Possible Excursions

tapia

Good morning! I'm going on a princess cruise in Feb that stops in Barbados and I was wondering if anyone went on either of these excurions. Is the one to the cave the best cave one to see? I'm open to suggestions if you think I'm missing something exciting. I'm more interested in 1/2 day....

Thank you!

4wd Safari & Monkey Encounter appx 3.5 hours; $69

Travel by 4WD vehicle to Barbados’ northern parish and visit a wildlife reserve where the animals roam free.

Board your assigned, open-top 4WD vehicle and drive through undulating hills, passing fields of sugar cane and small villages en route to the Scotland District on the east coast. Drive north to the Wildlife Reserve, founded as a sanctuary for African green monkeys. The reserve is now home to other animals, including deer, tortoises, and hares. The animals roam free inside the reserve. Enjoy ample time to walk the paths and observe the animals in their natural habitat before the scenic drive back to the ship.

SPECIAL NOTES

Your arrival is timed to maximize your chance of seeing the various animals. Wildlife sightings are not guaranteed. Some of the reserve’s paths have a slight incline and may be uneven in places. The minimum age required to participate is 5 years old.

Tropical Forest Hike & Cave Exploration appx 4 hours; $79

Hike through Barbados’ tropical forest and then descend into a natural cave on a spelunking expedition.

Board your transportation for the approximately 30-minute drive to your starting point, where you meet your experienced local guide and receive an orientation and safety briefing. Your hike travels through a lush tropical gully filled with towering trees, hanging vines, rare palms and unusual rock formations. After about 45 minutes, make the steep descent into the “funnel,” the well concealed entrance to an underground cave. Hold on to a rope as you slowly descend to the cave’s floor. Pause at the entrance to examine the interesting geological formations before proceeding into the depths, where you view natural rock sculptures and underground pools of crystal-clear water. Be advised that you are required at times to walk through water that may be waist deep. You also encounter typical cave dwellers including bats and insects. After your cavern exploration, return to the surface for the short hike back to the transportation. Enjoy some well-deserved refreshments before returning to the ship.

SPECIAL NOTES

This most active excursion is suitable only for passengers in very good physical condition. Hard hats with headlamps and water are provided, as well as refreshments after the tour. Wear light, practical clothing; and sturdy walking shoes or hiking boots with good traction are required - you will get wet and muddy.

Please see the thread on Silver Moon catamarans. It was by far the best excursion we have ever taken on 15 cruises. You will be treated like royalty. We were on this last Nov. on the Golden. I'm jealous, I'd love to go back. Have a great time.

Archived