Fantasy or Pride

TwinsXTwo

I live in VA and I'm looking for a cruise from a drive-able port. Charleston is 7 hours and Baltimore is 2 hours by car. Me and my 4 children are going. For the Pride, we would need 2 rooms. Fantasy has a 5 person OV cabin - we've done these 5 person cabins before so the size is not an issue. Itinerary is exactly the same - 7 days, Bahamas. Pride is about $1400 more. So, it comes down to the $, ship and convenience. I'm not sure if an extra 5 hours in a car with my loves is worth saving $1400!!!

So, what can you tell me about the ships?? My kids are super active and LOVE water slides and outdoor activities. I like the shows and entertainment.

I've done some searches, but I'd like some opinions from people who have been on the ships recently.

Thanks!!

My experiences aren't particularly recent - Fantasy 7-day in 2011 and Pride 7-day in 2012 - but I liked both cruises. Pride has far more "bells and whistles," if that's important - things like specialty dining, and she's gone through drydock recently. She also has the new add-ons like Guy's Burgers. They're really good - I had four on our cruise on Glory last summer:D. She also has a new water park on deck 10.

Fantasy is the oldest ship in the fleet, but she has a very nice water park for the kids - and not just the kids. I went down the slides a number of times at age 51.:p

I sailed the Fantasy a few years back and she is one of my favorite ships. Both ships have waterslides but your kids might enjoy the Fantasy's a little more. Even though, the Pride has most of the 2.0 upgrades I would NEVER spend that much more money to go on the Pride. I think it is worth the extra 5 hours in the car. You can save the $1400 for another cruise! :)

Splendor is coming to Norfolk in May and October. But the prices are pretty crazy right now.

Yes indeed! I booked a year ago for Bermuda, and I can't believe what it's gone up to, since then!

Between the two choices in this thread, I'd go for Fantasy out of Charleston, but that's only because I've never been on that class of ship before.

Being more objective, I think I'd go with Pride out of Baltimore. Great ship and new upgrades!

For five hours, there's no way I'd spend 1400 more dollars. I'd view that like I would a work day. Where can you work five hours and make 1400 dollars?!

The Fantasy is great and with the same itinerary, I say grab the less expensive one and then treat yourself to another short vacation later in the year!

I live in NJ, I'd opt for the Fantasy. 10.5 hr drive for me and a hotel stay. Still leaves a $1,000 savings. I ballparked $400 for gas, hotel, 2 dinners and misc. I've done this trip many times, that's our average R/T cost. It would be way less for you.

For five hours, there's no way I'd spend 1400 more dollars. I'd view that like I would a work day. Where can you work five hours and make 1400 dollars?!

The Fantasy is great and with the same itinerary, I say grab the less expensive one and then treat yourself to another short vacation later in the year!

Yeah, I'm totally not in that line of work...sounds illegal!! :)

My experiences aren't particularly recent - Fantasy 7-day in 2011 and Pride 7-day in 2012 - but I liked both cruises. Pride has far more "bells and whistles," if that's important - things like specialty dining, and she's gone through drydock recently. She also has the new add-ons like Guy's Burgers. They're really good - I had four on our cruise on Glory last summer:D. She also has a new water park on deck 10.

Fantasy is the oldest ship in the fleet, but she has a very nice water park for the kids - and not just the kids. I went down the slides a number of times at age 51.:p

The water park is really important to me bc that alone could make my kids happy. They LOVE water. :D

I know they would also love Prides Guys Burgers, but really how much time per day would you spend eating burgers vs. time per day at the water park!

The water park is really important to me bc that alone could make my kids happy. They LOVE water. :D

I know they would also love Prides Guys Burgers, but really how much time per day would you spend eating burgers vs. time per day at the water park!

Pride now has a water works with twister slide, green thunder, and other new water works features.

Pride now has a water works with twister slide, green thunder, and other new water works features.

I have tried with limited success to find a pic of the new 2.0 Pride waterworks. Can anyone help?

The green Thunder is the free fall? Is there a height/weight restriction?

Splendor is coming to Norfolk in May and October. But the prices are pretty crazy right now.

