spoiled. Have a great cruise.

I've read on other suite perks threads that the butler will bring your entire order at the same time. Since he or she has many other suites he or she is responsible for, can't be tied up in one cabin for more than an hour serving each course.

Ordering room service from the specialty restaurants is a great suite perk. Just call your butler. You are charged the surcharge UNLESS you have the ultimate dining package. Your food does arrive all at once and does have to travel a long way from the galley, so it might not be piping hot. But it's nice to have a great meal in the privacy of your cabin (in bare feet if you feel like it, which I do [emoji1]).

Ordering room service from the specialty restaurants is a great suite perk. Just call your butler. You are charged the surcharge UNLESS you have the ultimate dining package. Your food does arrive all at once and does have to travel a long way from the galley, so it might not be piping hot. But it's nice to have a great meal in the privacy of your cabin (in bare feet if you feel like it, which I do [emoji1]).

While the butler gets all your courses at once from the restaurant, her/she will store it in a nearby butler pantry in a warming oven and serve it course by course if that is what you request.

You just have to ask and they will accommodate you if at all possible.

You are not tying up the butler for your entire meal served in your room. Once they serve each course, they will attend to other rooms/duties until it is time for the next course to be served.

While the butler gets all your courses at once from the restaurant, her/she will store it in a nearby butler pantry in a warming oven and serve it course by course if that is what you request.

You just have to ask and they will accommodate you if at all possible.

You are not tying up the butler for your entire meal served in your room. Once they serve each course, they will attend to other rooms/duties until it is time for the next course to be served.

This has not been our experience nor our friends in a Garden Villa. No course by course service for anyone. Your entire meal is delivered and left in your room. How would they know when each course was done and go get the next one? They have 8-10 suites apiece and even two at once would jam them up. Place your order, receive it in your suite and serve your self. Have tried to do it in a Penthouse, multiple DoS and one GV, never happened.

This has not been our experience nor our friends in a Garden Villa. No course by course service for anyone. Your entire meal is delivered and left in your room. How would they know when each course was done and go get the next one? They have 8-10 suites apiece and even two at once would jam them up. Place your order, receive it in your suite and serve your self. Have tried to do it in a Penthouse, multiple DoS and one GV, never happened.

I have stayed in Garden Villas, Deluxe Owners Suites, Owners Suites and Haven Suites numerous times. I have never been refused having the meal served course by course. Each time the remaining coursers were held in the nearby butler pantries and kept warm. The butlers alert us when they expect to return to serve the next course (e.g. be back in 20 minutes) and if we are still not done with a course they come back again later.

Sorry to hear your experience is not the same. Frankly if I had a butler that refused to serve course by course on a consistent basis, I would take this matter up with the Concierge (the butler reports to the Concierge) or the Hotel Director and ask for the situation to be corrected or request another Butler.

Thank you for the replies. I would think course by course would be doable too, so I shall ask. In regards to the specialty restaurants, do you need to have a reservation to order room service from them?

As I understand, the Star does not have a lounge for suite guests. If there is no lounge, where is the concierge located? Is he/she at the front desk or available by phone? Also, does the Star have reserved suite seating for the shows and where are these seats? Thanks!

As I understand, the Star does not have a lounge for suite guests. If there is no lounge, where is the concierge located? Is he/she at the front desk or available by phone?

He is always at the other end of the phone. He will give you his card when you check in, and his number will be on a letter in your suite. In fact, on the Star, his number is 7070. Call him to discuss your arrangements. If you prefer to discuss in person, simply set up a time and place to meet him... perhaps in your suite, or elsewhere on the ship.

Don't stress on the dining arrangements too much. You are in an owner's suite. The concierge will make it happen.

Edited by triptolemus

No reservations , just call your butler tell him what you want and from where, he'll bring all the food take your key card back to the restaurant and you'll sign for it. Just let him know when you will be finished so he can clean up and your not stuck with the plates till the am. You should have menus to all the restaurants in your suite.

I say that because we eat late and he gets off at 9:30pm. There was a night butler on our cruise but we didn't use her except when we couldn't (to full) for desert and had it sent up and she brought it. We tipped her on the spot, our butler we tipped the last night.

Edited by Leavethekidswithmom

I have stayed in Garden Villas, Deluxe Owners Suites, Owners Suites and Haven Suites numerous times. I have never been refused having the meal served course by course. Each time the remaining coursers were held in the nearby butler pantries and kept warm. The butlers alert us when they expect to return to serve the next course (e.g. be back in 20 minutes) and if we are still not done with a course they come back again later.

Sorry to hear your experience is not the same. Frankly if I had a butler that refused to serve course by course on a consistent basis, I would take this matter up with the Concierge (the butler reports to the Concierge) or the Hotel Director and ask for the situation to be corrected or request another Butler.

Wow.

Thank you for the replies.

As I understand, the Star does not have a lounge for suite guests. If there is no lounge, where is the concierge located? Is he/she at the front desk or available by phone? Also, does the Star have reserved suite seating for the shows and where are these seats? Thanks!

On the Dawn (sister ship to Star) the Concierge is stationed outside Cagney's & Star Bar during meals. Star Bar is a quasi Suite Lounge. If you want to speak with the Concierge directly, you can find them there during meal time.

Reserved show seating on Dawn for suite guests is the left balcony (facing stage). We prefer general seating below because in many balcony seats you have to cock your head to the left for the whole show, and the glass railing can also obstruct your view.