Question about airline tickets

ncamy

We bought our airline tickets almost a year in advance of our Alaskan cruise next summer. My question is since our tickets are paid for in full is there any way that the airlines could make us pay more now that fuel has gone up so much? We don't fly very often so I'm not very familiar with typical policies.

I was talking about this at work on Friday, because we have also paid for our tickets for our cruise next week. A co-worker said that she was once charged an extra amount for tickets already paid in full because fuel prices had soared-those who didn't want to pay were given a refund of their fare. This was apparently something they collected at the airport the day of the flight. I think you should check directly with the airline or your T/A to double check.

Royal's brochure seems to state that your cruise price is fixed once the deposit is made but goverment agencies can change the taxes, fees or surcharges. Not sure about airlines but assume it's the same. Big question is so the airlines/cruiseline just absorb the additional cost for those already booked. Never heard of someone getting hit with surcharges after the fact but if there has been sure you came to the right place to find out.

As stated in another post you might want to chek your flight since you booked so far out. I book flights for my huband several times a week and about every 3 months they change their flight times & scheduals. If its a popular flight it generally stays the same but I would sure check. He recenly lost his favorite Reno/Denver flight and just hope it pops back up in 3 months.

BonVoyage

Dawna

There have been instances where fuel surcharges have been added after the fact. Clients were given the option of cancelling.

The same holds true for government fees and taxes increasing after the fact. More often than not, I've just taken the additional amounts out of my commission.

I was talking about this at work on Friday, because we have also paid for our tickets for our cruise next week. A co-worker said that she was once charged an extra amount for tickets already paid in full because fuel prices had soared-those who didn't want to pay were given a refund of their fare. This was apparently something they collected at the airport the day of the flight. I think you should check directly with the airline or your T/A to double check.

WOW! I was an airline reservations agent and a ticket agent for 10 years (80's and early 90's,) and the rules always were (for domestic flights anyway) once a ticket was purchased, one couldn't be charged additional, regardless of how much the fares or fuel increased. We weren't seeing the rising gas prices then, though, as we are now.

My friends are traveling on the Brilliance on Oct 2nd to the Med. They had already paid the final payment. Because of the fuel tax increase, they all had to pay an additional $60/per person for their airline tickets. My friend is also my TA and she told us that the airlines can assess and collect an increase right up to check in. :eek:

We are not traveling with them this year, and are waiting to see if there is an increase for us for our sailing on 10/29 to the southern caribbean on the Serenade.:confused:

Archived