I wish they would sail all year from Norfolk (or at least more), my kids are in school in May and October... :cool:

I have tried with limited success to find a pic of the new 2.0 Pride waterworks. Can anyone help?

The green Thunder is the free fall? Is there a height/weight restriction?

Found a website with some info and pics. And yes green thunder is the free fall slide

http://therebelchick.com/carnival-pride-offers-seven-day-caribbean-cruises-port-tampa/

Found a website with some info and pics. And yes green thunder is the free fall slide

http://therebelchick.com/carnival-pride-offers-seven-day-caribbean-cruises-port-tampa/

Thanks!! Looks like fun. And then I found this about the restrictions:

Here are the rules for the Green Thunder. I thought it was great.

FYI - When you are at the end of the slide, make sure to hold your nose closed or water will go up your nostrils.

GreenThunderRules_zpsfbbdb0fa.jpg

image.jpg.f97589211187365fe80e0764fbbcc197.jpg

We had the same problem and went with the Fantasy. We haven't been on either ship though so I can't help you out there. We are from West Virginia under 2 hours from B-More and 9 hours to Charleston. I really really really wanted to go with the pride because of the 2.0 upgrades and how close it was to us but I just couldn't spend $1000 more (with gas money and hotel taken out). I really wish we could stuff 5 in a room. Then we would have went with the pride for sure. My twins sleep in a queen size bed with us when they are sick so we could make it work lol. I sadly don't think we will ever go out of Baltimore because of that cost jump. We are already planing our next cruise on either the Sunshine or Breeze and spending that extra $1000 to go to universal the day before our cruise. So much more fun things to do with a $1000 that driving doesn't really bother us. Plus all we have to do is put movies on in the car and the kids zone out for hours :).

I found a Fantasy cruise review from 2013 or 14. The person posted the show times for the week and a majority of the times were at 10pm with no earlier option.

Has anyone been on the Fantasy recently? Are the shows still so late?

Having sailed on both ships, my vote is for the Pride hands down! If I had sailed on the Fantasy as my first cruise I'm not sure I would've ever cruised again. Thankfully I had already experienced other Carnival ships before I sailed the Fantasy so I knew that there was so much more out there, and in my opinion the Fantasy isn't the anywhere near a good representation of what Carnival has to offer. $1400 is a lot of money though, so if you do choose Fantasy just be prepared to not really be wowed. It's a much older and smaller ship and I just was not a fan. On the other hand we absolutely loved every single thing about the Pride and can't wait to sail her again. She's a great ship and the service we experienced was phenomenal. Our experience on the Fantasy wasn't bad, it was just a basic no frills kind of cruise. You can still have a good time if you choose the Fantasy, but in my opinion you'll have a GREAT time on the Pride.

Haven't been on those ships but I have been on their sisters.

All things being equal I'd go on the Pride. But, for you, they're not equal. Nothing wrong with the Fantasy class but giving the choice....

So the decision comes down to --- is a second bathroom worth $1400?

(I'm a Southern Californian. Driving five hours is not a big deal, lol.)

Edited by SadieN

I found a Fantasy cruise review from 2013 or 14. The person posted the show times for the week and a majority of the times were at 10pm with no earlier option.

Has anyone been on the Fantasy recently? Are the shows still so late?

We were on the Fantasy in 2013 and there are definitely early shows. We had first seating dinner at 6, and there was a show every night immediately following.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

So I almost feel that you are comparing apples to oranges here. I have been on both ships, and I am actually going back on the Fantasy for my 3rd anniversary in May. Went on the PRIDE on my honeymoon, Fantasy for my 1st anniversary. While the Pride has more, and is bigger, newer and seems very much bigger than the Fantasy (cause, well, it IS!), it can be reflected in the lines for food, and at the pool (Serenity deck for us). Yes, the Fantasy is the smallest and oldest ship. I love it as well. Been 3 years since I was on the Pride. But for me, other than I live 4 hours from Charleston, the deciding factor is the city itself. If you have never been to Charleston, you should choose the Fantasy and spend some pre-cruise or post cruise time in this beautiful place. It seems like a personal choice and everyone is different but I do want to toss in the lure of beautiful and charming Charleston itself as a factor to consider. Good luck on your choice and enjoy whatever ship you chose!!