New to Cruising

Hi all,

Myself and hubby will be taking our first big cruise on March 1st on the Thomson Celebration for a birthday treat (we did a Nile cruise, another birthday treat, a few years ago - does that count?)

I'm sure we'll pack too much - it seems a habit of mine :-)

I was just hoping for some advise from fellow cruisers, and more specifically, fellow celebration cruisers. We have booked a cabin on deck 3 (inside).

Any advise/information would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks in advance

To reduce luggage weight I have a couple of pairs of smart trousers which I team up with mix and match light, floaty tops to ring the changes for evening. Take a light wrap for the evenings. Sometimes the air con can be a bit fierce.

Main advice would be to research your destinations and get an idea of what you most want to do in each port to make the most of your time. The excursion guide will give you an idea of what's around to do/worth seeing, websites with port info (try the destinations one on here for example), Google pictures of a place to get an idea if it's attractive and worth exploring, Google Earth is a good resource too - and of course seek advice from folk on here who will be able to tell you what they've enjoyed doing at each port of call. Chatting to fellow passengers can be really helpful too. But you don't have to do excursions - many places can be done independently too. Once you have an idea of what would most appeal to you then check out how practical it is to DiY. Lots of help on here with that - just ask. But you can download maps of towns, bus timetables - all kinds of info to help prepare.

We enjoy planning although we never adopt a rigid approach - if someone on board gives us a good tip we'll happily change our plans but unless you just want to take it as it comes, I'd say the research is all part of the excitement and fun of going away. Enjoy! :)

P. S. There's a great thread on here on '5 things you wish you'd known on your first cruise' or something like that. It's a good read although we do digress a bit from time to time but there are loads of really great ideas on there. I'll see if I can find it and post the link - you might find it useful.

Found it!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1171965&highlight=5+things+first+cruise

Edited by kruzseeka

Thanks for the tips guys - the additional thread is really helpful, didn't really realise there was so much to consider!

I was also hoping for some feedback/advise from anyone that has been on the Celebration - i've looked on the roll call forum, but can't seem to see the celebration with the dates we've booked

Thanks again

Am getting a tad excited now....flying tomorrow on our first cruise :-) have looked at all the threads on here and got some great advice, thanks guys.

We haven't purchased the drinks package and not sure if we've done the right thing....does anyone have any advice on that please?

Cheers

the wine package might be worth it if you like nice wine it is usually a mix but you can insist on white or red they will ask you and have a table set out on check in. Don't think the full all inc would be worth it unless you are heavy drinkers as it is more expensive to buy it on board.

Have a great time and let us know how you get, on we are Celebration in Sep and Dream in 70 days and counting, think we are missing the Caribbean this year but have been the last six years.

Don't forget you can buy spirits extra on board at really low prices and they let you drink on board but not in the lounges.

Roger:D

Agree with the last comments re drinks package.

Not sure on your itinerary but the cheapest ports for duty free are St Maarten and St Kitts.

If you are DIY (local buses etc) for trips out make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get back, we usually aim to get back about 1.5 to 1 hr before sailing.

There will be plenty of taxi mini buses waiting at port, they normally do some kind of Island tour for 2-3 hrs when they have enough people and usually charge $20-25, you can sometime barter with them. They are a lot cheaper than the Thomson trips, and generally better fun.

If you do Tortola the open side bus tours are a must, some fantastic views.

I believe Richard Grey has just gone on as Cruise Director, you have one of the best there, a really nice man.

Enjoy the Cruise and please report back your findings when you return.