luggage locker in portsmouth

redhydra

Hello

i will disembark at Southampton and go for the day in Portsmouth to visit hms victory before goeing to London, i plan to use the train, do you know if there is a luggage facility either at the train station or on walking distance?

otherwize il just go with plan B, rent a small estate car and use it as a glorified luggage locker and head toward London with it

thanks in advance

As far as I can see, the only left luggage place in portsmouth is at the ferry port:

Left luggage: £4 per item, open 0600-2330 at the Security desk in the terminal building. There is no overnight facility. Electronic equipment can be stored and a security tag will be placed on the item(s) prior to passenger leaving them. - See more at: http://www.portsmouth-port.co.uk/ferry_passengers/port_facilities#sthash.s7Sa65n1.dpuf

This is not within walking distance of either the station or the Historic Dockyard.

If plan B involves driving in London - I would think twice.

As Twickenham's post, the only left-luggage facilities I know of in Portsmouth are at the International Port (that's the cross-channel port, not to be confused with the Isle of Wight & cross-harbour ferries).

If that's your plan, from Southampton instead of the train take the Nat Express coach, which calls at Portsmouth International Port. Fare about £4. Stow your bags there, then it's a 2 mile taxi ride to the Historic Dockyard.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

Book from Southampton coach station, not Cruise terminal - that option only for Fred Olsen cruises).

From the dockyard (loads of taxis at the travel interchange), taxi back to the International Port to collect your bags & carry on to Portsmouth station for the train to London.

Unless it's a sunday, consider pre-booking your Portsmouth to London train ticket at

http://uk.megabus.com/megatrain.aspx

This is a bucket-price travel ticket agency run by travel operators (including South West Trains, which operate that route) to boost ticket sales on off-peak services. You must choose a specified train time from a limited number, but you'll find one or two that fit your travel plans.

Fare from just £1.

Just a thought. Ask on TripAdvisor if there's a pub or similar near the Historic Dockyard which looks after luggage.

JB :)

If you do decide to hire a car and drive to portsmouth, I suggest that you use the new Park and Ride facility. http://parkandride.portsmouth.gov.uk/ The bus will drop you near the Dockyard.

Portsea Island is crowded and busy. On a Saturday the roads are packed with people shopping, catching ferries and cruises. Parking in the City is expensive.

Thanks for the advice, il think about it, if i rent a car, i do not intend to drive directly to london but drop it in gatwick and take the train, i used to drop my cars in heathrow when my friend used to live in middlesex but since she moved in closer to central london

My visit in porthmouth will be on a wednesday

• 2 years later...

This is quite an old thread, I believe it's now possible to stash luggage in a shop opposite the bus station at Portsmouth Harbour (aka The Hard or the Travel Interchange).

Very very convenient for the Nat Express bus (the Travel Interchange is just plain "Portsmouth" on the Nat Express website) or for the train (Portsmouth Harbour station) and for the Historic Dockyard, Gunwharf Quays, Spinnaker Tower etc.

My information is second-hand, so no promises. Worth digging deeper.

JB :)