Old San Juan Safety

Pooh8941

I will sailing on the Adventurer of the Seas in 2016 with a friend. We are thinking of staying in Old San Juan for 2 nights before we sail, perhaps at El Convento, which has good reviews. Is the area safe at night for two senior ladies. We love Old San Juan, but want to feel comfortable. We are active, not ancient. :):)

I will sailing on the Adventurer of the Seas in 2016 with a friend. We are thinking of staying in Old San Juan for 2 nights before we sail, perhaps at El Convento, which has good reviews. Is the area safe at night for two senior ladies. We love Old San Juan, but want to feel comfortable. We are active, not ancient. :):)

You will be fine and perfectly safe. There is one area of old san juan that is not safe, but you won't wander there by accident. It is the area below by the graveyard between the two forts. You can see it from the sidewalk that you walk on between the forts. Other than that, no problems!

Make sure to have some of the icecream/gelato stuff they sell in street carts. It's SO yummy!

Never stayed in old san jaun, but will be this coming Summer.

We will also be staying at the El Convento.

We have been to Old San Jaun numerous times, but always during the day with plenty of tourists walking about off the cruise ships....so feeling safe was not an issue at all...

Having said that, lets just say I am extremely "Street Smart" (takes one to Know one? In my youth...)

Right outside the El convento there is a small park/square...with plenty of locals hanging out. Most looked innocent enough, but a few..the red flags went up...

Also across the street on the steps of the cathedral was a popular spot.

Lets just say if I was looking for something, I think I found the people who could help me.

And you can find this in ANY city/town if you know what to look for.

During the day with plenty of tourists around, not a big deal...but when we stay there next summer, and if we choose to go out at night, after the cruise ships have left, I will be on my guard.

But that's just my 2 cents worth.

I live in OSJ and have never had a problem day or night. There is always a high police presence in the tourist areas. I am not from PR (wife is active duty military). Just like others have mentioned - use common sense, be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine. OSJ is just like any other city in the world.

One of our favorite walks is to stroll the Paseo down towards El Morro at twilight. OSJ. Be sure to bring your camera!