3 Crew dead on Monarch of the Seas

Brief newsflash from KFWB:

Three Die in Gas Leak on Cruise Ship in LA Harbor

LOS ANGELES (AP) 9.02.05, 10:30a -- Three crew members were killed by an apparent methane gas leak aboard a cruise ship in the Port of Los Angeles on Friday, a fire spokeswoman said.

There were three fatalities and seven other people injured, Fire Department spokeswoman Melissa Kelley said.

No passengers were involved, she said.

Apparent gas leak on cruise ship kills three crew members, fire department says

Friday September 02, 2005

LOS ANGELES (AP) An apparent gas leak on a cruise ship killed three crew members Friday, a fire department spokeswoman said.

Seven other people were injured, including two ship doctors who were trying to help the others, fire spokeswoman Melissa Kelley said. Passengers were on board the ship, but were not affected by the leak.

The Royal Caribbean's Monarch of the Seas was docked in the Port of Los Angeles when the methane leak occurred.

Raw sewage was the apparent source of the leak, Kelley said.

And if we go, there will be 2 more on my countdown clock. I just spent 1/2 an hour on hold with RCI and the agent knew nothing about the incident. Fortunately we live near the port so I can probably drive by and tell what's happening, but those poor people. If we do sail, it won't be very festive.

Three Die in Gas Leak on Cruise Ship

By Associated Press La Times

LOS ANGELES -- An apparent gas leak on a cruise ship killed three crew members Friday, a fire department spokeswoman said.

Seven other people were injured, including two ship doctors who were trying to help the others, fire spokeswoman Melissa Kelley said. Passengers were on board the ship but not affected by the leak.

Two of the injured were taken to hospitals.

The Royal Caribbean's Monarch of the Seas is based in Los Angeles harbor and was docked when the methane leak occurred. The ship usually cruises to Baja California, according to the cruise line's Web site.

Registered in the Bahamas, the ship can carry up to 2,744 passengers and 856 crew.

Raw sewage was the apparent source of the leak, Kelley said.

So far, I still don't understand what killed the three crew members? As far as I know (and that's not much), contact with feces or methane gas doesn't kill you - at least not instantly. So, was there an explosion? Was there insufficient oxygen? Something I'm not thinking of?

My hubby and I just changed from the Sun Princess to the Star Princess for exactly those reasons. Well not a methane leak but there has been incidents of sewage smells on different parts of the ship. I phoned princess and of course they said they would have fixed a problem like. Ya right ! The smell has been on more than one sailing and the Sun also has had many norwalk incidents. Wonder if there is a link to the sewage smell or is the ship not very clean. Anyway we weren't taking any chances. Now with this happening I am glad i switched to the Star.

Vanessa & Rick

So far, I still don't understand what killed the three crew members? As far as I know (and that's not much), contact with feces or methane gas doesn't kill you - at least not instantly. So, was there an explosion? Was there insufficient oxygen? Something I'm not thinking of?

It can kill!

Just about any gas in the appropriate combination can be lethal. It can also displace oxygen in a confined space, leading to similar problems. Lower levels of ships can have the same characterisitics of a typical confined space.

Archived