Itinerary question Getaway vs. Escape

Luvnlyfagain

We are comparing two NCL cruises for next year and want to book tomorrow to get in on the 3-4th sail free promotion but I am looking for some input on an itinerary. We are trying to decide between the Getaway and the Escape next February. The Getaway is a Western itinerary that we are familiar with and have done before. The Escape is Eastern, including St. Thomas, British Tortola and Nassau. I have been to St. Thomas before and love it. My question is since there are only 3 port days on this itinerary, what should I know about British Tortola and Nassau before deciding? Some reviews of British Tortola are not very impressive. :(

Any input would be greatly appreciated!:) Thanks!

We are comparing two NCL cruises for next year and want to book tomorrow to get in on the 3-4th sail free promotion but I am looking for some input on an itinerary. We are trying to decide between the Getaway and the Escape next February. The Getaway is a Western itinerary that we are familiar with and have done before. The Escape is Eastern, including St. Thomas, British Tortola and Nassau. I have been to St. Thomas before and love it. My question is since there are only 3 port days on this itinerary, what should I know about British Tortola and Nassau before deciding? Some reviews of British Tortola are not very impressive. :(

We did the Eastern itinerary on the Getaway last August. Only difference then vs. the Escape, is we went to St. Maarten instead of Tortola. We actually just booked the Escape for the 2015 Thanksgiving cruise for my three kids ages 13-17 and I. In Nassau, we did the Discovery Cove Dolphin Swim and absolutely loved it. We still had time to go the Straw Market to by gifts to bring home. We are looking to do the Treetop Ziplining Adventure in Tortola when we go there in November. We know many others who have done the Virgin Gorda Baths excursion as well and loved it. Hope that helps.

We booked the Escape even though we like the itinerary of the Getaway better. We'll just probably stay on the ship during the Nassau stop (been there too many times.)

But we are really excited about Tortola. In Tortola, a lot of cruisers here on CC recommended the The Baths.

Check out this thread as well.

The gorgeous beaches of the BVI by blue water.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1877491

Edited by aquarianne11

I used to live on St. Thomas & I booked the Escape because of the Tortola port.

Cane Garden Bay on Tortola is one of the most beautiful beaches anywhere. The Baths at Virgin Gorda are wonderful.

The excursions for the Escape are not posted yet, except for Nassau, but you should be able to do either one of the above trips either with the ship or independently. There are also great snorkeling & diving excursions offered to some of the smaller islands & even some wreck diving. Jost Van Dyke is also a lovely island to visit.

Also I'm a realist & realize the itinerary may not be set in stone yet. It would not surprise me to see Cuba replace Nassau on some of the itineraries at some point.how soon who knows?

Tortola is probably the best of the three stops on that itinerary, if you know what to do at Tortola.

If you've never been, you MUST visit the Baths at Virgin Gorda... It is a must see. Take the ship's excursion as this is pretty much a full day trip. If you've never heard of The Baths on Virgin Gorda... google it... it's amazing.

For those that have been to the baths before, I suggest taking a taxi out to Cane Garden Bay (nice beach there!) and spending the day at the beach and visiting the 300 year old Callwood Distillery right across the street from the beach. At Callwood they make the fabulous Arundel Rum and you can get some free samples at the distillery. Buy a bottle or two of the 10 year old aged rum, you will love it... so smooth!

We did the Eastern itinerary on the Getaway last August. Only difference then vs. the Escape, is we went to St. Maarten instead of Tortola. We actually just booked the Escape for the 2015 Thanksgiving cruise for my three kids ages 13-17 and I. In Nassau, we did the Discovery Cove Dolphin Swim and absolutely loved it. We still had time to go the Straw Market to by gifts to bring home. We are looking to do the Treetop Ziplining Adventure in Tortola when we go there in November. We know many others who have done the Virgin Gorda Baths excursion as well and loved it. Hope that helps.

Thank you for the information.

Tortola is probably the best of the three stops on that itinerary, if you know what to do at Tortola.

If you've never been, you MUST visit the Baths at Virgin Gorda... It is a must see. Take the ship's excursion as this is pretty much a full day trip. If you've never heard of The Baths on Virgin Gorda... google it... it's amazing.

For those that have been to the baths before, I suggest taking a taxi out to Cane Garden Bay (nice beach there!) and spending the day at the beach and visiting the 300 year old Callwood Distillery right across the street from the beach. At Callwood they make the fabulous Arundel Rum and you can get some free samples at the distillery. Buy a bottle or two of the 10 year old aged rum, you will love it... so smooth!

Thank you for the information. I'm not a rum drinker but my DH will be more than happy to sample :)

we're comparing the exact same cruises!

We've been to all the ports before but if Tortola is what has you wondering, I say GO!! We've been twice and agree that that The Baths at Virgin Gorda are awesome. I would disagree with taking the ship's tour though. It is absolutely the easiest thing in the world to do on your own. The only benefit to the ship's tour was that they shuttled them to the small ferry dock and their tickets were pre purchased. Unless mobility is a huge issue the walk to the ferry dock takes only about 10 mins and is not confusing whatsoever... you merely follow everyone else because that's where they're all going!!! Then you stand in a very short line to buy your tix. Honestly, the whole thing couldn't be easier. The ship tour guests were on our same ferry and most of them decided to walk the 10 mins back to the ship rather than take the shuttle that they'd paid an additional $30 pp for so they could peruse the little trinket booths on the way :-)

we're comparing the exact same cruises!

We've been to all the ports before but if Tortola is what has you wondering, I say GO!! We've been twice and agree that that The Baths at Virgin Gorda are awesome. I would disagree with taking the ship's tour though. It is absolutely the easiest thing in the world to do on your own. The only benefit to the ship's tour was that they shuttled them to the small ferry dock and their tickets were pre purchased. Unless mobility is a huge issue the walk to the ferry dock takes only about 10 mins and is not confusing whatsoever... you merely follow everyone else because that's where they're all going!!! Then you stand in a very short line to buy your tix. Honestly, the whole thing couldn't be easier. The ship tour guests were on our same ferry and most of them decided to walk the 10 mins back to the ship rather than take the shuttle that they'd paid an additional $30 pp for so they could peruse the little trinket booths on the way :-)

Thanks for the input. We ended up deciding on the Getaway. With a 12 year old son we thought the itinerary of the Escape might be a little boring for him and we adults honestly have no desire to see Nassau. Someday I will get to The Baths....:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
I used to live on St. Thomas & I booked the Escape because of the Tortola port.

Cane Garden Bay on Tortola is one of the most beautiful beaches anywhere. The Baths at Virgin Gorda are wonderful.

The excursions for the Escape are not posted yet, except for Nassau, but you should be able to do either one of the above trips either with the ship or independently. There are also great snorkeling & diving excursions offered to some of the smaller islands & even some wreck diving. Jost Van Dyke is also a lovely island to visit.

Also I'm a realist & realize the itinerary may not be set in stone yet. It would not surprise me to see Cuba replace Nassau on some of the itineraries at some point.how soon who knows?

Wonder who will add Cuba first to their itinerary? Looking forward to that.